PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1; Recorded vs Live

Timbre
02-14-2008, 05:24 AM
I recently read a review comparing two speakers (not AA), and the bottom line for the reviewer was, one speaker sounded like the music was recorded, and the other speaker sounded like a live presentation.

If the same statement were to be said about the 340SE vs Sierra-1, by how strongly would you agree, from 1 to 10, 10 being the strongest.

In otherwords even though the Sierra offers better sound, does it really sound
a lot more like it is live over the 340SE (a 10) or just so-so (a 5)?

I now have the 340SE, and I am sure you all can guess where I am going with this.;)

Thanks in advance, for all contributions from anyone who has listened to both speakers.:D

Asliang
02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Lol if a studio recording sounds live there's something wrong with the sound processing. I'm guessing studio recordings are edited specifically not to sound live, to remove all of those little background noises.

Sometimes they have special versions of songs where it actually sounds like an unedited studio session.

I think a song can be made more true to the source, but recording -> live is like upmixing to re-capture lost information, lol. (IMO)

Mike^S
02-14-2008, 09:02 PM
If you mean that it makes it sound more like the musicians are there right in front of you, then I would say yes. The Sierras do give you more of that sound. I can't really give a number to it since I haven't really spent a whole let of time comparing the two side by side. If you're thinking about upgrading, I would say it would depend on exactly what you're looking for and what you listening habits are. The 340s are very good speakers so I wouldn't want to make it sound like there's a world of difference.

Timbre
02-14-2008, 09:05 PM
So then maybe you would rate the difference a 10, meaning
the Sierra makes a big difference?

Mike^S
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
No, I can't really give a number to it since I haven't really spent a whole let of time comparing the two side by side.

What city are you in? Maybe someone in your area has some Sierras that you could audition.

Timbre
02-14-2008, 10:12 PM
No, I can't really give a number to it since I haven't really spent a whole let of time comparing the two side by side.

What city are you in? Maybe someone in your area has some Sierras that you could audition.

I am in General Santos City, The Philippines.

Mike^S
02-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Hmm, probably not too many people with Sierras in the Phillippines.

IMO, the Sierras are a worthwhile upgrade over the 340se. They definitely reveal another layer of music that the 340se won't.

sgoryl
03-30-2008, 10:27 AM
hi there,

I am currently doing a research project comparing the differences between live and recorded performance, the difference in experiences, energy, and intimacy betweeen the audience and the performer. If anyone has any interesting thoughts or ideas based around this type of thing, then please, do not hesitate to share these with me!!

Thanks,

Sam.

robruffo
04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Live sound is many things - for example a basement rock club with a boomy amp will give you one type, and a symphony concert will give you another.

I can comment that for classical, Sierras really do sound very close to live. 340se speakers are excellent, but Sierras bring you a significant step closer.

I'm glad I switched to Sierras because now I know that I could never find better at pretty much any price - to me that's worth the upgrade right there.