PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1's on their side?

Pilk
02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
What's the consensus of running the L/R speakers lying on their side. I notice the tweeter on the center speaker is turned 90 degrees for that reason. Would you think there would be any problem with laying the Sierra's on their side. If so, should the tweeters be turned? I'm trying to change my setup a bit and setting them on the side would be a nice fix for a space problem I have. Thanks.

curtis
02-23-2008, 07:34 PM
What's the consensus of running the L/R speakers lying on their side. I notice the tweeter on the center speaker is turned 90 degrees for that reason. Would you think there would be any problem with laying the Sierra's on their side. If so, should the tweeters be turned? I'm trying to change my setup a bit and setting them on the side would be a nice fix for a space problem I have. Thanks.
I would call or email DaveF with that question, but my understanding is that the OPPIX crossover design helps a great deal when the speaker is used on its side(like the center channel with the tweeter turned).

Where are you putting the speakers that necessitates placing them on their side?

Pilk
02-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I would call or email DaveF with that question, but my understanding is that the OPPIX crossover design helps a great deal when the speaker is used on its side(like the center channel with the tweeter turned).

Where are you putting the speakers that necessitates placing them on their side?

It is (was) a design/placement issue. I tried laying them down. Not a good result. The stage went flat and vocals sort of died into the background. The detail seemed to get muffled. It was very obvious. Maybe if the tweeter were turned but its not worth that. I'm so pleased with the detail and musical ability of these speaker I'm not doing anything to take away from that. They are just fun to listen to. :D

drewface
02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
if they are going to be on their side, the tweeter should be turned. i seem to recall someone on this forum receiving a "center" sierra with the tweeter positioned like a main, and davef saying that if they felt comfortable, they could go ahead and turn the tweeter themselves. you should definitely contact ascend before doing this, but it doesn't seem like it would be hard at all to accomplish...

jr1414
02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Are there any crossover differences between the center and the standard configuration, or is it just the tweeter that is turned?

curtis
02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Are there any crossover differences between the center and the standard configuration, or is it just the tweeter that is turned?
No differences in the crossover.

davef
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
It is (was) a design/placement issue. I tried laying them down. Not a good result. The stage went flat and vocals sort of died into the background. The detail seemed to get muffled. It was very obvious. Maybe if the tweeter were turned but its not worth that. I'm so pleased with the detail and musical ability of these speaker I'm not doing anything to take away from that. They are just fun to listen to. :D

Gerenally speaking, the Sierra-1 can be used as horizontal left/rights with decent results. A lot will depend on how close the speakers are to the side walls (the further away the better) and your listening position. If you find the time, please post a picture and I would be happy to offer some recommendations.

Jugdish
02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8450/34247259ta0.th.jpg (http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=34247259ta0.jpg)

I have my Sierra's on their side without any modification to the tweeter and notice no difference sonically to a vertical position.