PDA

View Full Version : What subwoofer(s) are you matching with your Ascends?

Sam AV
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Now that my Ascends (340SEs in front and 170SEs in rear) are on the UPS truck headed my way :D I thought I should start working towards a sub. What are you matching with your Ascends?

My room is about 5200 CF and I've been leaning towards the SVS PB12-NSD or HSU VTF3-MKIII. Is anyone using one of these?

Gov
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Mirage Omni S12, love it!

mziegler
02-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I have the Hsu VTF3-MKII. It works great with the 340SE. Now that I have moved to the Sierra, however, I'm not so sure it keeps up, and I am thinking of upgrading the sub.

curtis
02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
VTF-3MK3 crossed at 60hz.....I am happy with it, but better sound quality is always welcome.

BradJudy
02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm using an ACI Titan XL (won it in a raffle - great sub) with Sierra's crossed at 60Hz.

Mag_Neato
02-20-2008, 05:28 AM
I have a Rythmik Audio DS-12 (Direct-Servo 12") sub in a 2Cu.ft. sealed enclosure crossed at 60Hz to my Sierras. It is a very tight and musical sub that goes deep. If you don't mind a bit of assembly it is highly recommended.

Pilk
02-20-2008, 06:30 AM
I have a Rythmik Audio DS-12 (Direct-Servo 12") sub in a 2Cu.ft. sealed enclosure crossed at 60Hz to my Sierras. It is a very tight and musical sub that goes deep. If you don't mind a bit of assembly it is highly recommended.

Did you build your own box? I am torn between two DS1500 kits or a MFW15 which I already have on order. The advantage to the DIY is that I can conceal them in a cabinet under the main L/R speakers. I also have considered the DS12 kits but for $40 more total you can get the 15's and I have room for 3.5 cuft boxes. I also considered the dual MFW15 which would reside prominently in the family room, but that ran into serious WAF, almost violent WAF! So, I've considered the DIY for the best possible SQ and looks.

tank418
02-20-2008, 06:53 AM
HSU STF-3 love it ! but cant wait for dave's sub !!!!!!

MichaelG
02-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I have the Hsu VTF3-MKII as well. Very happy until I'm able to ascend to a better one. :)

Mag_Neato
02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Did you build your own box? I am torn between two DS1500 kits or a MFW15 which I already have on order. The advantage to the DIY is that I can conceal them in a cabinet under the main L/R speakers. I also have considered the DS12 kits but for $40 more total you can get the 15's and I have room for 3.5 cuft boxes. I also considered the dual MFW15 which would reside prominently in the family room, but that ran into serious WAF, almost violent WAF! So, I've considered the DIY for the best possible SQ and looks.

I had RAW Acoustics in B.C. construct the box and ship it to me. I installed the driver, amp and polyfil. I did not have the time, equipment or patience to build one myself.

leon55
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Hsu Stf-2, Eda5-350.

Sam AV
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone using SVS or heard a PB12-NSD?

kinggimp82
02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
170's with hsu stf-2

curtis
02-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Anyone using SVS or heard a PB12-NSD?
Are you looking for output or sound quality?

You will see more Ascend speakers with Hsu subs because Ascend used to sell them.

Sam AV
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
If I had to choose sound quality v. output, I guess sound quality would have to win out.

That said, I am putting this into a fairly large space (6,700 CF) and I will need some output to fill the space.

I'm thinking a SVS PB12-NSD now and then maybe add another one in the future to help with output.

curtis
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Personally, I would do two VTF-3.3's.

Jonnyozero3
02-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I have dual Rocket UFW-10s in stereo in my 170SE living room setup, and until just recently, had a VTF-3HO down in the HT. I just sold said beloved HO and I'm shopping for an upgrade now. Just moved one UFW downstairs to do stand-in HT duty in the meantime :)

daman
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm running a MFW-15. Also running the HSU VTF3 MKII in my downstairs system.

