PDA

View Full Version : Ascend or AV123 X-Series?

Sam AV
01-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm looking for some new speakers for a downstairs multi-use room, which will be used as a HT among other things. The speakers will be about 80% HT/Sports/TV and 20% music. It is prewired for a 7.1 system, but I'll probably just go 5.1 for now and would actually rather use ceiling speakers for the last two if I ever add them due to the layout of the room.

The two systems that "seem" to be the best bang for the buck are the AV123 and Ascend systems as follows:

AV123
2 - X-MTM Encore for front LR
1 - X-CS Encore for C
2 - X-LS Encore for rear LR

Ascend
2 - CMT-340SE for front LR
1 - CMT-340SE for C
2 - CBM-170SE for rear LR

I have a sub that I will use for now, and will upgrade to a SVS, HSU, AV-123 or similar probably later in the year.

Thoughts? Any other systems I should be looking at in this price range?

The room is roughly 22' x 28' (9-1/2' ceilings), but the viewing area is a smaller part of the overall room.

Here is a floorplan very similar to what we have (as far as the Media Room), with the TV sitting on top of the fireplace in the room: FLOORPLAN (http://www.dongardner.com/images.aspx?pid=3237&fn=floorplans%5c1130base_f.gif&f=)

Sam1000
01-28-2008, 08:16 AM
As an ex 340SE owner, I will have no problems recommending them. I have not heard the X series speakers. Best thing to do would be to order a pair from both companies and take a good listen. Also, there are some professional reviews online for both brands.

Sam AV
02-17-2008, 06:37 AM
I bit the bullet and went the Ascend route with 340SEs for the front (LCR) and 170SEs for rear surround. :D

I have to admit the X-series cabinets are mighty nice looking, but I finally came to the conclusion that I am buying speakers to listen too, not look at, which fits the Ascend mold perfectly. I also like the fact that they are assembled and tested here in the good old USA, and not overseas and then shipped over on a boat.

Jacob C
02-17-2008, 10:45 AM
If sound quality is more important than looks go for ascend. The X-Series is nice but the ascends are better.