PDA

View Full Version : T-amp with 170SEs

Eddie
12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Just treated myself to a little bit of heaven. Wow! In a 25' x 25' room, with a raised ceiling...no lack of power! Well ok, I'm not using wall-rattling levels, but more than respectable, guesstimate 75-80db with the volume at about twelve o'clock.

Huge soundstage, drop-dead imaging, surprisingly adequate bass (the speakers are about 1.5' from the back wall). The clarity and midrange that I remembered from my old 340 Classics that I used to run with first NAD separates and then a digital Panny.

Don't think I'll ever go back to a full-sized amp again, digital or not. This little $140 cigarette-pack sized box is stunning. Has a certain lushness and musicality that the other two did not, somehow. Jazz and female vocals are especially stunning. And that's just me using a cheap Panasonic DVD recorder's DAC...am eager to hear the improvement that a Marantz or Oppo player will provide.

God bless cheap new technology, even if it's made in big bad high-polluting, Tibet-stealing, dissident-killing China! :D

If anyone here is considering a low-budget 2-channel music system, this might be the one to beat.

Quinn
12-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Eddie-
Sorry we weren't able to hook you up a Sierra listening session while you were in town.

blaisejc
12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Eddie,

Where did you get your T-amp? Is it a Sonic Impact SuperT, a 41Hz Amp6, or something else?

Thanks,

Blaise

Eddie
12-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Eddie-
Sorry we weren't able to hook you up a Sierra listening session while you were in town.

No problem, it was a pretty tight week for me too. I *am* very curious to hear them. In fact, next time I'm back I'll just put my T-amp in a shirt pocket and bring it over to see how it fares with the Sierras' 86db sensitivity! :D

Eddie
12-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Eddie,
Where did you get your T-amp? Is it a Sonic Impact SuperT, a 41Hz Amp6, or something else?

a Trends Audio TA10.1, from audiomagus.com

Was going to get the SuperT but the 6moons review and Stereomojo digital amp shootout swayed me.