Later, Daman

Pilk
02-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Later, Daman

Running the MFW-15 with the Sierra-1's? That will probably be where I end up. I have a SB on order and am contemplating upping the order to the duals but really doubt, from what I've read, that 2 MFW15's are necessary. What's your opinion?

Pilk
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Later, Daman

You must be the Daman from AV123 who commented on the diamond finish MFW15 to sway the wife in my single vs. dual thread. One is enough, isn't it. Why must I have two...I can't stop...no self control...no will power...stop...:eek:

Sam AV
02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Daman,

How does the VTF3.3 compare to the MWF-15 in your opinion? I don't know that I want to wait till May for a MWF-15...

curtis
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Daman,

How does the VTF3.3 compare to the MWF-15 in your opinion? I don't know that I want to wait till May for a MWF-15...
Daman has a 3.2, not a 3.3, but I would like to know how the 3.2 compares to the MFW-15 in sound quality.

Mike^S
02-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm running a JL Audio F112 with my Sierras. :)

BGHD
02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Hsu VTF3MKII with 340SEs.

chas
02-21-2008, 05:12 AM
PB12-ISD/2 (with NSD woofer upgrade)

Pilk
02-21-2008, 05:59 AM
What do you guys think of running 2 AV123 X-subs under the Sierra's? For $400 if is certainly a good deal. I realize they are not HT crazy material, but my goal is SQ and was wondering if anyone had got a listen to these little subs.

The SB12+ from SVS would also work, but duals for that is over $1300! Any good recommendations on sealed subs 15" wide or less/14" deep or less? The Sierra's would be just above the subs. No high volume stuff for the most part.

merrymaid520
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
An SVS PC Ultra with my sierras:D
A SVS PB10NSD in my theater with 170SE's all around.

Hoping to someday get the new PCU13.........its only money right.

Brandon

Kingrsl
02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I have dual VTF-3 Mark 3's with turbos and love them!

JackT
02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
VTF 2.3 with HTM-200s all around. The 2.3 appears to be 100 x more subwoofer than I need, because in order to level match it in my system, it almost has to be turned off!!!

BTW the HTM-200 x 5 system is just tremendous. For HT I feel I lack nothing with this setup.

ebh
02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I preferred a single UFW-10 to a single X-sub when I played with the two. The x-sub sounds good, but I still found the UFW10 to be somewhat tighter, for what it's worth.

What do you guys think of running 2 AV123 X-subs under the Sierra's? For $400 if is certainly a good deal. I realize they are not HT crazy material, but my goal is SQ and was wondering if anyone had got a listen to these little subs.

The SB12+ from SVS would also work, but duals for that is over $1300! Any good recommendations on sealed subs 15" wide or less/14" deep or less? The Sierra's would be just above the subs. No high volume stuff for the most part.

rogerm
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I am using an Epik Valor, their 15 inch sealed sub with Sierra's L/C/R and Usher S-520's as rears. I have the fronts crossed at 60 and the rears at 80. I've had the Valor about two months and have been very,very happy with it. Tight and articulate and goes deep.

cool_runner
02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I am searching for a sub, and I can't seem to decide between sealed or ported. Can someone give me an idea of the sound characteristics of each design.

Sealed
Epik Valor (http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/ValorSpecifications.html)
eD A7S - 450 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=640)
SVS SB12-Plus (http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm)

Ported
Epik Knight (http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/KnightOverview.html)
eD A5 - 350 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=618)
AV123 MFW-15 (http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=178&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37)
HSU VTF-2 MK 3 (http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html)

curtis
02-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Are you set on dual subs as opposed to single?

Pilk
02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Are you set on dual subs as opposed to single?

