PDA

View Full Version : Tall stands for 170se's as surrounds

mattopia
03-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi all,

Finally getting around to adding the rear channels to my configuration. I have a pair of 170se's that have more or less been "sitting around" for the past few months waiting to take on their tasks as rear channels in my 5.1 setup.

Now that I'm finally ready to get it set up, I need to find some stands for them. Ideally the stands would be 37-40" tall. I haven't yet been able to find a stand that would handle the size and heft of the 170's at that height. I found the Sanus stands that I use up front in 34", but that's just a hair shorter than I need.

Wall mounting is simply not an option in the room at this time. I'm wondering if anyone else has found a good solid solution. My only other option is to go with a smaller speaker or live with the rears being partially masked with the couch.

kinggimp82
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
i use these stands for surround speakers. i use these stands for some htm-200's but the top plate is large enough for the 170's and its rated to hold 100 pounds.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-SMS6000-Monitor-Stand-Buy-One-Get-One-Free?sku=452067

hope this helps,
andrew

davef
03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
i use these stands for surround speakers. i use these stands for some htm-200's but the top plate is large enough for the 170's and its rated to hold 100 pounds.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-SMS6000-Monitor-Stand-Buy-One-Get-One-Free?sku=452067

Hi Andrew -- thanks for the link to those stands. I too have been looking for something like these :)

mattopia
03-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Ordering a pair right now to try out. Thanks for the link!

mattopia
03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
The checkout process for musiciansfriend.com was a real pain. Even though it says your password must be 4 characters -- it really has to be 7 characters, and contain letters and numbers.

Hopefully I'll save someone else the 30 minutes it took me to figure that out! :)

eRob
03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Let me know how these work for you guys. I think this would be a better aproach than mounting my back 170's.

Jonnyozero3
03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
I have two pair of those stands for my four surrounds - I just realized I never came back to post a review :p. They are great units, and work very well. They;re a little industrial looking, but not overly obtrusive, and entirely functional in all the right ways, in my opinion. A great set and worth checking out, especially for the price.

mattopia
03-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Just set mine up yesterday. Assembly was rediculously easy. One thing to note is that there is no way to run wires through the tubing like with other stands, so you will need to use some wire ties or something to help hide or control the cables.

The "platform" is pretty much the exact size of the 170s, so it's a perfect fit. It also has foam padding to protect the speaker and prevent it from slipping. I haven't done anything other than sit the 170s on the stands. At about 38" high it feels pretty stable.

I also agree that they are a little "industrial" looking. I definitely wouldn't use them for my fronts. The girlfriend hasn't complained (yet), but she usually lets me get away with anything electronics related. (Also, based on what I've read, GAF might be a bit easier to obtain than WAF...) :D

One irritation, the base of one of the two stands I received has some leftover tiny metal shreds or something that rattle around if you shake the base. I've been listening for any signs of resonance during speaker use and I don't hear anything, so I'm not going to bother with a return or anything.

As long as you're going for functional over elegant, these stands will fit the bill.

robruffo
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
(Also, based on what I've read, GAF might be a bit easier to obtain than WAF...) :D

ha ha ha - that's true for more than speakers!