PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounting 170's.... big question

REFLEX
01-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Basically the studs on the walls here don't line up very well when making a set up for 5.1 or 7.1, it wouldn't work out at all, and 2 of them have a lot of power running behind them somewhere so I don't really want to drill.

Now.... I have the Omni mounts and I put them up... except they are driven into drywall, thick, but still dry wall. They feel really secure and I can apply a great deal of force to them and they still feel sturdy as heck.

Is this stupid to do? Honestly. Is it? They are about 5.5ft off the ground, so a fall would probably hurt them I assume. I didn't use any of the dry wall anchors or support screws you can get at the hardware store.

If they feel really secure, are they going to stay that way... or should I get a solution ASAP (as in tomorrow)?

drewface
01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
obviously mounting on a stud is ideal, however, when i was in school, i had my 170s sitting on a shelf that was screwed into plain drywall and it stayed up fine. the forces acting on the shelf and what would be acting on the speaker mount are different, however, and i imagine the mount would have the force pulling out away from the wall, where my shelf it was almost entirely pulling down on the screws.

my senior year, i used some drywall anchors to hold the shelves, and i can honestly say that i felt much more confident that they would hold up fine. so much so that i ended up using the same shelves for books and dvds in addition to the speakers, and they showed no signs of budging.

i would highly recommend getting some drywall anchors. they don't cost all that much and are really easy to install. (just screw them in like a giant screw) i used the hard plastic kinds, but you can also get metal. different models are rated for different weights, so get what you'd feel comfortable with. regardless of if they'll actually make a difference in your situation, you'll have the benefit of knowing that you took the extra precaution to secure your speakers.

REFLEX
01-31-2008, 03:17 PM
obviously mounting on a stud is ideal, however, when i was in school, i had my 170s sitting on a shelf that was screwed into plain drywall and it stayed up fine. the forces acting on the shelf and what would be acting on the speaker mount are different, however, and i imagine the mount would have the force pulling out away from the wall, where my shelf it was almost entirely pulling down on the screws.

my senior year, i used some drywall anchors to hold the shelves, and i can honestly say that i felt much more confident that they would hold up fine. so much so that i ended up using the same shelves for books and dvds in addition to the speakers, and they showed no signs of budging.

i would highly recommend getting some drywall anchors. they don't cost all that much and are really easy to install. (just screw them in like a giant screw) i used the hard plastic kinds, but you can also get metal. different models are rated for different weights, so get what you'd feel comfortable with. regardless of if they'll actually make a difference in your situation, you'll have the benefit of knowing that you took the extra precaution to secure your speakers.

Thanks, I went out today and got some Toggles...... they are rated for higher loads... just to be safe! ;)

One of these things can hold up to about 50 pounds... so I'm going to be fine I think, just waiting for my friend with the drill to come over and put some holes in my wall. hahaha...

Thanks for the post.

S_rangeBrew
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
You'll be fine. My 340SEs (!) are mounted with those drywall toggle anchors. Nice and solid. :cool:

Gov
02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
One of my 340's is too!! No worries!