Not really. I've got the MFW15 on order but am considering small duals to keep things stealthy for my other half. It is our main living room. If it was an HT room I would probably go for two MFW15's and earplugs. Suggestions? I've listened to some subs in a couple Hifi shops locally and quite frankly, the sound quality is not at all what I want. I came home tonight and listened to my Sierras and I love the sound as it, however, there has got to be a quality sub(s) that can reinforce the low end without bringing the 'subwoofer' sound. I have read on several sights that duals can help smooth out the response on the subs. Small duals would allow close location to the LR mains (if that even matters).
I've always been much happier in my car audio with tight, controlled bass with plenty of headroom. I think some of the 'efficient' ported boxes people are crazy about are sloppy sounding and are easily identified as 'subs'. I'm am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks.

dallas
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Now that my Ascends (340SEs in front and 170SEs in rear) are on the UPS truck headed my way :D I thought I should start working towards a sub. What are you matching with your Ascends?

My room is about 5200 CF and I've been leaning towards the SVS PB12-NSD or HSU VTF3-MKIII. Is anyone using one of these?

I'm probably the only person here running an ascend subwoofer. Technically it's a piece of cardboard with "Ascend sub goes here" written on it. But it is wired, has a reasonable footprint, and comes with an excellent price. I can promise the cardboard adds NOTHING to the sound that isn't present in the recording. Crisp, brown, lightweight, and super easy to repair and find parts for.

drewface
02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm probably the only person here running an ascend subwoofer. Technically it's a piece of cardboard with "Ascend sub goes here" written on it. But it is wired, has a reasonable footprint, and comes with an excellent price. I can promise the cardboard adds NOTHING to the sound that isn't present in the recording. Crisp, brown, lightweight, and super easy to repair and find parts for.pic?

Jonnyozero3
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm probably the only person here running an ascend subwoofer. Technically it's a piece of cardboard with "Ascend sub goes here" written on it. But it is wired, has a reasonable footprint, and comes with an excellent price. I can promise the cardboard adds NOTHING to the sound that isn't present in the recording. Crisp, brown, lightweight, and super easy to repair and find parts for.

Awesome.

Pilk
02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I am searching for a sub, and I can't seem to decide between sealed or ported. Can someone give me an idea of the sound characteristics of each design.

Sealed
Epik Valor (http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/ValorSpecifications.html)
eD A7S - 450 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=640)
SVS SB12-Plus (http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm)

Ported
Epik Knight (http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/KnightOverview.html)
eD A5 - 350 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=618)
AV123 MFW-15 (http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=178&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37)
HSU VTF-2 MK 3 (http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html)

I've researched all these. Before I began the quest for the small sealed subs I'm on now, I had decided I wanted the Epik Valor for price and sealed. I settled on a Outlaw Compact-1 to save money...sent it back as it turned out to be a dud. I wonder if it had functioned properly if I would have kept it and saved my sanity. :eek:

Then the firestorm started with the MFW15 and I put an order in to get a place on the que. Its really not that much bigger than most of the subs from HSU, SVS, Outlaw and apparently it is a definite step up at a similar price point. I still may stick with my order but the thought of dual sealed subs has me searching. The SB12+ seems to be highly spoken of by guys who own or have owned it. Not the HT monster that the MFW15 is but it's compact, tight, musical...not cheap, but appealing imo.

If SVS had a real dual price break like AC123 does, I probably would pull the trigger tomorrow and be done with it. Shopping is half the fun but his is ridiculous!:rolleyes:

curtis
02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Not really. I've got the MFW15 on order but am considering small duals to keep things stealthy for my other half. It is our main living room. If it was an HT room I would probably go for two MFW15's and earplugs. Suggestions? I've listened to some subs in a couple Hifi shops locally and quite frankly, the sound quality is not at all what I want. I came home tonight and listened to my Sierras and I love the sound as it, however, there has got to be a quality sub(s) that can reinforce the low end without bringing the 'subwoofer' sound. I have read on several sights that duals can help smooth out the response on the subs. Small duals would allow close location to the LR mains (if that even matters).
I've always been much happier in my car audio with tight, controlled bass with plenty of headroom. I think some of the 'efficient' ported boxes people are crazy about are sloppy sounding and are easily identified as 'subs'. I'm am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks.
The best location for the subwoofer is rarely the same place the speakers are located.

