PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have to vent. . .

Ben_Wood
02-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Ok Cliff,
Now just add two more 170s, a 340 center, and a VTF-2 and you're all set![:D]

curtis
02-14-2004, 12:47 PM
I think Ben likes spending others' money. [:)]

Congrats Cliff! Can you describe the differences?

-curtis

Ben_Wood
02-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Thats right! If you'll earn it, I'll be glad to help you spend it (wisely IMHO)! [:D]

bombadil67
02-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks Ben, but I'm finding it easy enough to spend my money these days!

Curtis, I've just been able to get in some extended listening today. I would definitely characterise the CBM's as much more neutral than my Monitors; a much more pleasing top end . . . the MA's were just to "hot" for my tastes. I was also quite stunned the first time I spun the Eagels "Seven Bridges Road" live, and clearly heard the ambient stage sounds. In other words, the music sounded more "live." Very nice.

The other thing I began to notice was the depth of the soundstage. My MA's through up a one about the same size, but not nearly as deep. At times I could vividly picture the drummer behind the singer with other instruments on each side. Again, very nice.

Also, with a more neutral presentation, I thought I might lose a little detail, but WRONG! The CBM's simply produce a more detailed sound. . . the initial attack on a piano, the slightly hollow sound of an acoustic guitar, stuff I never noticed on the MA's before. The whole sonic picture is simply more alive, real, holographic, "insert more adjectives here."

What can I say, for $328 I really am in disbelief right now. Incredible.

Cliff

bombadil67
02-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh yes, center and surrounds are in the works. To keep costs down, I was thinking of another 170 for center and 200's for surrounds. May consider the 340 center, not sure yet.

I would have whent with the Hsu sub, but I already have an ACI Titan, quite nice, musical, and a good match for the CBM's.

Cliff

Gregisme
02-15-2004, 12:06 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bombadil67

a much more pleasing top end . . . quite stunned ....music sounded more "live." ... Very nice. ... depth of the soundstage...very nice...The CBM's simply produce a more detailed sound. . . The whole sonic picture is simply more alive, real, holographic, "insert more adjectives here."

What can I say, for $328 I really am in disbelief right now. Incredible.

Cliff
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

you're gettin' this future Ascend purchaser all excited!.. always fun to hear such enthusiasm. Congrats.

Btw, how did you stumble upon the Ascends and what made you decide to give them a try?

bombadil67
02-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Gregisme,

Well, like many folks I started my "research" several months back. You know, Speaker Asylum, AVS, AudioCircle, etc. At the time I hadn't heard of Ascend. And even though the name kept popping up when I was searching for speakers, I wrote them off because I had never heard of 'em. At first my mind was set on HTD (Home Theater Direct), then Axiom and Energy, but that Ascend thing kept making it into many of the forum messages. I eventually followed a link to a Soundstage review, then Ascend's web-site, then AudioReview, and eventually, after some further considerations, I bought my CBM's. In a nutshell. :-)

Cliff

Gregisme
02-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Feels kinda like reaching the dramatic conclusion of the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, doesn't it?

A destiny realized.

ok, that's a shade melodramatic, I suppose. :-P

curtis
02-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Any marketing people out there?

Cliff...do you think it is a brand recognition issue? I learned of the internet brands in this order: HTD, Rocket, Ascend, Aperion, and then Axiom. Of those now, Aperion and Axiom do by far the most advertising (banners and pop-ups). I have never seen an Ascend advertisement, but I have read they did advertise in magazines.

-curtis

bombadil67
02-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Gregisme, perhaps a little melodramatic, but I am certainly content with the outcome.

Curtis, you know that's an interesting question. But I'm not sure how well Ascend is doing in the first place. Perhaps their sales figure may be higher than we (or I, you may be privy to some info. that I don't have) realize. Also, is Ascend content on being a "smaller" company?. . . maybe this is their niche, so to speak. Again, it's almost impossible to speculate here. But there's no question: Aperion has mega-pop ups, and I hope Ascend doesn't go this route.

I haven't picked up an audio rag lately, so I really don't know if Ascend ads. there or not. Hmmmm.

Brad_Judy mentioned in his review, the "conclusions" section that Ascend ought to get involved with groups like "AudioEnvy." I would definitely second that motion. But, all in all, if they have a small ad. budget, and word of mouth (and internet searches) is working for them; then that means we get better products cheaper.[:D]

You know it took Amazon.com 10 years to turn a profit, due in part to it's exhorbitant ad. budget. If Ascend can get by without this major expense, then more power to 'em!

I'm not an ad. guy, so this is just postulating on my part. The bit about Amazon is factual though.

Cliff

curtis
02-15-2004, 03:39 PM
the interesting thing about audioenvy is that it only has Divas, Rockets and SVS listed. I wonder what the procedure or requirement is to get listed. There are many small speaker companies that would benefit from being listed there....Ascend, Axiom, Aperion, Green Mountain, ACI, Odyssey Audio.......

Ascend and Axiom do have more professional reviews than the other companies, and I am sure that does not hurt marketing at all.

-curtis

bombadil67
02-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I visited the site briefly and noticed the same thing. I'm not sure what it takes to get in . . . will have to check in on that. . . but not tonight. Have to get sleep so I can get up early and log some more time on my 170s before work! LOL, I'm hooked.

Cliff