PDA

View Full Version : Surround choice for Sierras?

ccotenj
08-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Have decided to go with 3 Sierras across the front.

I'd really prefer to go with 2 for surrounds as well, but I have no choice but to mount the surrounds on the wall.

How compatible is the timbre of the 170's with the Sierra's? Anyone have this particular setup?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike^S
08-20-2007, 10:39 AM
170s would be just fine. They do have a similar timbre to the Sierras. Curtis has a 7.1 setup like this.

curtis
08-20-2007, 10:42 AM
170s would be just fine. They do have a similar timbre to the Sierras. Curtis has a 7.1 setup like this.
You rang? :)

Yes...the 170SE's work fine as surrounds. I also heard 200's as surrounds at mziegler's, and those sound great too.

ccotenj
08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
i may go with the 200's then, based on size alone... i don't have a lot of room for them, unfortunately...

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Has anyone here ever compared the difference in having Sierras all around vs Sierras for L/C/R and 170's for surrounds? Will the difference be worth the price difference? I'm deciding which one to use for surrounds.

Thx.

Blake

Sam1000
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Has anyone here ever compared the difference in having Sierras all around vs Sierras for L/C/R and 170's for surrounds? Will the difference be worth the price difference? I'm deciding which one to use for surrounds.

Thx.

Blake

Do you listen to multi channel SACD or DVD-A? In that case, I would think that the difference is worth it for sure. Most of us have space constraints with surrounds :( and budget :D , otherwise, I would have gone for the ideal setup i.e. identical speakers everywhere...

curtis
08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with Sam.

I currently have Sierras up front, and 170SE's as surrounds, it sounds great.

I would like to have Sierras for surrounds, but how to mount is the issue.

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Thx Sam/Curtis....since the surrounds will be sitting on stands, I don't see any problems with mounting issues. I currently don't listen to any SACD or DVD-A recordings. Mostly, they're for HT applications. When I do listen to music, I prefer 2 channel vs the addition of the center. But I guess I'll have to listen to a good recording in a multi-channel setup to know what I really prefer. Once I have a 5 channel Sierra setup, I'll let everyone know my impressions. :p

Thx!!

Blake

curtis
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
I listen to mostly 2-channel as well, but a good DVD-A/SACD is much more than just "the addition of the center". It is great if you have a well recorded/engineered DVDA or SACD, and have time to sit in the sweet spot.

ccotenj
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
i ordered htm200's with mine, strictly a size/placement issue...

we'll see how it works out (everything shipped today :D )... i do listen to some multi-channel sacd/dvd-a (although primarily 2 channel)... ideally i wanted sierra's all around, but there's simply no place to put them... even 170's would have been a real problem...

Gov
08-22-2007, 06:53 PM
i ordered htm200's with mine, strictly a size/placement issue...

we'll see how it works out (everything shipped today :D )... i do listen to some multi-channel sacd/dvd-a (although primarily 2 channel)... ideally i wanted sierra's all around, but there's simply no place to put them... even 170's would have been a real problem...

You will be suprised at how well the 200's do in surround duty even for multi-channel stereo material.

ccotenj
08-22-2007, 07:08 PM
i'm not expecting to be disappointed... :)

sometimes, you just gotta deal with what you can do... short of blasting out the walls in my tv/listening room (which i have considered :eek: ), there's really not a lot of options...

muzz
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I have 170's for SS, and they are alot bigger than folks think.

Blake1214
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM
During my wait for Dave to get back to me regarding the Sierra surrounds, please give some feedback if they'll work better in a 5.1 setup or using a pair of dipoles. (Keeping in mind I mainly use it for HT). Since my association does not allow us to mount speakers to the walls, a 7.1 channel is out of the picture for now.=(

curtis
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
During my wait for Dave to get back to me regarding the Sierra surrounds....
You should email Dave directly.

As for surrounds, I am a proponent of directs as opposed to dipoles/bipoles. DVD soundtracks are engineered with direct radiating speakers.

