PDA

View Full Version : Hunting down an old post by davef...

GirgleMirt
05-10-2008, 06:53 AM
I remember reading a post by davef which was discussing the Sierra tweeter if I remember correctly... I think someone was comparing it to the ScanSpeak Air-Circ tweeter which was being portrayed as the ultimate tweeter and davef said that he would instead choose another tweeter over the Air-Circ... (This was in relation to the latest SVS speaker). I've tried to find it for the last 30 minutes with no success :( Anyone can help?

I'm asking because I've always been interested in DIY, and am again thinking about buying a digital crossover (http://www.behringer.com/dcx2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG) and fiddling with speaker building... Of course, the tweeter mentioned by Dave is definitely an option I'd like to explore... I already build a sub a few years back so think I'll just go for a 2 way with focuses on highs/mids.

It would be a somewhat reasonable no cost object project, 1000$ for drivers should be plenty, 100-400$ for each driver, and maybe 50-150$ for each tweeter. I'd like to use the 'best', though I'm aware there's not really such a thing, but keeping the prices somewhat reasonable...

Digital crossover seems to be the way to go for me, since I have absolutely no experience with crossovers, and it would allow me to quickly and easily test out different types of crossovers and hear directly their effect. Anyone has any suggestions or advice?

Thanks! :)

curtis
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I think there was a post like that at the AVS forum, but I don't remember Dave actually mentioning a tweeter.

GirgleMirt
05-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Ah thanks curtis! You're right on both accounts :o

Andy,

While you consider those drivers to be the "best" -- I certainly don't and I think I probably have a bit more experience than you in this matter

Why limit yourself with using those supposedly *better* drivers? Why not go for something even better -- or how about MUCH better? Wouldn't that be a better idea?

What about using coincident Berylium drivers? I assure you, the improvement in performance from using one of these drivers to any of the models you mentioned is far more audible than any of our drivers being compared to these *supposedly better because they cost most more* drivers?

The cost of these truly high-performance drivers run 6-10 times the cost of the "best" drivers you mentioned.

In fact, I know of bookshelf style loudspeaker at about $6K pair retail that you can probably purchase at $5K street that uses a tweeter that costs well over $1K to purchase. A speaker that uses a tweeter that retails for about 7 times more than the tweeter in SVS, yet the pair itself only costs 5 times more. Isn't that the better deal?

I think you see my point....