PDA

View Full Version : My First Post

Mr.Lawrence
02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade, and I need a bookshelf speaker. My current speakers are Klipsch SLX and they are lacking when it comes to music. I currently do 100% theater, but would like to begin using my system more for music.

My space is 13'x14' and has a vaulted ceiling (11').

Thus far, I have auditioned Totem, B&W CM-1 & CM-7, Vienna Hayden and some others that didn't leave much of an impression. :)

Today, though, I listened to Dynaudio Audience 52se speakers and really liked them. The cost was $1500. However, I didn't like the looks at all. I know that looks probably shouldn't matter, but for that kind of loot, I want to like the way they look.

Anyway, have any of you Sierra-1 owners ever compared the sound of the 52se? If so, I would like to hear your opinion. I realize that this is an Ascend web site, so I expect some bias. :D

Also, which speakers would you compare to the Sierra-1?

If it matters, I'm using a Denon 3806 AVR and Mirage S12 sub.

Thanks

Mike^S
02-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Welcome!

I haven't heard the Dynaudio Audience 52s. I'm not crazy about the looks either.

I love the way my piano black Sierras look. The bamboo looks great too.

Here's a review that does some comparison to the Dynaudio Focus 110.

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20070901.htm

curtis
02-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the forum Mr. Lawrence.

An old co-worker of mine has the 52's(not SE), and a few years ago we compared my old "classic" CMT-340 with it. The biggest difference was that 52 had a bit more bass extension. If you like the SE, and want to see if you can keep more dollars in your pocket, get the 340SE and see if your local shop will let you compare it with the 52SE. I thought the 52SE could be had in the $1K range.

Speakers from the Dynaudio Focus line have been mentioned in a couple of Sierra reviews as Mike has pointed out. I have heard the Focus 140 and the Contour S1.4 along side the Sierras, and if you like either one of them, you should give the Sierra a listen especially because of the price differences.

Mr.Lawrence
02-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Welcome!

I haven't heard the Dynaudio Audience 52s. I'm not crazy about the looks either.

I love the way my piano black Sierras look. The bamboo looks great too.

Here's a review that does some comparison to the Dynaudio Focus 110.

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20070901.htm

Thanks for the link Mike^S. I like the piano black are sweet. Is the piano black a bamboo enclosure?

Mr.Lawrence
02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Curtis,

The CMT-340SE is a speaker that I really want to like and own. I like the idea of the dual mid bass drivers and the "mini" tower look. I don't think that I have read a negative word about that speaker. However, I really want a speaker that not only sounds awesome, but looks awesome. I wish that it was available in a rosewood veneer. I can't seem to get away from aesthetics.

The Sierra-1 is high on my list based on the price, appearance and great reviews. However, I'm really trying to over come my excitement and take my time listening to as many speakers as I can. Honestly, the hunt for a new speaker set is quite enjoyable.

Thanks. If anyone else has experience with the Audience 52se and Sierra-1, I'd be interested in reading your opinion.

Larry

Welcome to the forum Mr. Lawrence.

An old co-worker of mine has the 52's(not SE), and a few years ago we compared my old "classic" CMT-340 with it. The biggest difference was that 52 had a bit more bass extension. If you like the SE, and want to see if you can keep more dollars in your pocket, get the 340SE and see if your local shop will let you compare it with the 52SE. I thought the 52SE could be had in the $1K range.

Speakers from the Dynaudio Focus line have been mentioned in a couple of Sierra reviews as Mike has pointed out. I have heard the Focus 140 and the Contour S1.4 along side the Sierras, and if you like either one of them, you should give the Sierra a listen especially because of the price differences.

curtis
02-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Is the piano black a bamboo enclosure?
Yes it is.

curtis
02-03-2008, 10:58 AM
However, I'm really trying to over come my excitement and take my time listening to as many speakers as I can. Honestly, the hunt for a new speaker set is quite enjoyable.

Definitely take your time. I agree, whenever I am in the market for something, the "hunt" is an enjoyable aspect for me.