PDA

View Full Version : Sierra's BSC

openwheelracing
05-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I hope Dave or someone can share this for my curious mind. If not, I understand.

What is the amount of BSC applied to the Sierras?

curtis
05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I hope Dave or someone can share this for my curious mind. If not, I understand.

If there is any, I would think that is part of the secret sauce. :)

davef
05-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Just the right amount... :D

All of our products use similar amounts of baffle step compensation, and always will.

Most curious as to why you would want to know this?

openwheelracing
05-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Just curious. Judging by your wording, I think I can make an educated guess. :)

buddhadas
05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm baffled what in the world is "baffle step compensation"?

rogerm
05-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I was curious also. Here's a link to Jim Salks explanation of BSC.
www.salksound.com/bsc.html

davef
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Just curious. Judging by your wording, I think I can make an educated guess. :)

No problem.. Only reason I asked was that there seem to be 1 or 2 audio enthusiasts out there going around and privately telling people that our Sierra-1 lacks baffle step compensation, which is completely without merit.

I always find it interesting examining the various criticisms created by competitors directed toward our products. With the CBM-170 -- it is ugly. With the CMT-340 center -- it is an MTM, now with the Sierra-1 -- it lacks baffle step compensation (can't say it is ugly or an MTM anymore, eh? :p) I only wish we were able to keep Sierra-1 in stock :o

Funny thing is with all those *negative* comments, we have been copied by nearly everyone now...

Whatever our next product is, it could be fun to guess what the next absurd criticism will be. Perhaps the labels on the back are too large or too small, or the serial number is too long. :p

buddhadas
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks.

davef
05-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I was curious also. Here's a link to Jim Salks explanation of BSC.
www.salksound.com/bsc.html

That is a very good explanation...

I won't publicly discuss our various techniques or my personal experience, but let me just say that we introduced a loudspeaker 6-7 years ago that addressed baffle step compensaton that extended past the physical dimensions of the loudspeaker -- the CMT-340 center with EXBAC (EXtended BAffle Compensation). It took many years, but once again, this concept has been copied by several of our competitors.

If I find the time, I will post some measurements of the Sierra-1 with and without BSC, and put an end to some of this nonsense being spread around.

openwheelracing
05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I've always felt the Sierras very balanced. Most accurate and perhaps best "dynamic" I've heard. I have a pair of diy speakers and recently moved. The new room is larger with tall ceiling and hardwood floor (soon to add carpet). The back of the couch is right up against the wall. I now find the lower end too forward and unrealistic. Mainly drums. Mids are recessed as well. I figure I could play around with reduced BSC (after carpet). Perhaps someone can help me understand the effects of:

Tall ceiling: I went from regular apartment to tall ceiling.

Hardwood floor: I can add carpet (maybe just a rug).

Sitting against wall: My old room is open to the dining room so I had tons of space behind seating position.

No problem.. Only reason I asked was that there seem to be 1 or 2 audio enthusiasts out there going around and privately telling people that our Sierra-1 lacks baffle step compensation, which is completely without merit.

I always find it interesting examining the various criticisms created by competitors directed toward our products. With the CBM-170 -- it is ugly. With the CMT-340 center -- it is an MTM, now with the Sierra-1 -- it lacks baffle step compensation (can't say it is ugly or an MTM anymore, eh? :p) I only wish we were able to keep Sierra-1 in stock :o

Funny thing is with all those *negative* comments, we have been copied by nearly everyone now...

Whatever our next product is, it could be fun to guess what the next absurd criticism will be. Perhaps the labels on the back are too large or too small, or the serial number is too long. :p

davef
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I've always felt the Sierras very balanced. Most accurate and perhaps best "dynamic" I've heard. I have a pair of diy speakers and recently moved. The new room is larger with tall ceiling and hardwood floor (soon to add carpet). The back of the couch is right up against the wall. I now find the lower end too forward and unrealistic. Mainly drums. Mids are recessed as well. I figure I could play around with reduced BSC (after carpet). Perhaps someone can help me understand the effects of:

Tall ceiling: I went from regular apartment to tall ceiling.

Hardwood floor: I can add carpet (maybe just a rug).

Sitting against wall: My old room is open to the dining room so I had tons of space behind seating position.

You are getting bass reinforcement, reducing the amount of BSC can help bring the mids more forward and regain some balance. However, it will not resolve the problems with the lower end. If you absolutely must have the speakers in this location, you can add a series notch filter to the woofer filter section to help reduce the bump in the response. This might be the better overall solution. If properly executed, you won't need to adjust BSC.