PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have their 170's in actual bookshelves?

azanon
02-09-2004, 12:41 AM
I believe there were some general guidelines for that type of placement in the included owner's manual. Beyond that, I dunno.

curtis
02-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Are the bookshelves enclosed in the back?

You need enough breathing room behind the speaker, and you want the front of the speaker at least flush with the front of the bookshelf....even extend it out if you can.

-curtis

pegleg
02-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Mine are on top of the bookshelves (aka "entertainment unit"). I'll have to post a photo, but Dave F. said to put them upside-down, and they sound fantastic!

I think there has been some discussion in bookcases, and that it wouldn't really ruin the sound.

Pegleg

Paul_Fisher
02-09-2004, 05:52 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Are the bookshelves enclosed in the back?

You need enough breathing room behind the speaker, and you want the front of the speaker at least flush with the front of the bookshelf....even extend it out if you can.

-curtis
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes Curtis, the shelves are closed off in the back. I'm not sure how much room there will be between the back of the speaker and the shelf, possibly 10-12 inches? Do I need to put some sort of sticky tack on the bottom of the speaker to prevent resonance throughout the shelf unit?

nhan070
02-13-2004, 12:57 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by pegleg

Mine are on top of the bookshelves (aka "entertainment unit"). I'll have to post a photo, but Dave F. said to put them upside-down, and they sound fantastic!

I think there has been some discussion in bookcases, and that it wouldn't really ruin the sound.

Pegleg
Interesting. I have a similar setup... I'll have to give the inverting thing a try. Explains the reason for me hearing the highs more predominant when I stand up.

BTW, this would be a nice FAQ or tweaks for those with similar cases.

Paul_Fisher
02-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Pegleg, is there any rattling or anything by have the speakers directly on the entertainment unit?

curtis
02-13-2004, 03:26 AM
I have my surrounds, CBM-170's, that are mounted close to the ceiling, mounted upside down, and they sound great, but I have not tried them right side up.

Dependind on how solid your entertainment center is, place speakers on it or in it will make it vibrate/resonate. When I moved my speakers off of the bookshelves and on to the stands, the sound did noticeable clean up.

-curtis

pegleg
02-13-2004, 03:28 AM
Paul,
No rattling at all. Dave also said to NOT use the felt strip if I was placing them upside-down.

The entertainment unit is, however, bolted to the studs in the wall. It's wood (veneer on plywood, I think) and was custom built.

Pegleg

bholio
02-22-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm shopping for 5.1 speakers now. My front 3 speakers will have to be placed in bookshelves.

I have a front projection system with shelves to the right, left and above the screen. The left and right shelves are 12" deep, while the shelf for the center is only 7" deep becuase the pull-down screen is mounted behind it. I was thinking about the 170's/340center. I think I could probably extend the shelf depth in the center up to maybe 11" and still have the shelf look normal.

Is it worthwhile to consider the 170s/340 in this size shelf? Or should I look for an alternative at this point?

How much of a step down would all htm200's be for all 3 fronts?

I'm also considering the Rocket ELT, but I don't like buying expensive stuff made in PRC.

-edit-
Room is 15'x13'. Was planning to go with the HTM200s in the rear regardless.

curtis
02-23-2004, 01:25 AM
I think the 170's would be fine....but the 340 may need more room. The ELT would have the same issues, they are also rear ported. Give Ascend a call to discuss.

The HTM may work out great for you, they are not ported. Dr. Hsu of Hsu Research actually loves the HTM-200 more than the CBM-170.

Just a thought, if any of you out there that have HTM-200's have access to a friend with ELTs, I would like to read a comparison.

-curtis

bholio
02-23-2004, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'd also like to see a comparison between the ELTs and 200's.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The ELT would have the same issues
Except the ELT's are about 4 inches smaller in depth. The center is only 6.5" deep, instead of 10.5. Sats are also under 7" deep.

curtis
02-23-2004, 04:16 AM
yup...you are right, I was not thinking of the speaker sizes. If that is the case, then ELT would probably suffer less from the lack of depth in the shelf.

Where are you located? Maybe we can find you an audition for both.

-curtis