PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

STRONGBADF1
01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi There,

Just introducing myself. Well I finally joined here (and ordered 340's for the LCR's and 170's for the surrounds) after lurking for quite some time. Some of you might know me from some of the other forums.

I've have always liked Paradigm Studio 20's and have been told on many occasions that I would love the Ascends so...here we go!:cool:

SBF1

STRONGBADF1
01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
...subwoofers will be next on the list after getting the new Ascend speakers and making sure I am happy...:cool:

Jonnyozero3
01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
I think I've seen your screen name around a bit. welcome :)

curtis
01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Welcome! Make sure to let us know how everything goes.

Eddie Horton
01-15-2008, 04:19 AM
I've had the same setup with the 340 and 170 Classics for going on 4 years. It's a great package, for sure. Let us know how it goes.

STRONGBADF1
01-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks, I let you know how everything goes.

MichaelG
01-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I have had the same set up for 1.5 years. Love listening to them everyday!

Congrats on your purchase!

Michael

STRONGBADF1
01-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks, I let you know how everything goes.

Took delivery yesterday and assembled last night. Still need to calibrate but I listened to some Morphine, Nora Jones & Pink floyd on CD's and about three songs from Eric Clapton's "One More Car One More Rider" DVD concert.

Need to calibrate...Some things sound better some just sound different.

CD's were listen to in "pure direct mode" (no sub, two channel, full range, no processing what so ever) on my Yamaha RX-V2500 and the DVD concert was in straight mode using the DTS track 5.1 crossed over at 80htz with my AV123 X-Sub.

Morphine's "Yes" sounded very good and I had the "I've never heard that before" moments. You could hear all the sounds of the snare drum especially the strainer. Very cool and realistic. (being a drummer I was kinda geeked up because I rarely hear this in (rock) recordings.

Nora Jones' "Come Away With Me" sounded good but I got a very emphasized "Ta" sound from her and the snare drum that I don't recall before. Is this the recording? It's kinda annoying.

Pink Floyd's "The final Cut" was interesting...the "sound effects" sounded more real but quieter.:confused:

Eric Clapton's "One More Car One More Rider" DVD concert...by this time I was very tired and could also tell that the calibration was getting in the way so I stopped there and went to bed.

Any saxophones, guitars and vocals had very good clarity. Guitars seemed to be more up front then before. (good thing for now) Drums seemed a little recessed on some recordings but not on others. (Not good but not ready to make any judgments)

There was no real difference from my old Ohm Model C's to the 340's in the imaging so it's got to be positioning/setup. The sound stage does seem wider with the 340's.

My room is 13.5' wide x 20.5' long x 8' high with two "doorway" style openings and has over stuffed furniture and an area rug over the hard wood floor. (average living room)

So, so far I need to calibrate and figure out what is wrong with the recordings and what is wrong with the speaker and or room.:)

SBF1

STRONGBADF1
01-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Oh, My wife said she could tell the difference when Morphine was playing the only thing she listen to and said it was definitely better.:cool: