PDA

View Full Version : What is your Sierra1 set-up?

jvillas
08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm wondering how Sierra owners have there loudspeakers set-up for use. Are you set-up for HT or 2 Channel or both? Are you using a subwoofer or not or maybe sometimes? How much power are you pumpimg into your speakers? Any other stuff you'd like to share about your system would be great. Perhaps there is an improvement you would like to make to your system,or some longer term goal, as most set-ups are often a work in progress.

For the record I do not own the Sierras, I own a single pair of 170SEs in a 2.1 channel set-up.:)

ThomasC
08-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Right now, I have a pair of piano black Sierras hooked up to an Outlaw RR2150 (125wpc) with no subwoofer (I'm thinking about getting a SVS SB12-Plus), which is hooked up to a Pioneer DV588A DVD player. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Outlaw. A couple things bug me about it:

1) I have to turn off the tone control every time I turn it on, and I can't do it with the remote.
2) The finicky volume control.

A Panasonic SA-XR57 is on the way, and hopefully it has enough juice to handle the Sierras.

BradJudy
08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I have three Sierra's across the front of my HT (listen to more music than HT) backed with an ACI Titan XL sub and powered with older Outlaw gear (165W/ch).

Now that I have the Sierra's in the system, I'm curious what it would sound like with different electronics, particularly the preamp/amp. I've been thinking of bringing my integrated amp downstairs just to see.

jvillas
08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi

Thomas, that tone control would bug me too.
The finicky volume control could just simple cleaning, or could indicate a more serious problem.

BradJudy, how can you resist,get that integrated and hook it up. Then let us know how well you liked or disliked it.

ThomasC
08-12-2007, 05:47 PM
The finicky volume control could just simple cleaning, or could indicate a more serious problem.
Simple cleaning? Sorry, I should have been more clear. The issue I'm talking about relates to the increase or decrease in volume when using the volume control on the remote. It changes very fast, so you have to tap the buttons until you get it just right, instead of holding it down and letting the volume gradually change.

jvillas
08-12-2007, 06:06 PM
ThomasC, I now get what you mean. Thanks for the clarification.

curtis
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
I have the Sierras across the front.

The pre/pro is a Sherwood/Newcastle P-965. The amp for the L/R is ICEpower 1000ASP based. The center (and surrounds) are powered by an ATI 1505.

The sub is a Hsu VTF-3MK3 currently without the Turbo. Crossed to the Sierras at 60hz, to the surrounds(CBM-170SE's) at 80hz.

The setup is a combination of music/HT.

For music, most of the time I play FLAC files via a Sonos setup. If a disc is used, I have an Oppo 970 digitally connected to the pre/pro.

jvillas
08-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi curtis, How large is your listening environment, and how are you creating your Flac files? What software are you using?

curtis
08-12-2007, 06:40 PM
My room is 14 x 16...but the listening area is more like 12 x 14.

I use Exact Audio Copy to create the FLAC files.

jvillas
08-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi curtis your set-up no doubt is quite amazing. I will have to google some of your stuff to find out more. I have used EAC though not recently. I use DB Poweramp for ripping and converting. Spoon, the developer has raised his product level of performance and quality to the highest standards. There is a free and paid versions. I also convert to Flac.

teetopkram
08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Curtis - how does / would your set up sound for mult-channel music? Dave recommended the 170s as rear surrounds paired with Sierra LCR for MC music, but I thought I'd get another's thoughts as well.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

curtis
08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Curtis - how does / would your set up sound for mult-channel music? Dave recommended the 170s as rear surrounds paired with Sierra LCR for MC music, but I thought I'd get another's thoughts as well.

Mark...it sounds fine...they mesh very well. Of course I would like Sierras all the way around, but for me, it meant having to drill into the Sierras....and I can not see myself doing that. So to get Sierras all the way around, I would need a different mounting solution.

That said, I don't feel deprived of anything by using 170SE's for surrounds with MC music.

