View Full Version : What is the difference between Bi-Wire and Bi-Amp?

Grasschopper
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Ok so I am getting the 340SEs for LCR in my HT. I just got an Onkyo TX-SR805 which is capable of bi-amping the mains if not running a 7.1 system. Since I am running 5.1 and because I saw that the speakers had dual binding posts I assumed they could be bi-amped but in reading the specifications it says they can be bi-wired. I must admit I am ignorant to the difference here but I am guessing bi-wiring is simply running 2 sets of speaker wires to the speaker from the amp. Or am I wrong there and bi-wiring is synonymous with bi-amping? Or am I right but the 340SEs can actually be by-amped?

What will the best solution be here for me? I assume bi-amping my mains is something I would want to do if possible (especially since I will not be using those amp channels for anything else at the moment)?

Thanks for any help.

Grasschopper
11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
:D Ok someone had to post it. LOL

So I have done some reading having done a search:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=745&highlight=bi-amp

So in answers to your questions lol:

No bi-wiring and bi-amping are different
Yes you could passivly bi-amp your 340SEs in the manner you are thinking of

So to me 3 and 4 are still up in the air. My Onkyo 805 will do passive bi-amping...but should I do it? Just for reference the Onkyo 805 will do 130 wpc into 8 ohms...doesn't say weather that is RMS or Max.