PDA

View Full Version : Looking for small amp for bedroom setup

mattopia
11-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi all!!

I have a pair of CBM-170 SE's that was originally destined for my rear surrounds. I haven't figured out a mounting solution, so I've been using them as part of a small bedroom rig instead.

I was powering them with a Sonos ZP-100. This setup worked and sounded great, but ultimately I decided the $1,000 I paid for the Sonos package was a bit too pricey and I returned it all. Now I have a beautiful set of CBM-170SE's sitting in my bedroom not hooked up. :(

I miss having tunes in the bedroom, and I'd like to hook the speakers up to either my Roku SoundBridge, or to an Airport Express. The problem is the Sonos had a built-in amp, and neither the Roku or Airport Express are amplified.

So... I need to find a small amplifier to power the CBM-170's. Something that offers good, clean sound. I only need one non-switchable input. I'd prefer something that has an auto-sense for turning itself on when the source is active (like most subs have), as I'd like to pretty much hide the amp and never have to touch it.

I'm hoping for suggestions from the rest of the community! I do have a spare receiver, but space in the bedroom is limited and a full-blown receiver is overkill and a bit too bulky.

Thanks everyone!

Mitch G
11-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Although it doesn't offer auto-on capabilities, I have a T-Amp that takes input from a Squeezebox and drives some outdoor speakers.
It's a tiny amp and does a fine job. It looks like the one I have has been discontinued and replaced by the Gen 2 T-Amp that includes an AC power supply. (I had to get one separately.)
They also have a "higher" end model, Super T-Amp.
You can search for T-amp here: http://www.partsexpress.com

Mitch

mattopia
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM
T-Amp that takes input from a Squeezebox and drives some outdoor speakers.
It's a tiny amp and does a fine job. It looks like the one I have has been discontinued and replaced by the Gen 2 T-Amp that includes an AC power supply. (I had to get one separately.)
They also have a "higher" end model, Super T-Amp.
You can search for T-amp here: http://www.partsexpress.com

Great suggestion! Looks like it will fit the bill perfectly.

I'm also glad you edited to note Parts Express. Just placed an order for one (with an appropriate cable) from there. Not only are they about $20 cheaper than the manufacturers site, but they always get my stuff here in 1 day with ground shipping, since their warehouse is pretty close to me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Matt

cool_runner
11-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I have been using the 1st gen t-amp with the CBM-170SE's for some time now as part of a desktop setup, and it is a very capable amp.

If you are looking to spend more then you should also consider the Trends TA-10 (http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/TA-10_desc.htm). I have read good things about it also.

mattopia
11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I received my T-Amp version 2 yesterday, hooked it up, and it's... not bad. Definitely worth the price I paid, but there are a few problems I need to address...

* Lots of AC buzz being picked up from nearby incandescent light on a dimmer. With lights off, no buzz. Perhaps replacing the DC adaptor will solve this. (Given the shape of the included adapter, I imagine it's switched and not linear? Didn't look...)

* Fair amount of hiss, even with no source or cable plugged in, at moderate volume.

* Definitely not giving the 170's the full range they're capable of producing. Very weak low-end and anything in the higher mids and up sounds... mushy? The Sonos ZP100 I previously fed them with, which I understand uses a similar chip, was more dynamic.

There's a lot of tweaks and enhancements documentation out there, I just have to decide if the tweaks are going to be worth it.

curtis
11-07-2007, 10:21 AM
A little off topic...

I currently use Sonos.....a ZP80 connected digitally to my pre/pro, and of course the slick Sonos remote.

I want to get a ZP100 to use with either CBM-170SE's or the new HTM-200SE in another room. I am glad to see that the ZP100 works well with the 170's.

mattopia
11-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Yep - The ZP100 and the 170SE's are a very nice pair. Sounded very nice when fed with apple lossless. I found the Sonos system very impressive overall -- very well integrated, but ultimately decided that $1,000 was just a bit too steep.

Also, the remote always seemed a bit on the bulky side to me...

curtis
11-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Yep - The ZP100 and the 170SE's are a very nice pair. Sounded very nice when fed with apple lossless. I found the Sonos system very impressive overall -- very well integrated, but ultimately decided that $1,000 was just a bit too steep.

Also, the remote always seemed a bit on the bulky side to me...
Oh yeah...the price is steep. I got a bit of a break from my local shop, and the ZP80 is a little cheaper since it has no amps.

While I am not sure the remote can be any smaller with what is inside and the size of the screen.....I actually wish it was a different color.

I feed mine FLAC....and it is so nice being able to make playlists on the fly, as well as not having to handle and load CDs. When I have friends over, I hand them the remote and say "play what you want".

Mitch G
11-07-2007, 08:15 PM
It might be worth exchanging it - it might just be a bad one.

Mitch

I received my T-Amp version 2 yesterday, hooked it up, and it's... not bad. Definitely worth the price I paid, but there are a few problems I need to address...

* Lots of AC buzz being picked up from nearby incandescent light on a dimmer. With lights off, no buzz. Perhaps replacing the DC adaptor will solve this. (Given the shape of the included adapter, I imagine it's switched and not linear? Didn't look...)

* Fair amount of hiss, even with no source or cable plugged in, at moderate volume.

* Definitely not giving the 170's the full range they're capable of producing. Very weak low-end and anything in the higher mids and up sounds... mushy? The Sonos ZP100 I previously fed them with, which I understand uses a similar chip, was more dynamic.

There's a lot of tweaks and enhancements documentation out there, I just have to decide if the tweaks are going to be worth it.