PDA

View Full Version : First Sierra-1 Pro-Review is up!

davef
08-07-2007, 02:34 PM
The first pro-review of our Sierra-1 has been published.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/ascend-acoustics-sierra-1

All in all -- a very nice review. I don't agree with the "bass accuracy" rating they gave the speaker, I find the bass of the Sierra-1 (both subjectively and objectively) extremely accurate but even with that, I think it is a positive review.

(many more reviews coming :) )

Matt34
08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Great review, wish I had room for a 2-ch setup, these would be at the top of my list.

TheSloth
08-07-2007, 03:24 PM
A friendly but pretty unimpressive review (the reviewing that is, not the speaker). I found the measurements to be a bit spurious - most audio publication in house measurements are a bit all over the place. I don't understand why publishers insist on performing acoustic measurements without the proper equipment, facilities or expertise to make them useful or relevant.

curtis
08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Very nice review. I think Audioholics works hard at being viewed as grounded....and that might get in the way of the review.

In the common bass range they both play, I like the Sierra over my VTF-3.3 at all but the louder levels. I thought the Sierra bass was cleaner, tighter, and accurate than a couple of more expensive bookshelf speakers I have heard recently.

davef
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
In regards to the bass accuracy, I think it is all a matter of the frame of reference from the individual reviewer. Objectively speaking, including response measurements, distortion and transient accuracy measurements -- within the dynamic range of the speaker, the bass is as accurate as anything I have previously measured. Still, Tom lists "bass response" as a plus for the speaker.

TheSloth
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
In regards to the bass accuracy, I think it is all a matter of the frame of reference from the individual reviewer. Objectively speaking, including response measurements, distortion and transient accuracy measurements -- within the dynamic range of the speaker, the bass is as accurate as anything I have previously measured. Still, Tom lists "bass response" as a plus for the speaker.

Do you think the volume was an issue there? I see that the measurements were taken at 95dB, which is extremely loud for a speaker of that size. It's also well above the 85-90dB norm - I wonder if this was indicative of his listening levels. Would this not affect the overall balance of the speaker?

muzz
08-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I think the Sierra did pretty well there, bass accuracy grade seemed a bit odd.

It seemed to me like they really liked them, and thats not surprising at all to me.. since I OWN them!!
Bahahahahaha

You folks sitting on the fence.... WTH are you waiting for!!!

GirgleMirt
08-07-2007, 06:19 PM

Not a bad review :)

Also I was just coming here to mention I also was very surprised to read 3/5 for bass accuracy! :confused:

I just checked quickly the Usher 520 (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/usher-audio-s-520-bookshelf-speaker-review/s-520-listening-tests-and-conclusion.html), and it had a 5/5 rating for bass accuracy.. :confused: :confused: :confused: Even the Hsu HB1 (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/hsu-research-hb-1-bookshelf-speaker-review/hsu-hb-1-listening-tests-and-conclusions.html) had 4/5...

The only real "problem" I had with the Sierra's was a bit too much bass. That sounds weird in a bookshelf speaker review, but the Sierra's had such a strong bass response that I occasionally noticed a bit too much hold over on some notes and the midrange seemed a tad ill defined.

It's possible (probable?) that it might have been a room issue? I guess it's all relative as said... The measurements really doesn't point to too much bass either...

I have a DIY 12 inch sealed sub which I use with the 340SE, and I'd still say the bass of the Sierra at least very good if not excellent. I'd say excellent for bookshelf, very good overall. Good is still good, but seems a bit harsh.

Jonnyozero3
08-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I was also surprised by the bass rating. I think his room has some ringing/mode issues (just like all rooms)...look at how uneven the bass response got in the chart at 3m...

All in all, a "nice" review, however. I look forward to reading more that are a bit more comprehensive.

Did you all see the X-mtm review? I only sped-read it, but....ouch.

logicology
08-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Actually the thing that bothered me the most was this line

Sight unseen, ear unheard, the Sierra's were being compared and debated against speakers many times their price.

I believe that should have read, "Sight unseen, sound unheard..." :) Who hears thier ears?

TheSloth
08-08-2007, 07:40 AM
I believe that should have read, "Sight unseen, sound unheard..." :) Who hears thier ears?

Unfortunately, most people with hearing loss.

Mike^S
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Maybe it was supposed to be "eye unseen, ear unheard..." :)

rogerm
08-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Less than 48 hours ago I was listening to my Usher S-520's, glancing out the window to see if the UPS guy was in the area yet. Finally, he arrived with my new Sierras. I unpacked them, admired the beautiful finish, placed them on their waiting stands and hooked 'em up. I was listening to Hiromi's "Spiral" on the Ushers, so I started it over with the Sierras. I sat amazed as the soundstage filled my listening area. Something the Ushers couldn't do. I could hear details that had been missing before. The imaging blew me away The bass right out of the box was startling and yes, at least three times I got on my knees and crawled under my entertainment center to see if the sub had been activated. Mr. Landry's review of the Usher's was one of the reasons I decided to buy them. The Ushers go to about 55 and he considered that deep. Sure the Ushers bass is accurate, there isn't that much of it for them to handle. I just don't think he expected that level of bass performance with the Sierras and wasn't sure what to say about it. It certainly hasn't "muddied" anything I've played. One last comment, he says the Ushers are half the size of the Sierras. The Ushers are 11.81H, 7.09W and 10.43D. Not much different in my mind. I love these Sierras and David you are not getting them back!!

Mag_Neato
08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Amen! I was listening to a CD yesterday with 4-5 tracks of Seal's "Crazy", all mixed differently. On one of the tracks there is a driving bass line. I was running the Sierra's in pure-audio mode, bypassing all dsp or tone controls, just the Sierra's fuul range. I had to check at least once that the sub was not on.

jvillas
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi, I own a pair of Usher S520s and a pair of 170SEs and found the bass output and response of the Ushers to be very very similar to the 170s. I listen to both pair almost daily with differences in the mid-range and treble and in other areas.The Ushers may not be half the size of the Sierras,they are half the cost.In my case less than that $300.00.

Not having heard the Sierras I cannot imagine the Ushers bass being anywhere near the Sierras.

I found the reviewers concluding remarks to be quite revealing. He seemed to have had certain expectations about what a bookshelf speaker should be capable of producing. Of course the Sierras blew that away.:)

curtis
08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I have heard the S520's next to 170SE's in a shop, and 340SE's at someones home.

The S520's are the first speaker that I felt could compete with the 170SE's in the same general price range....but I think still think the 170SE's bests them, although the S520 looks very nice.

On another occasions, I heard the S520's and the 170SE's on a Panny digital and deader room....the 170SE's sounded much better in that situation.