Mag_Neato
08-13-2007, 05:52 AM
I am running my natural finish Sierra's as the front L/R in a 5.1 setup, using an Onkyo TXSR-703 receiver. I have an older 600 series B&W center, Axiom QS-8's and a Rocket UFW-10 sub. My video display is a 32" Sharp Aquos.

JasonColeman
08-13-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm using natural Sierras in our office in a 2-ch no-sub setup with a Pio Elite 55txi and 45a combo. Still in the process of building matching stands and the hardware is expected to land this afternoon. Hope to have pics up by week's end.

J.

mattopia
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
I just received my new Ascend setup about a week ago and so far am quite happy. Was using some Boston Acostics hand-me-downs for L/R and some Polk separates for center channel and surrounds.

Now using Sierra's for L/C/R with 170SE's for rears. The rear channels are not yet hooked up due to space and mounting limitations in the room. All are powered with a Denon AVR-787 integrated.

I have a Polk sub that I've been very happy with in the past, but no room in the current listening room to set it up, so I am currently subless. I can say that the Sierra's are performing well in the low-end without the assistance of a sub -- and a much better job than my Boston towers did. I think it's completely sane to run without the assistance of a sub.

EDIT: Forgot to mention sources... Using a Roku SoundBridge to stream ALAC (Apple Lossless) CD rips (all stuff I own of course!) and for the HT side using a TiVo Series 3 for TV and Toshiba HD-A2 for DVD, HD-DVD, and the occasional CD. Also have PS2, Wii, and original XBox fed through receiver. The Xbox is not used for games -- solely used for Xbox Media Center.

merrymaid520
08-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I have 2 piano black sierras in a 5.1 configuration with the 340se center and classic 170's for surrounds. As soon as the finances line up, I will upgrade the 340se to the sierra center to match the front end(wedding in october:(.

For electronics:
Receiver(pre/pro) Yamaha rx-v1300
Amp - B&K ref. 200.3 for front 3 channels
Toshiba DVD-Audio/video player
Toshiba XA1 HD DVD
Xbox 360 for streaming mp3's
PS3 for blu-ray movies

Love the sierras! In 2 channel listening, they really fill the room with deep/accurate bass and sound very clean. I have a dedicated theater room downstairs with 6 170se's and a 340se center. I spent alot of time/money on sound deadening materials and making sure the rooms not too bright or too dull. I am eager to move the sierras down there for a brief demo in a room thats meant for sound not a living room area:) I would imagine listening to a 2 channel SACD or DVD-Audio disc would be bliss in there!

Take care,
Brandon

jvillas
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
WoW, I'm amazed at the variety of equipment eveyone is using to get there Sierras sing.This is very cool. If anyone cares to respond I would love to know the size of there actual listening space or viewing space:)

logicology
08-14-2007, 06:01 AM
3 natural Sierras across the front and (embarrasing) Boston Acoustics multimedia speakers for the rears. They are, of course, temporary. I'm shopping for some Sonance in-ceiling speakers for my surrounds to match up with the Sierras. My ceiling is vaulted at a pretty significant angle so the rears and surrounds would aim down at a pretty good angle. If my wife would let me, I would definitely by 2 more Sierras for the back. That would sound incredible.

I'm mainly music and some HT. Lots of TV also.

buddhadas
08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
My living room is beginning to look like an Ascend showroom. 3 340se's across the front, outside of each L&R speaker is a Sierra (natural) for 2 channel. 2 cbm170se's wall mounted for surrounds.
Ht is Denon 3805 being used as a pre/pro with a Mcintosh 2120 powering the fronts and a Mcintosh 2505 for the surrounds. cheapo Sony dvd/vhs player. TV is a Panasonic 32" LCD. Denon for the center channel, and a Hsu stf 3 for a sub.
2 channel is Mcintosh c26 pre amp and 2105 amp, with an Onkyo cd player.
My room is 16x25x8 feet, listening/viewing distance is 10 feet
My room sounds pretty good, but my next step is some room treatments, ahhhh the fun never ends!

Peace,

Jim

Quinn
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
For my 2 channel rig I have Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp and CDP.
For my HT rig Marantz 7200 with 170SE for surrounds and a Hsu VTF-2.