I think the quality of the bass of the Sierras is outstanding, so it will take an equally good sounding subwoofer to blend perfectly.

I just got home from the UCLA baskeball game and listening to my Sierras right now! :)

Pilk
02-22-2008, 06:34 AM
The best location for the subwoofer is rarely the same place the speakers are located.

I think the quality of the bass of the Sierras is outstanding, so it will take an equally good sounding subwoofer to blend perfectly.

I just got home from the UCLA baskeball game and listening to my Sierras right now! :)

Bummed on two accounts...you got to see UCLA BB, and my wife made me turn down the Sierra's...something about the kids having to go to school in the morning. :rolleyes:

o0Lo0P0o
02-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking of going with either the Epik Castle or the the dual MFW-15 package. A Few of things have been bothering me about the MFW-15's though.

1) There are a few reports of the spikes not having enough threading into the sub and may break off if the sub is tipped.
1a)I know this is super picky, but look at the pics of the rear of the sub. The dial area template must have been crooked it is slightly tilted to the right.

2) I also heard something about jackhammer noises coming out of the sub but I believe the user had the amp replaced and it works fine now.

S_rangeBrew
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm using a Sony SAW-M40, (12" ported, 120watts) which was THE budget sub 8 years ago. It's a bit boomy, but shakes my 13x15x8 sealed room very well for home theater use.

My plan is to install an Infinite Baffle sub with four 15" drivers, and feed it about 1000 watts. IBs are supposed to provide very clean, uncolored sound, so they should match the Ascend 340SEs very well.

It will be a "bit" of an upgrade, no doubt. ;)

Sam AV
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I also have the Sony SA-WM40 and now that I have the Ascends, I feel like I need an upgrade. The Sony actually doesn't do too bad with HT, but it worked much better in the old house as the room was about 1/4-1/3 the size of the current one.

I went ahead and bit the bullet on a SVS PB12-NSD (it should be here Friday). If it's not enough, I will add a second one :eek: closer to summer.

I'll let everyone know how it compares to the Sony...

By the way, the Ascends make me smile everytime I listen to them. Everything I read about them is true, and they aren't even broken in yet. :D

azanon
02-28-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm using a VTF-2 classic I purchased through Ascend. I feel the same as someone earlier in the thread in that the VTF-2 is way more sub that I probably need given that I have it at about 20% output at the most with one port plugged (for maximum extension).

The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-on/auto-off circuitry which makes a clicking sound every time it clicks on. Also, it takes a modest level of volume and/or bass for it to click on meaning at times I have no low bass sound at low volumes! I understand they removed this "feature" from later HSU models, not to my surprise.

curtis
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-on/auto-off circuitry which makes a clicking sound every time it clicks on. Also, it takes a modest level of volume and/or bass for it to click on meaning at times I have no low bass sound at low volumes! I understand they removed this "feature" from later HSU models, not to my surprise.
They still have it.

What you can do is try to turn the subwoofer output on your receiver up, and the volume adjustment on the subwoofer down. This way the subwoofer is "seeing" a higher signal and may activate sooner/easier.

dallas
02-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Anyone know what sub dave is using in his home? I trust his ear more than my own after hearing his products.

azanon
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
They still have it.

What you can do is try to turn the subwoofer output on your receiver up, and the volume adjustment on the subwoofer down. This way the subwoofer is "seeing" a higher signal and may activate sooner/easier.

Oh.

Ok, I'll try that. I guess these subs "vampire" too much electricity to keep on 24/7?

curtis
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Oh.

Ok, I'll try that. I guess these subs "vampire" too much electricity to keep on 24/7?
I have read some people keeping their's on 24/7. I think it is more of an issue with the older amps because they were class A/B where as the newer ones are more class D.

BradJudy
02-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Mine is on 24/7, but that's because the ACI subs do not have auto-on features. I haven't had a chance to measure the idle power draw, but I've been meaning to pick up one of the Kill-a-watt units to start measuring various items.

