PDA

View Full Version : Is your Sierra-1 your first Ascend Acoustics Purchase?

jvillas
08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
For those who have purchased the Sierras, and this being there first Ascend Acoustics buy. I would like to know what loudspeakers the Sierras replaced,and what factor(s) helped your decision. :)

Mitch G
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
The Sierras were my first Ascend purchase.

They replaced Paradigm Atoms for my mains.

Reasons for purchase (in no particular order):
- I liked how Ascend announced the speaker when it was available and didn't overhang the market by announcing the speaker weeks/months/years before one could buy it. To me that says, "integrity."
- I liked Dave's write-ups about the speakers features and capabilities. Reading between the lines I was able to see that he was speaking facts and not just marketing spew.
- I liked the looks of the naturals.
- The price was right.

Mitch

enoch
08-17-2007, 01:11 PM
This is also my first purchase from Ascend. I replaced NHT Classic 3's and a 3C. I wanted the option of an in home trial period, and based on user reviews of the Sierra's and owner satisfaction, I chose to try out the Sierras. I was thinking about the piano black, but the most important factor I went with the natural was that my wife liked them better;). So far, I'm very pleased with the way they perform. I've used them excusively for music (stereo and multichannel) and some TV. I hope to try them in HT useage this weekend.

Mag_Neato
08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I replaced a pair of classic 170's with the Sierra-1's.

muzz
08-19-2007, 07:34 AM
I replaced a 170SE/340SEC LRC setup(<<my 1st Ascends) with Sierra LCR.:D

170's are now pulling SS duty.

tank418
08-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I have the classics 340's up front which I bought about 6 years old I just upgraded my cbm-170's to the 170's SE. On tuesday I will be buying the Sierra-1 L/C/R in Piano Black and I can't wait !!!!!! bought some new stands made by www.lovanusa.com called the Affiniti II in piano black .

ccotenj
08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
yes, my first purchase.

they are replacing b&w matrix 802s3's. technically, not "replacing", as i needed to downsize a bit (the matrix's were a little overwhelming in my room)... i wanted to go to monitors, and was going to purchase a pair of b&w 805s...

reasons for purchase include:
- audioholics review got my attention in a big way.
- when i reviewed this website, it's obvious the passion that dave brings to the table. not to mention the passion of the owners of existing models of his speakers
- no gamble, if i don't like them, i send them back
- i like the idea of the bamboo. silly, i know, but the renewable resource idea resonates with me.

i in no way expect them to be what the 805s are (imo, the best monitor there is), but if they are 80% of what the 805s is (for 40% of the price), then i'll be a happy boy... :D

curtis
08-20-2007, 05:30 PM
i in no way expect them to be what the 805s are (imo, the best monitor there is), but if they are 80% of what the 805s is (for 40% of the price), then i'll be a happy boy... :D
It will interesting to find out what you think. I did a comparison of the 805S and Sierra side by side....they are very different.

Mike^S
08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I started with Classic 170s, then sold those and upgraded to 340SE. I lost those in an apartment fire back in December along with a HSU VTF-3 MK2. Then I got the Sierras right when they came out.

ccotenj
08-20-2007, 06:58 PM
It will interesting to find out what you think. I did a comparison of the 805S and Sierra side by side....they are very different.

darn, i typed out a post and then lost it somewhere...

synopsis... i think i have an idea from the reviews and what people have said about them what the differences are going to be... but i'm going in with an open mind... you never know until your butt is in your recliner in your room... :) i'm not really sold on any one "sound signature" (as many seem to be, i.e. quotes like "i love/hate bright speakers")...

the question is, can i live happily with them? my guess is yes, but the worst thing that happens is that it costs me $60 some odd bucks to send them back... heck, i used to think that the greatest thing since sliced break was a pair of pioneer 3-ways stuffed in the back deck of a car... :eek:

muzz
08-20-2007, 07:24 PM

I guess Craig and his listening help feel the same way.... and it doesn't looked good for the folks that think more expensive= better sound.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11346720&postcount=3

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11360070&postcount=49

I think you may be pleasantly surprised ccotenj ...... saving THAT kinda cash is awesome!!

ccotenj
08-20-2007, 07:56 PM
i'm hoping i am... and the few comments there kinda reflect what i think i'm going to hear...

you ain't kidding on saving that kind of cash... the difference of 3 large ones (by the time you factor in the center and the stands) buys a LOT of other stuff... :D

muzz
08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
you ain't kidding on saving that kind of cash... the difference of 3 large ones (by the time you factor in the center and the stands) buys a LOT of other stuff... :D

Damn Straight it does!!!:D

ccotenj
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
like, for example, the hdmi/scalar upgrade to my avm30... :)

waiting patiently for my sierra's to arrive...

muzz
08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say " A new PJ, or P/P ", but declined that...

Sounds like I was fairly close!!:D

ccotenj
08-21-2007, 05:42 PM
it may yet end up being like that... i'm still not sold on the upgrade (taking the topic WAY off base here :) )...

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 10:19 AM
I just bought the Sierras L/C/R a couple of weeks ago and they are the first Ascend products I've owned. I was using JSD floorstanding (6 ft tall) for the front&reaer and Energy AC300 for the center. Decision for this move was mainly due to the rave reviews of Ascend products but most of all, Dave's dedication to this company. I personally will be more happy with a product that performs 90% with great customer support than one that is 100% but with very poor support when something goes wrong. Does this mean I'm saying the Sierras are inferior in performance to the others? Absolutely NOT!!!

For their size I believe they stand their own against many speakers priced several times their price. Are they the ABSOLUTE best? That's subjective and only you can decide. I highly recommend for you to use their in home trial offer. So far I've found them to be amazing for music. For home theatre, they can't envelope me like my JSDs. But c'mon, we are talking about a bookshelf comparing to a full range speaker standing at 6 ft tall. SQ wise, I believe the Sierras beats out the JSDs. I'm still working on tweaking the center channel to get the dialogue more precise. Dave has been extremely helpful and patient in helping with this. So I'm experiencing first hand what everyone commented regarding Ascend's dedication in making sure their customer is happy. Before, during, and after the sale. All this resulted not only in me keeping the Sierras, but will be placing order for Sierras for surrounds.

Blake