PDA

View Full Version : Ascend 170SE owners, how's it compare to X-LS encore

kazza2ud
07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeap. How's the 170SE compare to the X-LS encore? From the av123 forum people say the 170SE has more clarity and upper range, and is more forward, while the x-ls encore sounds a little "smoother" or "laid back" lacks some of the clarity and upper range but perhaps has more lower range. Some people reported listening fatigue with the 170SE. One contradiction is one person said they have the same low frequency response, same bass.

Most people on the AV123 forum preferred or recommended the X-LS encore (surprise), though many said it's a matter of preference, but when the encores are on sale they're far cheaper than the 170SEs and should break the "tie."

It took like a week for my account here to finally get cleared, so now I'm wondering what your guys' perspective is. My use for these speakers will be a mix of home theater (DVD/bluray), PS3 games, and music.

Any input or suggestions you guys have would be great! Thanks. :D

curtis
07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
The name of the game with Ascends is balance/accuracy what is recorded is what they give you....they don't add warmth or smoothness. If the recording is forward, that's what you get, if it is laid back...you get that, if it is harsh...that comes through too, no added weight to the bass or treble. IMO, a speaker shouldn't change what it is given to reproduce.

The best suggestion anybody can ever give you is to compare them yourself with your equipment, room, and music.

DougMac
07-16-2008, 05:37 AM
I've never heard the Encore's so I can't help with a comparison. What I can add is that my buying experience with Ascend was very postive. They are eager to help you make a good decision. I also found the build quality of the speakers to be top notch.

I checked th AV123 web site and notice the Encore's are backordered with no estimate on when they will ship. If you're planning to buy in the near future, that may be a factor.

I'll add to Curtis' remarks. I think your initial reaction to Ascends will depend on your speaker history. Prior to purchasing my Ascends, I had Boston Acoustics CR9's and a Roy Allison designed RA Labs Monitor series speaker. The RA Labs are sealed two way with 10" woofers. My son describes their sound as "fun, but not even close to accurate".

I bought Ascends for my new HT, consisting of 340 SE's for the fronts, 170 SE's for side surround and a pair of used "classic" 200's for back surround. The Ascends were a revelation. I'm hearing far more detail than I'd heard before. Also gone is the midbass hump that makes a lot of speakers sound nice on first impression, but can make singers sound chesty.

I haven't suffered from listener fatigue with the Ascends. I'm wondering if those who did had them cranked using puny amps. Also, I don't know if it's break in or acclimation, but after a couple of weeks it seems that the speakers just opened up, especially in the lows to mid lows.

I see from the other forum that you'll use them in an apartment. Since subwoofers can cause problems with the neighbors, you might consider if your budget can swing it using Sierra's for fronts. They have extended bass that in your circumstance might be a better solution.

Doug