PDA

View Full Version : Is my Denon 3806 good enough?

Mr.Lawrence
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I have been researching speakers since late December '07, and I'm beginning to get weary. :(

The Sierra-1 seem like the best choice dollars to performance. However, it seems many have separates for processing and amplification. I thought that my Denon was a good AVR when I bought it about 1.5 years ago. I'm just not sure that it will make the Sierra's perform their best??? Will my Denon provide "ample" headroom for the Sierra's?

Or, are the 340SE a better choice for the amplification I have?

Use: 85% HT, 10% Music

I realize that I can purchase them then return them, but I really want to be done. The process of researching, learning and visiting shops to demo speakers has been fun, but there is a level of stress involved for me.

Thanks

blindcat7
03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
I would think it would be more than good enough. My Sierras sound great with my Panasonic SA-XR57 and my old Denon AVR-3300.

I have always been of the school of thought of A/V that speakers are the thing to update first. I would rather have a set of first class speakers and a crappy reciever or preamp/amp than the other way around. Since your reciever is far and away from being in the realm of crappy, in fact I don't think even Denon's entry level offerings fall into that category, the Sierras should be well served by your 3806. While the Sierras are not as easy to drive as the 340s, I do not think they are extremely hard to drive. As long as the amplification one uses is enough to meet the minimum requirements of the Sierras, they should do fine.

I think you will greatly enjoy the Sierras and that you might find yourself listening to more music on them than you have on other speakers. Particularly if you listen to SACDs and DVD-As. If you do not, I would suggest looking at one of Oppo's offerings in universal players to try high definition audio out. If you don't care to try that out, the Sierras will still do amazing things for movies and standard CDs. I have found that even audio from Dish Network programming sounds much better on my system since going with Ascends.

Chris

I have been researching speakers since late December '07, and I'm beginning to get weary. :(

The Sierra-1 seem like the best choice dollars to performance. However, it seems many have separates for processing and amplification. I thought that my Denon was a good AVR when I bought it about 1.5 years ago. I'm just not sure that it will make the Sierra's perform their best??? Will my Denon provide "ample" headroom for the Sierra's?

I realize that I can purchase them then return them, but I really want to be done. The process of researching, learning and visiting shops to demo speakers has been fun, but there is a level of stress involved for me.

Thanks

Mike^S
03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Yup, should be fine. I'm running my Sierras with a Denon 2805 with no problems. A higher powered amp may improve performance but the 2805 still works fine.

buddhadas
03-27-2008, 12:11 AM
you should be good to go. Originally, I was using the Sierra's with my Denon 3806 and it was wonderful. I have since changed the Sierra's to my two channel rig.

Peace,

Jim

Gov
03-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Answer: Yes!

Mr.Lawrence
03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like my Denon AVR will be sufficient for the Sierra's. I just need to decide if 3 Sierra's or three 340SE's are better for HT. The sound of music is important, but HT must be outstanding.

It seems some prefer 340's for HT.

One thing is certain, my next speaker purchase will be Ascend!

Sam AV
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
No, your 3806 will not work with the Sierra's. You should box it up and send it to me :D

In all seriousness, I think it would be a great combination.

P Seastrand
03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I can't give you any feedback on the Sierra's since I don't have any. However, I have the 3806 with the 340's across the front and 170's in the back and they sound wonderful for HT. If you have a large room, you might want to lean towards the 340's because of their better efficiency, but I don't think it's a major factor.

lakaw
03-28-2008, 05:00 AM
I just recently purchased Sierra-1's for L-C-R and HTM-200 SE's for surrounds. I'm using a 10+ year old Denon 3600 (non-DTS that's how old it is!) AVR and it works beautifully with the Ascends.

robruffo
04-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Sierras are WAY better for HT than 340ses, which is not to say that the 340s are not superb, they are, but just that the Sierras are sublime. I now feel I could not buy better speakers no matter how much money I had, whereas with the 340s I felt (and knew, after a lot of reserach) that if I had $3500 or so I could do a bit better.. I have had both here, in the same set-up.

Sierra offer more clarity, more detail (especially in low tones, like actors with very low voices, but also all accross the scale), and at the same time, more smoothness. This is less apparent when watching pro-logic stuff, because the source has its limits, but very obvious when watching Blu-Rays or HD-DVDs connected to an HDMI-capable receiver in linear PCM (or via 6 analog cables)

I use a Yamaha 6060, which only has about 90 watts per channels, and without peaking I can drive my Sierra more than loud enough - louder would simply be unpleasant - and this in a HUGE room.