Mag_Neato
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
my old psb sub did not have an auto-on feature, so it remained on 24/7. if i went on vacation i would switch it off. they draw very little current when at idle. my UFW-10 from Rocket had auto-on, but i think it needed to be more sensitive, similar to what you described. My Rythmik sub turns on with no problem, very quickly.

Stix577
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I just recently set up my system 340 mains w/ center and 200 bookshelves. I'm driving them w/ a pioneer 94. I'm now in the market for a sub and was looking at the hsu mk-III but have been wanting to hold out for a new ascend sub. I don't want to wait too long....does anyone have any kind of information about how long it's anticipated before the first line is released?

drewface
02-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I just recently set up my system 340 mains w/ center and 200 bookshelves. I'm driving them w/ a pioneer 94. I'm now in the market for a sub and was looking at the hsu mk-III but have been wanting to hold out for a new ascend sub. I don't want to wait too long....does anyone have any kind of information about how long it's anticipated before the first line is released?nope. we don't even know if there is an official ascend sub coming, or if they will be partnering with another company to offer a line of subs like they used to do with Hsu.

curtis
02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Rest assured though, DaveF will not offer a sub if it doesn't match the sound quality of his speakers.

Sam AV
02-29-2008, 07:02 PM
My SVS PB12-NSD arrived today and I all I can say is WOW, what a difference. Not only would it hold about 3 of the Sony SA-WM40 subs (the SVS replaces one), but the sound, impact and clarity are light years different than the Sony. The muddiness that I had grown accustom to is gone now. The sub also digs way deeper.

The SVS blends terrifically with the Ascends, not only in sound, but also in appearance.

I'm a very happy camper right now :p:D:p

Stix577
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM
nope. we don't even know if there is an official ascend sub coming, or if they will be partnering with another company to offer a line of subs like they used to do with Hsu.

why did the company go away from HSU? I was looking at both the hsu and the pb lines but don't know enough about either line to pull the trigger on one yet.

curtis
03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
why did the company go away from HSU? I was looking at both the hsu and the pb lines but don't know enough about either line to pull the trigger on one yet.
Hsu pulled the plug on their limited dealer network in the beginning of 2007. When they did that, it included Ascend.

davef
03-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Anyone know what sub dave is using in his home? I trust his ear more than my own after hearing his products.

I tend to swap subwoofers quite often. Right now, no sub at all with my Sierra-1. I was using a prototype model for a while for various testing etc.

merrymaid520
03-02-2008, 07:13 AM

On a similar note, not to be much off topic....

Dave F. What amp/processor do you use with your sierras? Just curious......currently amp shopping:D

Brandon

buddhadas
03-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Prototype????:D

chas
03-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Prototype????:D

Do I smell bamboo?

Could be MDF...

Jonnyozero3
03-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I tend to swap subwoofers quite often. Right now, no sub at all with my Sierra-1. I was using a prototype model for a while for various testing etc.

WHOA! Who's cat was that??

And why is this bag in here....

robruffo
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I use a Wharfedale Diamond SW 150 - although I have not yet received my Ascends, and am for the moment using lesser, but not so bad speakers.

British subs tend to have things in common:

Negative:

1 - They are not loud. My sub starts to distort well before ear-hurting volumes.

2 - They do not go down very low - mine goes down to 30hrz before a drop (in room this probaboly translates to about 25hrz)

Now you may think these are big negatives, but to me they are not. Little in recorded media goes below 29hrz or so - it almost never happens. In my loft, I could not play my sub at volumes anywhere near the point at which it distorts without seriously alienating the neighbors.

The positives are amazing:

1 - Is very, very tight and musical - no unpleasant boom at all. No port noise. Integrates very, very smoothly. Very good for classical music and Jazz. IMO, a sub should only be truly noticed when you suddenly turn it off, and the Wharfedale, after about an hour of fussing, meets this criteria.

2 - Was very innexpensive used in mint condition.

3 - Looks nice, and is not too big. (I know, it's not important, but still a plus.)

