PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo 805 deal at CC

Mike613
12-01-2007, 03:57 PM
FYI - CC has the Onkyo 805 receiver for $699. Not sure how long this sale is going to last...Picked one up this morning.

BradJudy
12-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Nice deal!

Grasschopper
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
It is an awesome receiver...I picked one up from shoponkyo.com for $529 (refurb) and couldn't be happier.

BoBoish
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Picked one up myself on Friday from Circuit City (price match to Fry's before Circuit City had put it on sale). I'm still trying to dial it in, but overall I think this is a fantastic receiver. I was worried it would be "bright" as compared to the H/K I had before, but I wouldn't say that at all. I do, however, think I prefer it with Audyssey equalizer adjustments turned off...It just seems to make my 340s sound kind of lifeless. Anybody else feel the same?

ebh
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Picked one up myself on Friday from Circuit City (price match to Fry's before Circuit City had put it on sale). I'm still trying to dial it in, but overall I think this is a fantastic receiver. I was worried it would be "bright" as compared to the H/K I had before, but I wouldn't say that at all. I do, however, think I prefer it with Audyssey equalizer adjustments turned off...It just seems to make my 340s sound kind of lifeless. Anybody else feel the same?

any thoughts on the sound differences between the HK and Onkyo? I may be in want of a new receiver soon.

blindcat7
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I am also interested in your impressions on this. I have had to rule out HK for my next receiver because I need one that accepts DSD over HDMI and there are not too many models out there that do this, the 805 is one that does.

Thanks,

Chris

any thoughts on the sound differences between the HK and Onkyo? I may be in want of a new receiver soon.

BoBoish
12-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Honestly, as far as sound quality is concerned, both are extremely comparable. I consider quality being detailed without being harsh. In this same system, I've also had a Pioneer 1015 before I had the H/K 247. The Pioneer sounded muddy and...blunted...compared to both the H/K and the Onkyo. I think it's amps were just in a different (much lesser) league.

The extra power of the Onkyo 805 is definitely apparent at higher volumes over the H/K. The H/K was rated at 50 wpc. Even though H/K rates their amps truly, it (surprisingly) ran out of steam at slightly above moderate volume levels in my setup...though I have a very open floor plan and so this is understandable. At my normal, moderate listening levels, the Onkyo and H/K sound pretty much the same. The Onkyo may be a touch more dynamic at those moderate levels...but that could just be in my head.

I will note that while I didn't like what the Audyssey EQ in the Onkyo did to my system, I did like what H/K's EzSet/EQ did to it. However, like I said, the non-EQ'd Onkyo sounds very comparable to the EQ'd H/K as far as sound quality goes...so perhaps H/K's EQ didn't do much to alter the sound.

The thing of it is...I'm still playing with the Onkyo. There are so many setup options with this thing. It's unbelievable. The H/K had a very basic menu with very little to tweak.

With all of this, you have to understand that I'm comparing the Onkyo 805 to a H/K receiver that retails for half the price. It's really saying something that the H/K could even be comparable. It's too bad that the particular model I had (the 247) had too many quirks and glitches (LFE bug on PCM, no 7.1 with PCM, video issues, etc). If they ever get those issues sorted out with firmware updates, it will be a great value.

To sum it all up - At normal listening levels, the H/K and Onkyo 805 sound similar in my Ascend system. Or...rather....They allow my Ascends to sound their best (airy, open, detailed).

Steps
12-04-2007, 02:03 PM
This sale must be regional--or over. I've tried the phoned stores, here in Georgia, and they haven't heard of a sale on the 805. CC on the web lists it at $949.99. Sure it isn't Apr. 1? :(

John

BradJudy
12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
It was over before the end of the day. These super-deals seem to be really short lived these days.

MichaelG
12-16-2007, 07:15 AM
FYI - CC has the Onkyo 805 receiver for $699. Not sure how long this sale is going to last...Picked one up this morning.

On their website, Circuit City has the Onkyo 805 on sale for 699 and you can get a 10% off coupon with in store pickup!

I love this Receiver but wish they were having these sales last summer!

Michael

Steps
12-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, MichaelG. I just ordered the SR805, and it will be here before Christmas. I've already asked Santa for a Sierra 1/ HTM 200 system, so all I have left to go is the Oppo 981 that I (tentatively) have my sights set on. Whew!

John

"Once down is no battle."

MichaelG
12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds great John! You will be set if Santa comes through! I have the 340SE's and 170's and they sound awesome. I would have liked a couple of Sierra's but didn't figure Mrs Santa would go for it!

Happy Holidays!

Michael

Steps
12-17-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm making all sorts of plans for my listening room/office, MichaelG. Reading everything I can find on acoustic treatment, speaker placement, etc. I've been a stereo buff for donkey's years but surround is fairly new to me. I have a 5.1 system, but it's nothing to brag about. I'm serious about the one I'm putting together now. One problem is that I'll have my high end stereo speakers and the new Sierras in the same space, and it's only 22x12.5'. Front speaker placement might be tricky.

Happy Holidays to you--and everyone!
John

Once down is no battle

Steps
01-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Here's the latest, in case anyone else is looking for the SR805 deal at CC. The silver model is on sale today for $699. Looks sharp!
Best to all, and a belated Happy New Year.

John
"Once down is no battle."

Eddie Horton
01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
I picked up a black one a few days ago to replace my aging Yammy 5790. So far, so good with my first experience with HDMI. I've got a DirecTV receiver, my HD DVD player and XBOX 360 all going into it with no problems. I've also pulled my outlaw M-200's out of the mix with no regrets. This receiver is a beast and will push my Ascends as loud as I need them. It's also tweakable to no end with different speaker and sub memories for each input so everything is exactly level matched no matter what component you are using. I never liked the YPAO auto setup on the Yamaha, but the Audessey system on this Onkyo is really good. I'm not a fan of HDMI, as I think it was designed to foil piracy, but in the end will only hinder the legal user, but my equipment rack is a lot cleaner now. It will also send out component signals through the HDMI output to the display, so with the 3 HDMI and the 3 component inputs, you can hook up 6 hi def sources and let the receiver do all the switching. Really convienent.