PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sierra with a thin sound...

btbluesky
10-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I just received my new natural Sierra 1 today (thanks Dave for the superfast shipping).

And been testing it for 2 hours. I'm a total newbie on high fidelity setup (recent 20 something grad poor college student). I have alot of FLAC and MP3, and the setup I have is a Linux FLAC --> Trends Audio USB UD-10.1 DAC/transport (16/48) --> (24k plate 3.5 minijack to RCA) --> 17 years old Bryston 17 yrs old 2b LP(very good condition) thats 50w @ 8 ohm --> (16 AGW Monster, will switch to 12 AWG Dayton soon) --> Sierra 1

NOW, as a low budget setup, with Sierra being the big boy here, of course there are alot of upgrade before it sounds good, but I figure with this, it should be decent for awhile.

And as I'm testing it, the sound comes out to me abit "thin". There are lots of detail, super nice high, but when there are complex segment, it sounds just...thin. I only use it in low volume in small room, that's why I didn't opt for a higher power amp (plus that was before I decided on Sierra), but comparing to a setup I auditioned (musical fidelity 100w + Dynaudio 52SE), it just sounds way too thin.

I believe it's no fault on Sierra. There are at least 3 things I'm trying to decide to fix this ASAP and I would REALLY APPRECIATE anyone with knowledge to help me out:

1. The Trends Audio, running off USB 5v, using a 16/48 DAC chip, outputting to 3.5 jack is the cause.
2. The Bryston Amp is not powerful enough, even though its said to be very underrated
3. Sierra not burn-in yet?!

Anyone have any idea?

GirgleMirt
10-17-2007, 06:47 AM
I couldn't say about your equipment, but how does your room look? How, where are the Sierras located?

btbluesky
10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
My room is about 12x9. with Sierra sit on the 12 feet side of wall, 6 feet apart, 0.5 feets from wall and listen 4 feets from speakers. There are no clipping of anything like that, just the sound is lacking in depth and smoothness, and its very, very obvious even to my untrained ears. I left running the dac+amp+speaker right now in low volume when I'm at work and see if things get better. And will replace the speaker wire ASAP. These are the 2 things I can do for now.

I think I'll get a stello DA100, just so that I get a proper RCA line out (btw, what is the voltage range for a proper line out). Also it's a 24/192 DAC w/ non-upsampling switch.

Still, with a hungry speaker like Sierra, I might just need something at 100w range. I'm thinking of Jolida JD 1501a, integrated tube-preamp w/ SS amp. Got alot of great reviews, and the price is really attractive. Then there is the parasound A23. Maybe Rotel new 100w class-D??

Mike^S
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
It sounds like you are sitting in the middle of the room. This is usually a bad spot for bass. You also seem to be fairly close to the speakers. 4 feet? Are these being used for computer speakers? I wouldn't call the Sierras thin or bright at all, but they really aren't a warm speaker either. The midrange is tight and detailed as opposed to thick and warm.

davef
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi btbluesky,

Before going out and spending any money on speaker cables or various upgrades, I would strongly recommend trying to listen to a CD. The Sierra's are truly high resolution speakers, there are too many variables here with using a PC as your source. These speakers will reveal all the good and the bad.

Step 1, listen to the speakers with a good analog source (CD) and report back.

Take care!

btbluesky
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Dave,
Thank you for your suggestion. And I can't remember the last time I bought anything that had the owner/designer answered my question. I'll try and borrow a decend CD player as source.

Today I tried some B&W reference CD encoded FLAC with much better sound. And place the speakers further. And WOW, the image is awesome. The Dynaudio 52se did not have that much clear image (but it did have the thickness and depth when I audition, but then its upstream was like 4k worth of equips). I can "see" the instruments placement. And Allan Taylor was right in front of me.

Thank you David again for this great speakers. I'm enjoying it immensely already.
Bryan

davef
10-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Today I tried some B&W reference CD encoded FLAC with much better sound. And place the speakers further. And WOW, the image is awesome. The Dynaudio 52se did not have that much clear image (but it did have the thickness and depth when I audition, but then its upstream was like 4k worth of equips). I can "see" the instruments placement. And Allan Taylor was right in front of me.

Hi Bryan,

Excellent -- I am pleased things are improving for you. The Dyn's are going to present a warmer sound, this is their "trademark" sound. Ascend products are designed for very little color, being true to the source material, but the Sierra should not sound thin --- just not warm.

Placement and source material are extremely important. I am not a fan of using a PC as a source, often the digital signal is resampled multiple times which causes many problems. There are ways around this though and some of our forum members are experts in this area. Use our community as resource, there is much knowledge here :D

Enjoy!!