PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs your thoughts

Steps
12-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm a longtime stereo listener with a high end system that won't be affected by the changes that I want to make to my HT/surround audio system--in the same room. This #2 system is powered by a Denon AVR-2805: 100 watts into 7 channels. The deck is a Denon DVD-2200. I'm going to replace the present HSU Ventroquist speakers with Ascend 340s/340c in the front and 200s in the back or Sierra 1s in the front and 200s in the back.

The room is 13x22, has two AV racks, a couple of large CD cases, five large book cases and a large desk with a book case attached; it is mostly carpeted. One one side wall, at the rear, there's a staircase open to the upstairs. The system will be used for surround audio listening much more than for HT. I enjoy SACD classical, jazz, bluegrass, etc.

Whatever speakers I buy now, I'll be paying for into the 1st few months of '08. And the longer that takes, the longer it will be before I can start to save for replacement electronics. I'd like to put an Emotiva receiver in place of the Denon 2805 and completely upgrade the sound of this system. So! 340s now and Emotiva DMR-1 sooner, or Sierra 1s now and live with the Denon for awhile longer? And with the 2200 deck, as it will go eventually, too. Life with hi-fi gear was ever thus, huh?

I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone who has lived with any or all of this gear.

Thanks,
John

curtis
12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
If the goal is higher fidelity, then Sierras and wait on the electronics would be my choice.

debo
12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I'll second the Sierra choice.

blindcat7
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
I would also vote for the Sierras. They really are the next level.

Chris

Steps
12-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Many thanks to Curtis, Jeff, and Chris for responding to my post. I've asked my wife if she'll put out the word to Santa for me: Sierra 1s (PB), w/ stands, and HTM 200s are in my (near) future. My b'day is later in the week, so that will take up some slack. WHOOOOEEEEEEE! :D

John