PDA

View Full Version : Considering Sierra-1's

JonInRI
12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy some new speakers in January (LCR) and then buy the rest of a 7.1 setup a little at a time and I've been considering the Sierra-1's. Had a couple questions. For the fronts I would probably end up placing them on stands and the center on the tv stand itself. Does the sierra-1 center have feet on the bottom of it? Or is it literally just a Sierra-1 with the tweeter turned and a bigger grill? I guess without feet I'd be worried about scratching up the side of it. Are there any feet or pads on the bottom of the standard Sierra-1? And the other big concern I have is for the Side and Rear surrounds I'd most likely have to somehow wall mount them. I saw the Sierra-1's have a threaded insert but I saw in another post that your not supposed to use it for mounting? Thanks!

- Jon

EDIT: Also I'd be powering them with an Onkyo 805 in a mediumish room. Will that be enough power to make them go loud enough for home theater?

JonInRI
12-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Bump, anyone using these for HT in a medium sized room with any positive (or negative) feedback?

- Jon

curtis
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I am using them as LCR in a 14x18 room.....no negatives at all.

JonInRI
12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Awesome, glad to hear. What volumes you do you usually listen at? I've heard that they need some good power to sound their best. Think the Onkyo 805 will at the very least be able to handle movies at reference without distortion? I think I'm seeing 7 Sierra's in my future!

- Jon

curtis
12-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Lately I have been listening between I believe 10-15dB less than reference, although I have not really measured to be exact.

I would think you should be able to drive yourself out of the room wiht the 805, but I do not have first hand knowledge.

Mike^S
12-11-2007, 07:19 PM
I too have three Sierras across the front, with the center sitting on top of my tv. I am using a very soft, auto detail type of towel underneath it. I just cut out a rectangular piece and placed it between the tv and the speaker. Protects it from scratches and keeps the speaker from sliding around.

It looks something like this:

http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/super_shammies.htm

JonInRI
12-11-2007, 07:58 PM
One other question? Anyone have a pic of the bottom? How are people securing them onto stands? Not sure I feel comfortable with them just sitting on a stand since they are close to an entrance to the room.

- Jon

curtis
12-11-2007, 08:12 PM
On the top of my TV, I am using Auralex MoPads.

On the stands, I am using Sorbothane pads that I got off of eBay.

Matt_Smi
12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
On the top of my TV, I am using Auralex MoPads.

On the stands, I am using Sorbothane pads that I got off of eBay.

Curtis, what are you using for surrounds? Another pair of Sierra's? Or 170s?

curtis
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Curtis, what are you using for surrounds? Another pair of Sierra's? Or 170s?
I am using 170SE's for side surrounds, and classic 170's for rear surrounds.

Matt_Smi
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Cool and they do the job well? The only reason I ask is because I just recently ordered a pair of re-cert 170s, and I will be running them as fronts for a bit, if I like what I hear I plan to buy Sierra's for fronts and have the 170s run as my side surrounds. Unless I am so wow'd by them that I just buy another pair and call it a day. I do not think surrounds have to be too crazy, so I think the 170s will be perfect, even overkill maybe. But I would like to spend some more on my fronts, since I just dropped $700 for my HSU 3.3 and I hear that in a balanced system your fronts and sub should cost about the same.

curtis
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
They do the job very well.

Of course, I would like to have Sierras all the way around, but I don't have a good way of mounting them....and no way am I going to drill into the cabinets.

Matt_Smi
12-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Yup, 170s will mount nicely with the Omni brackets. For me the Serria-1's would be a bit overkill for surrounds, I really don't think surrounds need to be too crazy, but maybe I am wrong and anyhow I figure the 170s will work just fine. I almost went with the HTM-200s, but I am really trying to do my speaker setup right and am willing to spend what it takes (within reason) to get it there.

curtis
12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
I have not heard the HTM-200SE yet, but if I were to put together a mainly HT system, I would take a hard look at them because their mounting options are flexible.