PDA

View Full Version : What might be missed going from 170SE to 340SE/ 340SE to Sierra-1

VanJerry
05-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Hello all from Vancouver Canada:

As I am carried on the currents of upgraditus (the benign pre-order, pre-delivery variety) it has occasionally gnawed at me: What would I have been missing out on if I had gone for 170SE mains - in terms of both music and movies.

I feel starting with the 340's is the safest bet for me to avoid multiple rounds of shipping/duties etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy. But only recently, from all the reviews and forum comments, the 170's were my solid choice. They still seem like they are pretty amazing accomplishments.

So on behalf of the many who may be in a similar boat over the 340SE, I ask those of you now enjoying their Sierra's, what was unique about the 340SE? And to 340 owners who once only had 170's... what was their special something?

For me this question is to ease my "curiosity remorse" (vs buyer's remorse - of which I have no fear of in selecting any Ascend.) Perhaps for others this might provide an additional angle for them to make up their minds... a quality that will allow them to say: "yes, I can't quite spring for the 340 or Sierra-1 right now but that's not entirely bad - here's the good side to that..."

Thank you.

- VanJerry

curtis
05-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think you will be missing out on anything.

VanJerry
05-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello Curtis,

Sure enough. But what inspired this thread was the Sept 07 SoundstageAV.com Sierra-1 review by Doug Schneider. Even as he raved about the Sierra he had this to say about the humble 170:

The Sierra-1 sounded well balanced from top to bottom of the audioband, even if it didn't seem quite as unfalteringly neutral as the CBM-170 had in my room...

....Ascend Acoustics succeeded admirably with the CBM-170 by offering unprecedented neutrality for an unthinkably low price. Their Sierra-1 ups the ante in detail and resolution, and let me hear further into recordings than any other moderately priced speaker I know of.

Pretty amazing to read. Made me wonder about other's experiences.

-VanJerry

curtis
05-17-2008, 05:26 PM
I just changed the thread title at your request.

"Their Sierra-1 ups the ante in detail and resolution, and let me hear further into recordings than any other moderately priced speaker I know of."

I would say the same thing going from the 340's to Sierra.

Mike^S
05-17-2008, 07:35 PM
The CBM-170SE is a fantastic speaker. It has a ruler flat frequency response. I would say the main advantage with the 340SE would be higher output with less distortion. If you are in a smaller room or don't need to play at very high volumes, the 170SE would be just fine. The Sierras are on a higher level with their bamboo cabinets and higher quality drivers.

curtis
05-17-2008, 08:14 PM
The Sierras are on a higher level with their bamboo cabinets and higher quality drivers.
I would also add to that the OPPIX crossover.

VanJerry
05-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Thank you Curtis, and Mike^S.

Well, let's say it's a given Ascend has put a whole lot more into each next model or they wouldn't be charging more for them ;) Perhaps the word "missed" wasn't a good choice as it may infer a negative regret. I'm looking to reveal the unique gifts of each Ascend model that come easy to appreciate even against the superiorities of your upgraded Ascends.

It might be subtle or not, but what are those things that leave you with a lingering fondness even as you migrate to each more sophisticated Ascend speaker.

So far, there is the ruler flat linearity of the CBM-170. Perhaps that's the only example in the product line so far. It is natural for Ascend at this stage in its growth and while establishing a catalog that each next model be better in practically every way than the one before it. I think unlike most other brands and some other ID's Ascend has been stellar in maintaining it's focus on this and not diluting its efforts towards marketing compromise and early profit taking.

I am in no way trying to detract from any next model up. My theory here is that a soundshop as inspired, accomplished and dedicated to sound quality as Ascend - an enterprise that is always trying to outdo itself - runs the happy risk of creating unique works touching on timeless genius.

So, while David fully intended and succeeded in making the 340 outdo the 170 in higher output with less distortion, it would be noteworthy if however in addition to its linearity the 170 had some other special skills or unique qualities... Oh, say a certain capacity at lower volume levels. Perhaps after getting the Sierra you recall how at least for you the 340 had a unique talent for a certain kind of music. I'm just hunting here...

I suppose in part this is an emotional question. But emotions are just as valid. In a family the older kids may have developed more strengths but there are these things that endear you to the little ones too.

DougMac
05-19-2008, 05:51 AM
I just received 340's as LCR and 170's as surrounds. I also have a pair of 200 classics.

I think it's easier to talk about their similarities than differences. They blend well, I think you can use them in a home theater and they will seamlessly fill the room.

I did a lot of listening over the weekend in different locations, mostly to music in 2 channel mode. The differences I noticed, listening to music in a normal size room at reasonable volume levels are as you would expect. The 340's go a little deeper. While adding a sub does give you more depth, the 340's, at least to me, acquit themselves nicely.

My son brought over some music to audition, including some hip hop. We played the 340's, along with a SVS PB-12 NSD sub at what I consider insanely loud levels. I never heard any distress from the 340's. I didn't try the 170's this loud.

I haven't heard any Sierra's, so I can't compare.

One thing I did notice is the 340's are good enough that you can hear distinct differences in placement. I set them on the rug in the great room when I first got them. The upper bass/low midrange lacked definition. I then moved them to proper speaker height and everything cleared up. We set up the 340's in the unfinished home theater. I'll be using an acoustically transparent screen and we were testing whether to place the L/R behind or to the side of the screen. When placed in the behind-the-screen position, I pointed them straight ahead, since that's how they'll need to be oriented. I toe'd them in when beside. My wife could hear a slight difference, but couldn't put her finger on it and wasn't sure if she prefered one of the other. The biggest difference I heard was a slight high bass/low midrange improvement, enough to vote for the next to the screen placement.

What are you listening to now? I have decidely "warm" speakers and the Ascend's accuracy sounds distinctly different.

Doug

VanJerry
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Well Doug,

I've had a pair of Totem Arros for 5 years. (Sonus Faber Concertinos before that.)

The Arros are pretty neutral and known for their accurate sense of speed and timing. Enough to be able to name drop (I found out recently) that Dianna Krall has them. So though the Arro is the low floorstander on the Totem pole in price and size even people who have extravagantly upgraded their systems find it still has a uniquely useful personality. I'm looking at whether there is some lateral information to help people see each individual Ascend as much in this way as each deserves.

BTW I'm not trying to promote Totems here in any way - in fact since I discovered Ascend I find it a bit of a turn-off to think so much of the cost of other speakers is split to various middlemen instead of being concentrated in the sound for its listeners and the reward for its creators - but I kind of saw how they and Ascend and a few others are closer to master craftsmen creating musical and now increasingly musical/scientific instruments. Their technical and business approaches may be entirely different but the byproduct of their acoustic sincerity are these occasional unique personalities in speaker form.

Some day there will be more Ascends to choose from and one of the angles David may take in deciding to go this way or that may be informed by owner comments to these kinds of lateral questions.

I like what you said about analysis paralysis (followed by a sense of immediate need :)) I'm hoping this thread provides some fresh angles to those suffering from that kind of overload. There's nothing like knowing which one will follow you home to shake things up, eh? :D

- Say, if something strikes you listening at some lower volume levels please consider posting on my other thread: Best Low Volume performance: CMT-340 SE or Sierra-1? (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3531)