Blake1214
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Yup, I emailed him directly. I'm sure he's swamped and to be honest, I'm not in THAT much of a hurry. I might give him a call directly if I'm getting too close to the 45 days upgrade period.

I was just under the impression that bipoles/bipoles was more capable of immersing you into the movie with a 5.1 setup. But when going 7.1, they no longer come into play. I guess it's also having heard the Kef 3005 and the surrounds sounded very direct. But they were satellites so that might have been the reason. I will take your suggestion and stick with the Sierras for surrounds.

muzz
08-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I never really felt that dipoles "Immersed" you into the movie, I actually feel the opposite..

If the sound is coming from behind me on the right, I wanna hear it THERE, not bouncing off the walls, and getting there late from who knows where.

IOW, I'm a proponent of direct radiating speakers........

JMO

ccotenj
09-01-2007, 02:19 PM
they are here...
they are connected...
they aren't calibrated yet.... fronts are actually sitting on coffee tables (and the center on a stand that is too short)... 200's are on top of the cd rack and a tall bookshelf...

i'm listening to "bolero" (sacd - jarvi) right now, and even uncalibrated, they throw a nice soundstage...

watched the beginning of "master and commander", just to make sure i had everything set up right, and they were more than quick enough to keep up with the opening battle sequence... going to fire up "saving private ryan" with the dts track later (or tomorrow) and see what that gives me...

not really going to mess with them much (other than to set the distances) until the stands get here (putzing with the spl meter once is enough, thank you)... i'll run mcacc and see what it does, but that's about the extent of it... i can do a more in depth comparison once i get them set up right, but initial impressions are that everyone's comments about these are pretty much right on (especially vis a vis the 805s)...

they aren't going back.... :D

fwiw, player is a pio elite 59avi feeding a pio elite 82tsx... i didn't even bother hooking up my amp yet... and may not...

more to come... gotta do some playing....

ccotenj
09-02-2007, 07:49 AM
just listened to "night at the opera" on dvd-a...

very nice... the 200's mate quite well with the sierra's... again, no calibration yet, so it was a bit unbalanced, but i think that i'll be happy with the 200's as surrounds...

fwiw, here's another vote for direct over dipoles...

muzz
09-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Enjoy them cc... I know I do!!:D

ccotenj
09-02-2007, 06:37 PM
yea, muzz, i'm liking them... i'm very happy that i decided to give them a shot....

they even sound good on the nascar race i'm watching right now... :D

curtis
09-02-2007, 06:39 PM
they even sound good on the nascar race i'm watching right now... :D
That's how I felt when my kids watched SpongeBob the first time with them. :D

ccotenj
09-02-2007, 06:51 PM
lol... :D hey, they gotta do sports duty in my house too... none of this, "only music and movies routine" here... :p

ccotenj
09-03-2007, 08:07 AM
listening to some sinatra now... letting the pio do the prologic ii magic... sounds like frank is standing in the middle of my room... :D

i think i've got my distances set pretty good now, still need to do leveling... fwiw, i'm crossing over at 80... that seems to a good number...

another fwiw... using the various dsp's is where it would be really nice to have the sierra's as surrounds (although the 200's don't suck)... i wish i could figure out a way to be able to mount them close to the wall... i wonder if since i'm crossing them over and using the sub if i could get away with it without getting port booming?

debo
09-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Have you tried crossing them over at 60? You may like them even more!

ccotenj
09-04-2007, 05:25 AM
i'll probably give it a shot and see... my sub does a pretty decent job of things though... for example, i had my 802's crossed over at 80 as well...

but it never hurts to play! :D that's half the fun...

rogerm
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Everyone, I just ordered some stands from Jason, which means I will have an empty pair of Lovan Affiniti stands to place speakers on. My thought is to move my Ushers into my computer room and go with Ascends all the way around. I now have Sierras L/C/R. I gather from other posts that either the 170 SE or the 200 speakers would work. Is one a better choice than the other for matching with the Sierra's?
Thanks in advance.