PDA

View Full Version : hooking up 170SEs and x-sub to computer

ebh
12-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi,

just wanted to get some brief help/confirmation figuring out how to get my 170s and an x-sub connected to my computer. I plan on using the t-amp for amplification.

From what I see in the x-sub manual, I would hook up speaker wire between the 170s' binding posts and the t-amp, and then also run wire from the 170s' binding posts to the high level inputs on the sub. To get from the computer to the amp, I'd just use a cable with a mini out from the line out on my sound card (an original audigy) to two RCAs that would go into the t-amp.

Does that all sound right?

BradJudy
12-07-2007, 04:14 PM
DO NOT connect a t-amp in this manner. Sub plate amps ties the negative to ground and t-amps have a negative that has a voltage off-set from ground. The result can be damaging. T-amps should not be connected to high-level inputs of subs - your t-amp manual should state this as well.

You have a couple of options. First, you can get something like this from AudioMagus: http://www.audiomagus.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage_modern/product_id,22/category_id,21/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/

It's designed for this exact application, but isn't cheap.

If you will mainly be controlling the volume using the computer (rather than the volume knob on the t-amp), then you can split the output from your sound card and send it to both the sub RCA input and the T-amp.

If your soundcard has 5.1 output, and you'll control the volume on the computer, you can send the front output to the t-amp and the sub output to the sub.

ebh
12-07-2007, 04:30 PM
thanks brad. don't have the t-amp yet, but this is exactly why i asked the question.

my card has 5.1, so I will try that route. But in that case, what sets the crossover? software in the computer?

Forgetting the t-amp, is there a better (and still very cheap) way of setting up the 170s and x-sub to play stuff from my computer?

rogerm
12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi,

I have the Trends Audio TA-10. I have it connected to my computer with a USB DAC and a SubLine T-Amp sub adapter connects the sub to the T-amp.
They run $69.95 at www.audiomagus.com. It works great.

Roger

BradJudy
12-07-2007, 06:20 PM
my card has 5.1, so I will try that route. But in that case, what sets the crossover? software in the computer?

Yes, this would be configured in the sound card driver, although some drivers might have a fixed crossover that isn't displayed or configurable.

Forgetting the t-amp, is there a better (and still very cheap) way of setting up the 170s and x-sub to play stuff from my computer?

Non-digital amps would be one approach.

If your soundcard has a digital output, you could pick up an Onkyo 304 receiver for $150.