I have not heard SVS subs, but I have heard all the big box brands. Big box subs, at any price, are boomy noise-makers compared to my Warfedale.

azanon
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
They still have it.

I took a peek at my dad's recently purchased HSU STF-1 this weekend and confirmed what I was thinking when I originally mentioned it:

The latest HSU's can be set to off, auto, or on. "On" would mean it stays on 24/7. If i had his, it'd be set to "on" for sure.

SpringQin
03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I wonder when Ascend can push their own subwoofers...a same brand system is the best,I think

davef
03-04-2008, 01:45 AM
On a similar note, not to be much off topic....
Dave F. What amp/processor do you use with your sierras? Just curious......currently amp shopping:D

At home, I generally use a Rotel RSP-1066 that I have been pleased with over the years. On occasion, for pure analog A/B testing, I have a marantz pre-amp that allows me to do precise level matching for different sets of speakers.

I have a few amps -- right now I am testing a prototype model, similar to B&O ICE. I also use a Bryston 2 channel and a much loved ADA PTM-6150 for multi-channel. What I love about the ADA is that it runs about 50 watts of pure class-A. Sound quality is exceptional and it is the only amplifier that I have yet to blow up ;) either by shorting outputs or doing some other careless act...

Quinn
03-04-2008, 04:03 AM
I have a few amps -- right now I am testing a prototype model, similar to B&O ICE.

Can we start an Ascend digital amp rumor?

merrymaid520
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
At home, I generally use a Rotel RSP-1066 that I have been pleased with over the years. On occasion, for pure analog A/B testing, I have a marantz pre-amp that allows me to do precise level matching for different sets of speakers.

I have a few amps -- right now I am testing a prototype model, similar to B&O ICE. I also use a Bryston 2 channel and a much loved ADA PTM-6150 for multi-channel. What I love about the ADA is that it runs about 50 watts of pure class-A. Sound quality is exceptional and it is the only amplifier that I have yet to blow up ;) either by shorting outputs or doing some other careless act...

Thanks Dave! Sounds like you enjoy a variety of gear. I just bought a used proceed amp3. Should be interesting. Supposedly these benefited from the trickle down affect from the mother company that made Mark Levinson amps. The sierras are excited for it to arrive:D

davef
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Can we start an Ascend digital amp rumor?

Nope --what I am playing with is not ICE, similar in design, possibly even higher peformance (based on the people I have talked with and the white papers) and this is fully customizable... My initial experience with this technology is quite good. I am going to compare directly to ICE in the next few days...

At this point, this is all I can really discuss. You know me :cool:

merrymaid520
03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Dave,

Have you any thoughts on the icepowered amps from D-sonic or wyred 4 sound? I just read up on those and they look very promissing.
I know curtis has one(different brand though) for his front sierras. I am curious as to the benfits of these over more common a/b class amps.

Sorry to hijack again,

Brandon

FibreKid
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Ascend 340 legacy across the front and htm200 for rears.
HSU VTF3-MKII

Works nice for me :)

davef
03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Dave,

Have you any thoughts on the icepowered amps from D-sonic or wyred 4 sound? I just read up on those and they look very promissing.
I know curtis has one(different brand though) for his front sierras. I am curious as to the benfits of these over more common a/b class amps.

I don't have any experience with those particular brands (D-sonic or wyred 4 sound) but I have spent extensive time with ICE. I strongly doubt there would be any sonic differences between any of the ICE based amplifiers - it is a closed system, modifications to the circuitry are not possible. I like the way it sounds, the dynamics are remarkable and there is an open / transparent sound to them.

I am presently comparing an ASP 500 module to something quite special. I was able to detect a slight difference in female vocals between the two, which of the two is truer to the source I haven't quite determined.

curtis
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Dave, I should drop my 1000ASP based amp some time for you to check out.

Jonnyozero3
03-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Showoff! :p

merrymaid520
03-08-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't have any experience with those particular brands (D-sonic or wyred 4 sound) but I have spent extensive time with ICE. I strongly doubt there would be any sonic differences between any of the ICE based amplifiers - it is a closed system, modifications to the circuitry are not possible. I like the way it sounds, the dynamics are remarkable and there is an open / transparent sound to them.

