PDA

View Full Version : Have the 340se mains changed in any way recently?

djejtex
06-20-2008, 06:03 AM
I've had a 340se center for a little over a year now, using it with 170se's for L/R. I just received my 340se mains yesterday and set them up.

A few things I noticed......
- The woofer on the 340 mains look 'sparklier' than the center, and is also a different shade (it's a little deeper in color).

- The rubber surround on the woofer of the L/R speakers is a little more loose (feels 'fluffier'/has more give) than the center speaker.

- The actual cabinet of the main is slightly darker/deeper in color, and has a smoother texture than the center (slight, but you can feel the difference).

It sounds really good so far, I was just wondering if all the speakers are supposed to be EXACTLY the same, or if these small differences between the 340 L/R vs the center are normal.

BTW...my 170's woofers look exactly like the center, as well as the cabinet color and texture.

ALL of the speakers I am mentioning are SE's!!!

curtis
06-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Probably just cosmetic differences due to different production runs.

Did you purchase all the speakers directly from Ascend?

djejtex
06-20-2008, 07:19 AM
They are all purchased from Ascend. I do believe it's mostly cosmetic, but the rubber surround is definately different. The rubber surrounds on the center are a bit tighter, but this is the speaker I've had for a while. So if anything, it seems that break in would have loosened it up, but the mains are the ones that are more loose, and they're brand new. No big deal. I love them all :)

Mr.Lawrence
06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Is your center a CMT-340se or Classic?

djejtex
06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
it's an se

davef
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi djejtex,

I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying the speakers!

A few things I noticed......
- The woofer on the 340 mains look 'sparklier' than the center, and is also a different shade (it's a little deeper in color).

Production run variances... There is no difference at all in the materials, sometimes there are differences in how our vendor mixes the various dyes used. Nearly impossible to perfectly match this type of woofer from one production run to another, although they have gotten much better.

The rubber surround on the woofer of the L/R speakers is a little more loose (feels 'fluffier'/has more give) than the center speaker.)

Also possible -- the compliance of the woofer is determined by several factors, including the spider. The surround is only one component of the suspension system. For example, if the surround is more compliant, the spider needs to be less compliant. It is a conscious effort on our part to keep performance from one production run to another as consistent as possible. Driver materials are constantly changing and one way we try to keep performance the same is by tweaking parameters one way to compensate for another. This is why we keep a measurement database of every loudspeaker that has ever shipped...

The actual cabinet of the main is slightly darker/deeper in color, and has a smoother texture than the center (slight, but you can feel the difference)..

How long ago did you order the center? Much like veneers, there will be minor differences in the laminates from one production run to another. However, it should not be that noticeable. We do clean the cabinets with a solution that does have a tendency to darken the finish ever so slightly, we started using this about 1.5 years ago.

It sounds really good so far, I was just wondering if all the speakers are supposed to be EXACTLY the same, or if these small differences between the 340 L/R vs the center are normal.)

If you ordered the speakers within a year of each other, I would say that there would be no detectable cosmetic differences. However, as I mentioned, if the spread between purchases is long enough, there could very well be minor cosmetic differences.

BTW...my 170's woofers look exactly like the center, as well as the cabinet color and texture..)

I suspect you ordered the CBM-170s at the same time you ordered the center :)

Hope this helps and take care!

djejtex
06-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Thank you for the in depth reply...It all makes perfect sense. I think that the center was probably purchased more than a 1.5 years ago (the 170s were purchased at the same time) --so I completely understand potential for slight variances (not that noticable all).

I was just looking them over real good, like I do everthing :D

Enjoying the 340s....such a wonderful speaker!!!!!!!!

davef
06-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Thank you for the in depth reply...It all makes perfect sense. I think that the center was probably purchased more than a 1.5 years ago (the 170s were purchased at the same time) --so I completely understand potential for slight variances (not that noticable all).

I was just looking them over real good, like I do everthing :D

Enjoying the 340s....such a wonderful speaker!!!!!!!!

You are most welcome!!!!