PDA

View Full Version : Using the SP-30 Speaker Stands with Sierra-1's?

Matt_Smi
12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Will these stands work with the Sierra-1's? What I plan to do is order a pair of Re-certified CBM-170 SE and get the SP-30 stands with them. I want to hear the Ascend sound by trying these out. If I like them then I will oder Sierra's across the front and use the SP-30 stands for them and then just get the Omni Brackets to mount by 170s on the wall for surround duty.

curtis
12-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah...they should work fine with the Sierras as well. In fact, they will work with most bookshelf type speakers.

BTW, you posted on AVS that you like the Vienna Acoustic Haydns. I have never heard them, but from reading and talking to people that have, Ascends do not sound like them.

Matt_Smi
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah...they should work fine with the Sierras as well. In fact, they will work with most bookshelf type speakers.

BTW, you posted on AVS that you like the Vienna Acoustic Haydns. I have never heard them, but from reading and talking to people that have, Ascends do not sound like them.

Ok great thanks, I actually just ordered the re-certified 170s and the SP-30 Stands as well for a total of $384 shipped, which is not bad at all. Man between these and the HSU 3.3 I ordered last week I am going to be in for some fun this Holiday season.

As far as the Haydn's, yes I did like them, but I only got to listen to two musical tracks, and I hear they are not great for HT. I thing I mainly liked about them was that their sound stage sounded open and wide, and I have heard the same about the Acend's. But their bass response was pretty poor, not fast or tight enough. They were also not very harsh on the highs which I liked, I have heard Ascends are not harsh on the highs either. But anyway I am not basing my purchase on the notion that "since I like the Haydn's I will love the Ascends". I have wanted Ascends for a long time and finally decided to just go for it, and if I do not like them I just lose $20 to return them, and keep the stands for the next set of speakers that I try out.

If I keep heming and hawing I will never pull the trigger, so I decided to just go for it for once, I am sick of reading over and over again about so many people happy with their Ascends, I hope to become one of those people!

Mike^S
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey Matt, what kind of speakers are you running right now?

Matt_Smi
12-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey Matt, what kind of speakers are you running right now?

I have some old Avent floor standers from the late 80s for fronts, they look something like this http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/29/98/Large_Advent_Speakers-resized200.jpg

No Center speaker

For Surrounds I have some Craptastic Sony's floor standers that I cannot wait to get rid of

Subwoofer is the only good thing in my setup (on the audio side anyway) and its an HSU STF-2, but I just ordered an VTF-3 MK3 last week.

Let just say I am in for a pretty significant upgrade on the audio front, and if I like what I hear I will be ordering the Serria's around tax return time. In the meantime the 170s will be my fronts and I will continue to deal with the Sony surrounds for the time being. I recently got a good IT job for my age (22), I have been working there for 6 mouths and saving a ton of money. Before my system was peaced together with random components but now I am looking to do it right, and get all my toys while I can afford them before moving out.

Mike^S
12-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey Matt, that's great buddy. I remember seeing your posts way back when you first got the STF-2. I think I have gone thru about 3 or 4 subwoofers since then. You have more self control than I do. :p

Matt_Smi
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey Matt, that's great buddy. I remember seeing your posts way back when you first got the STF-2. I think I have gone thru about 3 or 4 subwoofers since then. You have more self control than I do. :p

Yup, I have had it for over 3 years and I love it, but its time to upgrade and I have a friend who is giving me $200 for it, so Its like I got my 3.3 for only $530. I am trying to do things right this time and plan it out, but also snag up whatever deals I can when I can. Before my funds were very limited so I always hesitated on pulling the trigger, well no more!