PDA

View Full Version : ADS HT300 vs Ascend 170's

Jacob C
12-15-2007, 09:58 PM
If you read my other thread you know I am looking for a set of speakers for my parents. I picked up a used, but rather nice, receiver for them. Then I offered the salesman the opportunity to sell me a set of speaker for less than $300. (the price of the 170 refurbs) He recommmened ADS HT300s and they did have a decent sound to them but I am pretty sure the Ascends would surpass them in every category except extension on the low end. The salesman offered to let me bring in my speakers to A/B them. So it is on. If anyone here has heard these speakers let me know what to expect. I'll be comparing them to my 170 SEs.

Jacob C
12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
So here it is:

Nickel Creek (SACD):

Track 2, The Lighthouse's Tale: Winner Ascend
Track 3, Out of the Woods: Winner Ascend
Track 6, When You Come Back Down: Winner Ascend

Observations on this disc:
The sound stage of the Ascends is much wider. The ADS speakers sound like the music is coming from boxes where the Ascends sound like the wall is radiating music. The 170's sound more open and the ADS was somewhat congested. With the Ascends you could easily hear the pick hitting the strings on the various picked instruments. This was not apparent on the ADS. However, the ADS speakers0 do go a little deeper and are a little more laid back which was an advantage in the test room. Compared to my living room the 170s were much brighter in the test room.

Shostakovich Symphony No 5 performed by The London Symphony Orchestra (SACD):

Track 1, Moderato : Winner Ascend but this one was closer

Again the Ascends had the advantages discussed above but the ADS made a good showing. Some instruments sounded more natural on the ADS. The Ascends were more dynamic, and had a much more stable image. Over both were enjoyable but very different. It may have been the room but the Ascends seemed to have a bump in the upper midrange but this was not a major issue. (I know the measurements are flat) I also do not hear this at home.

Jars of Clay, Who We Are Instead:

Track 1, Sunny Days: Winner Ascend
Track 5, Trouble Is: Winner Ascend
Track 11, Jealous Kind: Winner Ascend

ADS plays deeper, Ascend has "faster" bass. Again, sound stage is much better the Ascends. Virtually everything was better on the ascends. Guitars sounded better. The vocals were better and the image was more stable. Pop/rock does not fair well for ADS.

Overall: Ascends win but there were passages that made me wish they had the smoothness the ADS exhibited on parts of disc 2. The high mid bump was probably the room and the extension advantage of the ADS is minimal. It looks like my parents get a set of Ascends. ADS cannot overcome the tiny sound stage and the congested sound that creeps in all too often. Now if I could just afford Sierras.....

I wrote this in a hurry so let me know if it doesn't make sense or you have further questions.

Mike^S
12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for posting. Are these the speakers you're talking about:

http://www99.shopping.com/xPF-A-D-S-HT300

Jacob C
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Those are the speakers. They can be found for decent prices and have a small footprint. I was actually pretty impressed, for a sealed 5 1/4 design it had pretty deep bass with the small enclosure. I wouldn't consider them competition for the 170s but in the world of B&M they might be a decent value.

On a side note, I also listened to some $2000 a pair Eclipse speakers connected to some nice 2 channel gear. They were in the same room so I couldnt resist. In my opinion the ascends were obviously better. The one driver design of the eclipse just couldn't cope with anything but simple vocal music. The bass was weak and not as tight as the ascends and highs were lacking as well. The midrange was very nice but only with simple music. Nickel Creek "Out of the Woods" did sound nice but I would keep my ascends over tham any day..... unless I could sell them and buy Sierras. :) The McIntosh in the next room were a different story. It is amazing how good 55k can sound.

Galwin
12-18-2007, 05:27 AM
These a/d/s represent the remnant of what was once a great speaker company from Massachusetts. The are now marketed through Directed Electronics in California: http://www.adst.com/products/home/htheater/bshelf/ht300.asp

I too was interested in them becuasue of the liquidation prices, retail $500.00 and now going on Ebay for about $150.00 shipped. The aluminum enclosure and the highly regarded a/d/s soft dome tweeter had me intrigued. Based on your review, it does not sound like a great value, even at the reduced price.

Jacob C
12-18-2007, 09:15 AM
I too was interested in them becuasue of the liquidation prices, retail $500.00 and now going on Ebay for about $150.00 shipped.

As far as B&M goes I don't think I've found anything that would compete at those prices. They are decent speakers and have some attractive qualities but the Ascends just deliver the goods.

davef
12-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the wonderful write-up!

I am very pleased that you are enjoying the CBM-170 SE :)

Take care!