PDA

View Full Version : New HT Setup - Feedback Appreciated

shirefife
08-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm setting up a new HT in my basement. Below is a diagram of the layout, take a peek.

I need:

Fronts
Center
Sub
AV Receiver

I already own a couple of options for rear surround speakers but my main goal is to have a SEAMLESS front soundstage, top to bottom, at the best price possible. I'm not buying until October or so, so I have some time.

Thinking about the following setup:

Fronts: ASCEND CMT-340 SE (with matching stands)
Center: ASCEND CMT-340 SE C
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK 3 (~$500)
AV Receiver: Yamaha 659 (~$300)

Any better ideas out there? How does that sub match the Ascends? Would that Receiver drive it all well? Any better ones out there for the price?

Lemme know what you all think!

Thanks! :)

http://shire.smugmug.com/photos/179718587-O.gif

drewface
08-05-2007, 09:18 AM
the only thing you might want to consider is moving the surround side speakers back further. you generally want surround speakers either directly to the sides of the listening area or slightly behind. having them halfway between the seats and the screen wouldn't work well, i don't think. the green stars would be a good place for surround speakers, and if you really wanted surround rears (for a 7.1 setup), they should go a little further back and closer to the center

shirefife
08-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks DrewFace,

Yeah, those placements are just how the previous house owner set up the house. I agree, that my surrounds should be closer to the green stars and if 7.1 is to happen, they should go back near the pool table back wall.

Thanks for the info!

I'm real curious about some of those other questions in the original post... I'll check back and see what some of you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Jorge_Burrito
08-05-2007, 11:26 AM
HSU makes good tight subs and fit well with Ascend speakers. Most reasonable quality subs will fit with any set of speakers, the trick is you have to spend quite a bit of time finding the correct placement of the sub (and the speakers for that matter) and you have to calibrate properly, ideally using a calibration disk with a spl meter. My other suggestion is that you have a really large area to fill so you might want to go with a bigger sub.

I am not familiar with that receiver, so I don't really have any advice in that regard.

It looks like you will have an awesome area to hang out...congrats.

tank418
08-06-2007, 06:59 AM
WOW very nice set up

shirefife
08-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've done some research on subs but am still feeling a bit lost in regards to the size of my room vs. the size of the sub and also how the subs match the sounds of the Ascends.

Which Sub would be a better match for the example in my room above? Please take into consideration the price of the sub because price is truly a governing factor. I assume I'm making the right decision on focusing on a quality sub vs. getting better surrounds for now, because the thought has occured to me that maybe I should get a 5.1 170 setup instead of a 3.1 340 setup...

But for now, I'm still leaning towards:

Ascend 340 Mains
Ascend 340 Center
Ascend 340 Stands (pair)

+ one of these 3 subs:

SVS PB10-NSD Charcoal Black $429.00
HSU VTF-2 MK3 $499.00
SVS 25-31 PCi Subwoofer $549.00

Your thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

______

Edit:

I'm also wondering if I could get a single 340M Stand for the center channel, since I think I'm going to stick my AV Rack in the cubby hole area in the diagram above. Wondering if the center channel will mount well sideways as seen in this picture:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/images/products/speakers/fullview1.jpg

Do they sell singles, and if so, for how much?