PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a speaker makes

Grasschopper
11-29-2007, 04:58 AM
I mean wow...just wow. I got a pair of 340SEs yesterday with the stands. These speakers replace my Acoustic Research PS 318s which I thought were ok speakers...I apparently don't know crap about speakers. :eek:

I hooked everything up and placed the speakers as best as I could...room is 20x13x8 so I couldn't get the recomended spread for my listening distance, I did place them a little wider and farther forward than the ARs were. The 340s are also taller placing the tweeter much higher (6-8 inches maybe). I also swaped out the Monster XP speaker wire I was using with 11 awg Monster cable (not sure if it has a special name...HD maybe?). After hookup I re-ran the Audyssey room setup on my Onkyo TX-SR805 and then went through with my SPL meter and made slight adjustments to the speaker levels.

So later in the evening my wife and I sat down to watch CSI:NY and CSI from last week on our DirecTV HD DVR. WOW was all I could say. The sound was so much more deep. I half thought the Audyssey testing went better but the more I listened the more clear it became that it was the 340s making the difference. The sound had SO much more depth...I think I coul drun the system 2.1 and still have a wonderful surround feel....but why do that? :D

So here is the question: With the huge differnce I am seeing having changed my mains...when I dump my AR CS2 center and Insigna indoor/outdoor speakers in favor of a 340SE center and a pair of HTM-200SE surrounds...how much better will my system be? :eek:

Now back to the question from my other post: Should I bi-amp my mains? The Onkyo 805 can use it's rear surround amplifier to bi-amp a set of mains. I know this is considered passive bi-amping and is different than bi-wiring...but should I do it? Will I see any improvement? I will not be using these channels for anything else so I can't see a reason to not do it unless it could harm something or make the sound worse.

debo
11-29-2007, 05:29 AM
Welcome aboard, I believe the changing of your center and surrounds will be the same effect as what you just experienced by changing your mains, the center channel would be a must for me. I don't believe you will find any benefit with bi-amping...I didn't.
Enjoy!

Grasschopper
11-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Yea I am not sure about the bi-amping...but I just ordered 2x the speaker wire I actually need if I don't either bi-wire or bi-amp. LOL My main issue with it is that while the Onkyo manual says to use the mains terminals for the tweeters and the surr back terminals for the woofers it doesn't say anything about weather or not it is applying a crossover and at what frequency it is doing so (if it is in fact doing so).

My thought is that since you normally run both terminals on the speaker through full range (either bridged or bi-wired) that you should send full range to each of the terminals if bi-amping. Really I just don't want to damage either my very nice Onkyo or my very nice 340SEs. LOL But if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of my system...then by all means I want to do that too.

P Seastrand
11-29-2007, 07:11 AM
I believe Dave addressed this some time ago, you might want to search. As I recall, his response was that the 340's can be bi-wired, but not bi-amped.

Grasschopper
11-29-2007, 07:24 AM
If you read my other thread you will see I did find a discussion where Dave talked about this a bit. From what I read he seemed to indicate that passively bi-amping, that is bi-amping the speakers with no external crossover applied, would be ok but to defeat the internal crossover (I assume you would have to remove it) and actively bi-amp, external crossover, would reduce the sound quality because of the circuitry that the internal crossover has on board.

But he didn't really say one way or the other that it was or wasn't a good plan.

If both amps are sending full range signals I don't see how it is different that bi-wiring the speaker other than the fact that I would have additional amplifier power. But maybe I am wrong...I guess that is what I am looking for...is my above statement correct?

P Seastrand
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
If both amps are sending full range signals I don't see how it is different that bi-wiring the speaker other than the fact that I would have additional amplifier power. But maybe I am wrong...I guess that is what I am looking for...is my above statement correct?

I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess that this would be useful only if your amplifier was underpowered. Especially if your running with a powered subwoofer, bi-amping seems to be way overkill. On the other hand, if you have it available, why not? :)

Grasschopper
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Well I did some more reading on the subject over on AVSforum.com and from what I read there is little to no benefit. My receiver is 135 wpc (THX Ultra2 certified) so I am not under powered by any means.

I guess I have plenty of speaker wire coming. LOL Man I have thrown a bunch of money away on this swap. :(

qqkltb
11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey Grasschopper there is an Ascends SE Center for sale on Ebay right now.

Grasschopper
11-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks but I already have the 340SE center on order from Ascend...the issue I now have is that without modification to my TV stand it wont work.