PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Sierra-1 w/Hsu VTF3 Mk3?

Tushar
11-12-2007, 04:09 PM
All,

I've never owned a sub and am trying to get my music/HT system together this Christmas.

I've got 3x Sierra-1's and 2x 170SE's on order after lots of Q&A w/ DaveF.

Anyone heard Sierra-1 w/Hsu VTF3 Mk3 for HT w/o turbo and w/o plugging ports?

Looking for feedback, comments re: HT. Thanks!

P Seastrand
11-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I have the VTF3 MK2 together with my 340SE fronts and 170SE backs and love it! This was puchased back when Dave was also selling the HSU subs. It matches very well with the Ascends and really gives the low end some punch on movies. My understanding is the MK3 is an improvement, but should sound similar. Hope this helps.

Mike^S
11-12-2007, 09:05 PM
The VTF-3 MK3 is a very good sub, but one other sub I would consider, is the Epik Valor. It's a 15 inch sealed subwoofer.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/ValorOverview.html

Tushar
11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for reply. I'm actually looking for feedback from someone w/this specific config.

I am buying Sierra-1 (output >40Hz) to replace almost-floorstanders that have appreciable output down to ~40Hz. I have listened to setups with medium Velodynes and-- for impact tremors, depth charges, machine-guns, or Balrogs, my last speakers did not communicate the range of low frequency available on soundtrack that I want.

I am trying to decide whether to get the Turbo version for >20Hz at same output levels or for HT whether VTF3 Mk3 is good enough. My room is large (>5500 cuft) and I am aware of other vendors offerings.

curtis
11-12-2007, 11:36 PM
I use the VTF-3MK3 with my Sierras and cross them at 60hz.

I also have the turbo, but after a lot of testing, I found that in my room, I like the sound quality better with both ports open and no turbo. For HT, I don't feel like I am missing anything without the turbo....although with it, I was getting strong output at 16hz....without it I have not check because it isn't as important to me as sound quality in the upper bass areas.

I have actually re-arranged the sub location a bit in the last couple of months, and I should try it with the turbo.

My room is half the size of yours.