People only say 340s are better for HT because when they get their Sierras, they set their crossover too low. What happens with most receivers is that the LFE channel then ALSO cuts off at that frequency (many consumer products have myriad idiotic "features" like that that Joe Six-Pack is too oblivious to complain about) , so kabooms in movies have less frequency range to kaboom in.

A bettter solution is to nonetheless set your system to 80hrz. Then, when you watch movies with Sierras you will be bathing in a sublime pool of sound beyond compare.

robruffo
04-02-2008, 12:45 AM

Thanks

Man, researching/shopping HT can be really stressful, I totally hear you. Then there is that little voice in your head doing little math equations and trying to figure out what your values are "I could just spend $100 more and get these. What's $100? I spend that on dinner. I'll have these speakers for years! Then again... I've already spent $1500 on the whole kit so maybe $1600 is too much. Wait a minute, I'm a successful guy, and I deserve the best right? But... My wife deserves good things too so... I better make the right choice, since I'm spending all this money..." And so on. Sound familiar?

DougMac
04-02-2008, 03:56 AM

Thanks

What's the other 5%? Poetry? Pink Noise? :D

Research in the internet age can be tiring. Gone are the simple days of going down to the two stereo stores in town and listening the speakers from companies that gave the best margins. All my speaker purchases in the last 20 years have been done in Atlanta, 100 miles away because local stores sold only the speaker version of BPC.

I see internet speaker companies as a wonderful alternative. Listening in the showroom gives only the roughest idea, with no more assurance what you get will be right for you in your listening area.

I'm right where you are, trying to choose between the two. I think responses here and at Home Theater Shack has tilted me towards the Sierra's. Look for my opinions when I buy. I'll be looking for yours.

Doug

Mr.Lawrence
04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Man, researching/shopping HT can be really stressful, I totally hear you. Then there is that little voice in your head doing little math equations and trying to figure out what your values are "I could just spend $100 more and get these. What's $100? I spend that on dinner. I'll have these speakers for years! Then again... I've already spent $1500 on the whole kit so maybe $1600 is too much. Wait a minute, I'm a successful guy, and I deserve the best right? But... My wife deserves good things too so... I better make the right choice, since I'm spending all this money..." And so on. Sound familiar?

You have obviously taken a tour of my mind. :)
It's like controlled schizophrenia! ;)

Mr.Lawrence
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
What's the other 5%? Poetry? Pink Noise? :D

Research in the internet age can be tiring. Gone are the simple days of going down to the two stereo stores in town and listening the speakers from companies that gave the best margins. All my speaker purchases in the last 20 years have been done in Atlanta, 100 miles away because local stores sold only the speaker version of BPC.

I see internet speaker companies as a wonderful alternative. Listening in the showroom gives only the roughest idea, with no more assurance what you get will be right for you in your listening area.

I'm right where you are, trying to choose between the two. I think responses here and at Home Theater Shack has tilted me towards the Sierra's. Look for my opinions when I buy. I'll be looking for yours.

Doug

This is a new experience for me. My first "real" stereo was bought from a department store back in 1977. Ever heard of the Hecht Co.? They sold everything from ladies dresses to wingbacked chairs. :) I didn't have much money. I could only shop at stores that were within walking distance, and everything I listened to sounded better than what I had... have you ever seen the old record players that folded up and then the speakers attached to to the outside to form compact portable system??? That's what I had!:D

Well now I can spend a lot more. I have a car. And the electronics "boutique" 20 minutes away has speakers that cost more than a college education.

Oh, woe is me!!! Woe is me! ;)

robruffo
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
You have obviously taken a tour of my mind. :)
It's like controlled schizophrenia! ;)

Except, for schizophrenia, at least they can give you pills. No pills for this condition yet!

enright
07-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Sorry for reviving this old thread. I was doing some research on wattage for a new amp for my 340s when I came across this thread and began to think: hmmmmm... Sierras... maybe it's time to upgrade speakers too.. hmmmm...

AND THAT'S WHEN YOU READ MY MIND - WORD FOR WORD.

Dinner comparison, the wife, making the right choice - all of it ran through my head not 10 seconds before I read your post. At least I know I am not alone / crazy. MUST. STOP. THINKING. ABOUT. AV EQUIPMENT.

MUST... GET.... BACK... TO... WORK.

John

S_rangeBrew
08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Joe Six-Pack is too oblivious to complain

No "Joe Six-Pack" buys 340SEs. :D

I, however, listen to "Joe Six-Pack" music. That means AC/DC. At proper AC/DC levels on rare occasions. At those moments, the ability of the 340SEs (and their 90db efficiency) to be driven loud by an AVR without clipping is appreciated. :eek: