View Full Version : My Re-Certified 170 SE’s came in today, initial impressions and a few pics!

Matt_Smi
12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
After playing so much back and fourth in my head about what speakers to buy to replace my aging, older than me, straight from the 80s, Advents, I finally decided to pull the trigger on some re-certified 170 SE’s with SP-30 stands, so far I am very happy I decided to make this move. Just for an FYI, I plan to only run these as my mains for a few mouths, then once I have some more money to spend (receiver upgrade comes first) I plan to purchase Sierra-1s for my front soundstage, and then the 170s will take over surround duty. So here we go with the impressions, I will try not to go on too long but I want to mention as much as I can.

Initial impressions of packaging, build quality, ect.

The speakers came well packaged and arrived undamaged. They were bigger than expected, but I imaged this would be the case. I inspected both speakers, figuring since they were re-certs I would find some type of blemish or a note to remind me these were used speakers, but I could not find any flaws! I swear it looks like no one has ever touched these speakers before, maybe Ascend sent me a new pair by mistake. The speakers look OK, nothing special but not ugly either, they match my HSU VTF-3 MK3 nicely, but again these will be my surrounds eventually so I am not concerned with looks here. I was also impressed with the stands, very sturdy and heavier than I thought, they also have very nice brass spikes and with the 170s perched on top they give off that cool studio monitor look, although they are a little taller than I would like, 37” overall height with speakers would have been a bit better looking IMO, but if the height helps the imaging I am all for it.

Listening tests/impressions of sound

First of I have to mentioned I am running these speakers with an incredibly cheap, crappy and dated AVR, it’s a Sony 545 that I purchased in 2001 when I was first getting in HT, it was $300 then and claims to put out 100 watts per channel, I would not be surprised if actual output was more like 40-50 watts a channel. That said I decided to setup the good old A/B test between the Ascends and my Advents so I could switch on the fly. I did this with some different source material, including high bit rate (192kbs) MP3s, CD’s and DVD’s. At first the differences were not striking between the two speakers, but the more I listened the more pleased I became, first off the soundstage and imaging is much better, I know everyone says this but the speakers do almost disappear when you are in the sweet spot, and the they give the impression that the sound is all around you, a very immersive speaker. Next would be the nuances of sound coming though, whether it be an extra guitar strum or a cymbal, I was hearing things that I could not notice with my old speakers, while they may have been there if you listened closely, they did not shine though like with the Ascends. The speakers sound overall much cleared and hit higher notes, but they do not sound harsh or bright on the high end, which was a big fear of mine, they also do not make my MP3 collection (mainly 160-192 Kbs bit rate) sound like crap, another big fear of mine.

I invited a friend over who is into sound (not an audiophile), but he knows his sound, in fact I just sold him my old STF-2 after upgrading. Anyway we did a blind listening test on a few songs and he always picked the Ascends, he said on some tracks it was hard to tell, but as soon as some complex instruments started playing, or the soundstage opened up the difference was clear. He plans on buying a pair of Dana 630's, so you can expect an A/B between those two from me in the future!

I understand that the Advents are old, but I still consider them to be very fine loudspeakers, much better than many I have heard today, and it is amazing that a speaker 1/4th its size and at only $350 a pair ($250 in my case) outperforms them, and just think these will be my surrounds and I will be getting the top of the line model for my fronts!
My friend and I only complaints are that the speakers can sound a little thin on the mid bass and bass in general, but I really think this has to do with my crappy AVR, it seems to be barley moving those poor woofers, this could also be due to my room. But overall I love the signature sound of the speakers, all the words most use to describe them are true, I wont list them all but you know what I mean, neutral, revealing but not fatiguing, open soundstage, ect.

In conclusion, so far based on only about 4 hours with them I love them and am pretty sure they are here to stay with a set of L-C-R Sierra-1s on the way in the near future (tax return time anyone). I still have a lot of listening, testing and configuration to do. And my next purchase will be a new AVR, either an Onkyo 705 or 805, but wow my system is finally starting to come together peace by peace. Here are a few pictures of my old speakers and new ones. Enjoy!

Old

http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/34814372868.jpg

http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/34814373326.jpg

New (I love how much space it appears to have opened up)

http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/35023483788.jpg

http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/35023483795.jpg

HSU VTF-3 MK3 for fun (man I LOVE this sub!)

http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/34717082691.jpg

http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/34814373397.jpg

Comments welcome, and thank you Ascend!