I am presently comparing an ASP 500 module to something quite special. I was able to detect a slight difference in female vocals between the two, which of the two is truer to the source I haven't quite determined.

Interesting. I appreciate your feedback, always informative. I picked up 3 more sierras on the used market, now totaling 6:eek:. These will be for fronts in the theater room. Someday I would love to check out the ICE amps for this room rather than the yamaha. I think if the ratings hold true thus far, we will see this technology take off in the upcoming years.

Enjoy your weekend everyone,
Brandon

davef
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Not if you expect to ever get it back :p

Strongly doubt there would be any sonic difference between the 1000ASP and the 500ASP modules (other than 3dB more headroom). I could never listen at those volume levels whereby the differences would be discernable.

That being said, drop it off anytime ;)

jronne
03-15-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a pair of CBM 170s.
I'm going to match them with a pair of av123 MFW-15s.
If the SPL numbers are good enough with 1 MFW-15, I will move the other upstairs to pair with my older KEF bookshelf speakers.
The MFW-15 is quite a step above the offerings from SVS and HSU for comparable price points.

- jronne

jronne
03-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a pair of CBM 170s.
I'm going to match them with a pair of av123 MFW-15.
If I have enough SPL I will move one upstairs with my older KEFs bookshelf speakers.
The MFW-15 seems quite a step above the offering from SVS and HSU for comparable price points.

- jronne

mattopia
03-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I fully expected this thread to be full of people running subless!

That being said, I run Sierra-1's for L/C/R and I find the bass response more than adequate. I have a Polk sub that I was going to use, but never bothered since I've been pleasantly surprised with the low end right out of the Serras.

Personally I'd hold off until you receive your Ascends. You'll have a better idea of what your needs are after that. (Of course, since the OP was over a month ago, you no doubt received them already - so I'm curious what you ended up with!)

Sam1000
03-17-2008, 10:21 AM
So Dave, will you be offering any ICE based modules that you are testing in near future?

drewface
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I fully expected this thread to be full of people running subless!i'm currently running subless :( except for crazy action movies and a select few songs i like to listen to every now and then, i don't feel like i'm missing a whole lot. doesn't hurt that i've never had a sub in my system... harder to miss something you've never had...

i had a hsu in my plans at one point, but then the infamous "stay tuned" message went up here, and i decided to wait to see what ascend does in the future before i go and buy a sub from somewhere else.

azanon
03-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I fully expected this thread to be full of people running subless!

That being said, I run Sierra-1's for L/C/R and I find the bass response more than adequate.

My reasoning would be the opposite on this; I wouldn't think someone buying Ascends wouldn't be looking for sound best described as (just) "adequate". Someone wanting just adequate goes to Best Buy to buy KLH's on sale.

Also, not everyone has Sierra's. As much as I practically adore my 340SE's, there is no question (to me, anyway) that they need some help on the bass; including on music. But 340SE + an HSU sub? Music bliss!

mattopia
03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
My reasoning would be the opposite on this; I wouldn't think someone buying Ascends wouldn't be looking for sound best described as (just) "adequate". Someone wanting just adequate goes to Best Buy to buy KLH's on sale.

You must have not interpreted my post correctly. I did say "more than adequate", not "just adequate".

I am extremely impressed with the bass response of my Sierra-1's. Moreso than the full sized Boston's that I was previously using. Do the Sierra-1's knock paintings down in other rooms? No. Do the Sierra-1's represent an extremely natural and pleasing sound to me without a sub? Definitely.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable for someone to run Sierra-1's without a sub. I think it is very unreasonable to assume that someone who is should be using a budget brand.

lakaw
03-28-2008, 05:08 AM
JL Audio f112 with my Sierra's. Phenonimal sealed compact sub withh a beautiful piano black finish to match my Sierra's.