PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

wish
05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member to the Ascend forums and a potential future owner of Ascend speakers.

I've narrowed my choice of 5.0 speakers (going to use an old sub) to Ascend and Axiom with the following four being options with budget being $1500.
1. Ascend CMT-340 SE Mains, CMT-340 SE Center & HTM-200 SE

2. Axiom M22, VP100, QS8

3. Axiom M60, VP100, QS4

4. Ascend CMT-340 SE Mains, CMT-340 SE Center & Axiom QS4 or 8 surrounds

I have an L shaped basement with the main rectangle being 10' wide by 21' long. Main purpose is 2/3 for HT and 1/3 to music. However even though music is only 1/3 my listening time I still consider it equally important. I am an avid classic rock fan and don't want to make compromises in that area.

I know the right way to decide from this point would be to audition both companies but I'm not sure that's going to happen. The WAF of having boxes and boxes in the basement to audition would not be understood as well as the outlay of cash for two systems (never mind that one can be returned + shipping).

I'm leaning towards ordering option 1 as I think the more neutral, laid back aspect of the Ascends provides the best compromise for HT and music. Again, this is all from reading but I've read a TON and think I have an idea of how one sounds to the other. If I'm right, and knowing my tastes, the Ascends sound like what I'm looking for in a speaker. If I like the LCR but not the direct aspect of the HTM-200 as surrounds I might send them back and try the Axiom QS. If I find that I'm wrong, I'll send the whole lot back and then give Axiom a whirl.

Anyway, that's the verbose description of where I'm at and why I'm here.

Thanks,
Rick

Mike^S
05-11-2008, 11:51 PM
I used to own a pair of Axiom m2i. I was pretty happy with them although they did seem a bit bright at times. I've also owned the Ascend 170s and 340s. Although I never did a direct comparison with the Axioms, the Ascends definitely sound more neutral and smooth to me.

DougMac
05-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Welcome Rick!

I, too have done a lot of research over the last six months and until I discovered Ascends, Axioms were at the top of my list. Axioms are well regarded and many love their sound. I became concerned, though, since several reviews indicated they sounded bright, which becomes harsh when driven hard.

Your choice #1 is almost exactly what I just ordered. The 170's are on sale and are just a little more than the 200's. Unless WAF is a concern, you might consider them. The sale ends soon, though.

I bought a pair of used classic 200's to get a feel for Ascends. They sound great and based on that I ordered my 340s and 170s.

Good luck.

martinpaul12
09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well,I stop here to say big Hello to each and every member of this community.My name is Martin from California want to share my ideas and knowledge with others.I am happy if some one from this community want to communicate with me on general issues.

Thanks