Mike^S
12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Fantastic!

Two questions:

1) Aren't you afraid you may knock them off the stands getting out of bed?

2) How 'bout pointing the camera a little higher so we can get a better view of those posters? Wowza! :p:p

Matt_Smi
12-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Fantastic!

Two questions:

1) Aren't you afraid you may knock them off the stands getting out of bed?

2) How 'bout pointing the camera a little higher so we can get a better view of those posters? Wowza! :p:p

A little afraid, but I am used to having a big speaker there so I know how to avoid it. And ahh yes the posters, sometimes when I post pictures I get more comments on those than my setup haha, sad but true.

curtis
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
My friend and I only complaints are that the speakers can sound a little thin on the mid bass and bass in general, but I really think this has to do with my crappy AVR, it seems to be barley moving those poor woofers, this could also be due to my room.
It could also just be due to you being acustomed to speakers than may be a little bloated or emphasized in those areas. In my recent experience with the 630's I felt there was a bit of emphasis down low...could have been the room though.

Yeah....what he said!

Matt_Smi
12-19-2007, 10:15 PM
So do you guys think that an Onkyo 705, or possibly 805 (if I can afford it), will work well with these speakers?

Grasschopper
12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
If you get the Onkyo get the 805 for sure. Keep an eye on Amazon and CC .com sites as there have been a lot of $699 deals or even better (CC has has $699 plus 10% off for instore pick up when ordered over the web) and the DACs and amps are much better. I love my 805.

Matt_Smi
12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow, I am really liking these speakers more and more. I was listening to some Phil Collins, and the details that come though are amazing, so clear yet so natural sounding and easy to listen to. I really don't think that a much better speaker could be made for $258, or even maybe twice that. They are also amazing for HT, I played the start of Saving Private Ryan to demo them for some friends, and they were impressed, by both the speakers as well as the VTF-3 MK3 and how they blended.

I am almost considering just getting another pair for my surrounds plus a 340 SE center and calling it a day, but if these are this good then I cannot wait to hear how good the Sierra's sound!

Matt_Smi
12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
I just pulled the trigger on an Onkyo 805 today, it was a really tough choice for me to pick between the 705 and 805, but I got the 805 for $716 shipped, I could not resist that price, the 705 was 610 shipped, so it was only $106 more, I figure it is worth it since the amp section seems to be much better an beefer. I cannot believe how my HT setup is finally starting to come together with some nice components, nor can I believe how much money I have been spending on things as of late. But it really is overdue, my AVR will be 7 years old this Feb. Plus I am getting my bonus in Jan, and tax return season is coming up.

Next up will be Sierra's across the front, but not for a while, I have a feeling that with the new Onkyo, the 170s will come alive and keep my happy for a while.

MichaelG
12-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Congrats Matt on the 805. I truly love mine with the Ascend speakers. I'm sure you will too!

Michael

muzz
01-03-2008, 09:30 PM
170's are pretty sweet sounding, and I did the same thing.

Got the Sierra 3some(sounds kinky huh? lol), and moved my 1`70's to surround duty...

Sounds sweet!!

Enjoy the speakers and the new AVR

m

Matt_Smi
01-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I got the Onkyo 805 yesterday, I cannot go into too much detail right now, but main I love this combo of receiver and speakers. At first I was not blown away like I thought I would be, but it is also hard to A/B an amp, but the more I listens the more I noticed how much better the speakers sounded. Here is what I observed with out of the box settings.

- The soundstage is even more open, you really cannot tell where the sound is coming from, its great
- When pushed at very loud volumes the speakers do not start to sound harsh or give up at all like with the old AVR, they just sound clear and loud, they also sound better at low volumes too
- Little details that I was missing with my old speakers are even more apparent now
- My sub sounds even better somehow! And it blends with the speakers better

The best way I can put it is before my system sounded good, but there was still something that was not quite right, but now it sounds complete, everything is right. The 805 is great, it is so nice to hook all my video sources into it and run one HDMI cable back to the TV, it has a ton of nice features that I have yet to play with and looks great as well. Very happy, I am even considering just getting 340s for across the front now since I am so happy with the 170s!