PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to canada

merrymaid520
02-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Hello,

quick question for anyone who can offer some insight.

I have a potential buyer of one of my used speakers(posted on audiogon & AVS) that lives in canada. What do I need to know? He wants me to ship it via fedex. If I price out the package on fedex.com(with size & weight from my zip to his zip code), would there be any other fees I might incure?

I live in WI and have never shipped anything outside the US.

Thanks,
Brandon

drewface
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
you could probably get a much more reliable response from fedex... :p

merrymaid520
02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I know, but those automated phone systems make it nearly impossible to reach a live person. I have another offer pending also that live in the states anyway. I would prefer shipping only to the CONUS.

Thanks,
Brandon

buddhadas
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Brandon,

A little trick, when calling Fedex just hit "O" a few times, and that will get you right to an operator.
I deal with Fedex everyday for work, and this always works.

Jim

merrymaid520
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jim,

I will give that a shot.

Brandon

LesE
02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
For goods such as speakers that are manufactured in the USA, there are usually no duties or tarriffs charged. However, the courier services (UPS, FedEx) will charge your buyer customs clearance fees which can be significant depending on the value of the shipment. USPS/Canada Post tends to be much more reasonably priced in this regard. In addition, the buyer will pay 5% GST as well as provincial tax upon delivery of the shipment.

Les.

merrymaid520
02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Les,

Thanks for clarifying. I just didnt want to get burned with additional taxes & fees along with shipping costs. The value is only $200. I will decide what I am going to do very soon.

Thanks,

Brandon