PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Upgrade from 170SE to Sierra

mikeroy4
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I am brand new to the Ascend family and recently purchased a pair of 170SE and love them thus far. I have been reading the forums and reviews and very curious about how much better the Sierra 1 speakers sound. I primarily just listen to music and have a 2.1 system with a Onkyo 705 receiver and use a CSW Base Cube 10 Subwoofer. I have read that the subwoofer I have is no good so I am looking to replace that with one of the HSU models. My house is small and I listen to music in two adjoining rooms. The rooms are approximately 14 x 8, and a open entry into a room that is 15 x 15. I have a $1000 budget (to start) and have been debating going with a 4 -170s (two per room) or upgrade now to the Sierra 1 and just keep the 2.1 setup. Any suggestions for someone new to this who likes all types of music and is not concerned about home theatre at this point.

Mike^S
12-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I am brand new to the Ascend family and recently purchased a pair of 170SE and love them thus far. I have been reading the forums and reviews and very curious about how much better the Sierra 1 speakers sound. I primarily just listen to music and have a 2.1 system with a Onkyo 705 receiver and use a CSW Base Cube 10 Subwoofer. I have read that the subwoofer I have is no good so I am looking to replace that with one of the HSU models. My house is small and I listen to music in two adjoining rooms. The rooms are approximately 14 x 8, and a open entry into a room that is 15 x 15. I have a $1000 budget (to start) and have been debating going with a 4 -170s (two per room) or upgrade now to the Sierra 1 and just keep the 2.1 setup. Any suggestions for someone new to this who likes all types of music and is not concerned about home theatre at this point.

There is definitely a pretty big difference between the two. The 170SE are great speakers especially for the price. But the Sierras are another level or two up. Although you have to really enjoy listening to music to appreciate the difference. Do you enjoy sitting down and just listening to the music or is it more for just playing background music while you do other things around the house? If it's the former, then get the Sierras. If it's the latter, stick with the 170's.

BradJudy
12-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm surprised a music person with a 2.1 setup went for an Onkyo 705 instead of something like an NAD or Cambridge integrated amp, or the Outlaw RR2150.

Mike gave some good advice that I agree with.

davef
12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Do you enjoy sitting down and just listening to the music or is it more for just playing background music while you do other things around the house? If it's the former, then get the Sierras. If it's the latter, stick with the 170's.

Hey Mike, that is great advice and I couldn't agree more... I might have to borrow this one ;)

mikeroy4
12-05-2007, 09:24 PM
thank you for your helpful responses. I am leaning toward getting the Sierra 1 when they arrive. If I listen mainly to music, will I need a sub with the Sierra 1? Also I what distance is too far apart for two speakers? As I mentioned I have two rooms that essentially are one big room. I was contemplating one speaker in one room and the other in the far corner. Is that too much distance between the two to have good sound? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike^S
12-08-2007, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't put the speakers on opposite sides of the room. Generally you shouldn't put them more than about 12 feet apart. Corners of the room are also a bad place to put a speaker. Can you post a picture or diagram of your room?

Whether or not you need a subwoofer depends on how loud you want to play and what type of music you listen to.

azanon
12-10-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm surprised a music person with a 2.1 setup went for an Onkyo 705 instead of something like an NAD or Cambridge integrated amp, or the Outlaw RR2150.

Mike gave some good advice that I agree with.

Depends on what the 2.1 speakers are, don't you think? 170s aren't expensive speakers (relatively speaking), but aren't those choices you listed for amplifiers expensive?

BradJudy
12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Depends on what the 2.1 speakers are, don't you think? 170s aren't expensive speakers (relatively speaking), but aren't those choices you listed for amplifiers expensive?

They are as cheap (or cheaper) than the Onkyo 705 that he owns, so I consider it an appropriate comparison.