PDA

View Full Version : Is a subwoofer needed...

jvillas
08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi, I'd like to know if a subwoofer is needed for all HT set-ups?
From what I understand unless you have the most monster floorstanding loudspeaker capable of tremendous low end output, then a subwoofer would be a necessity.

curtis
08-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I definitely think a subwoofer is needed for HT setups.

BradJudy
08-16-2007, 05:38 PM
A subwoofer adds a lot to the HT experience. Depending on the movies and your speakers, it can add more than having surround speakers. I.e. a 3.1 setup can sound better than a 5.0 setup.

Of course, if you mainly watch drama/comedy/non-action movies, then a subwoofer is less important.

jvillas
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
BradJudy, would you say a good 3.1 set-up would be a good initial starting point?

buddhadas
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not Bradjudy, but I would say yes. In my experience, some movies have alot of surround content and others not so much. But a good set of speakers across the front with a good sub will definitely put a smile on your face.

Peace,

Jim

ThomasC
08-17-2007, 04:24 AM
I'm not Bradjudy, but I would say yes. In my experience, some movies have alot of surround content and others not so much. But a good set of speakers across the front with a good sub will definitely put a smile on your face.

Peace,

Jim
I agree.

jvillas
08-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys for your responses,very much appreciated.

SteveCallas
08-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Running a 3.1 system mans you will always have dynamic range compression activated when watching any DD 5.1 source, and you will have no way to disable it. Dynamic range compression will attenuate the highs and lows pretty badly (up to a 12db reduction in the LFE channel has been measured), so either use some cheapo speakers for surrounds or at least trick your processor by telling it you do have surrounds hooked up.

Mike^S
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Are you sure about that Steve? Is that with all receivers? I'm using a Denon2805 with a 3.1 setup and it doesn't sound like I'm getting any dynamic range compression.

BTW, if you tell your receiver that you have surrounds but don't, you will obviously not hear ANY of the surround content.