PDA

View Full Version : Warning slippery Sierras!

Quinn
07-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Put some blu-tack between your stands and Sierras. The pads on my stands were fine with the rough texture of of the 170s not so with the Sierras. The kids knocked one off its' stand and smushed one corner on the tile floor. Another corner made a gouge in the drywall with no damage to the cabinet.

Mag_Neato
07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
They are a smooth speaker, aren't they!

curtis
07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I also noticed this.

I used the threaded insert before on the 340's to attach them to my custom stands, but on the Sierras, the insert is slightly different location, so I would need to drill another hole in my stands' mounting plate. The plate that comes with the Ascend stands allow for the difference since they use a slot.

I have felt on the top plate of the stands...and the Sierras move around pretty easily, so I got some sorbothane pads to use. I have not used them yet because the felt pads are hard to get off!!

ebh
07-30-2007, 03:02 PM
awesome that the bamboo cabinet is so hard that it damages everything but the speaker cabinet itself. too bad for the rest of your house, though.

curtis
07-30-2007, 03:41 PM
I want to know how the kids faired after Quinn found out. :)

Quinn
07-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I want to know how the kids faired after Quinn found out. :)

I saw it happen and they didn't really do much to cause it. I worded that poorly in my OP the tile smushed the corner of the Sierra. A different corner of the Sierra gouged the drywall.

curtis
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I saw it happen and they didn't really do much to cause it.
Are you saying that you did it and are trying to blame the kids? :D

How badly damaged is the corner?

metalaaron
07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
mmm, yeah, did you get that memo about putting the sierras on the tp-24s? ;)

that's too bad though :( probably better it was tile instead of toe. ;)

Quinn
07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
mmm, yeah, did you get that memo about putting the sierras on the tp-24s? ;)

I actually have the original stands Ascend sold before the 340 and tp24s existed. The Sierras are on those.

The kids were horsing around but did not hit the stand that hard.

Quinn
07-30-2007, 06:49 PM
How badly damaged is the corner?

Quarter inch in tops over an inch of area. I'm trying to decide about inquiring for a b stock cabinet or waiting 2 or 3 years so there is little risk of it happening again. The kids are 7 and 4.

qqkltb
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
I also noticed this.

I used the threaded insert before on the 340's to attach them to my custom stands, but on the Sierras, the insert is slightly different location, so I would need to drill another hole in my stands' mounting plate. The plate that comes with the Ascend stands allow for the difference since they use a slot.

I have felt on the top plate of the stands...and the Sierras move around pretty easily, so I got some sorbothane pads to use. I have not used them yet because the felt pads are hard to get off!!

F.Y.I NEVER NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER used sorbothane pads between your ascends speakers. These are the result I got when using sorbothane pads and It's not covered under Ascends warranty.

curtis
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
F.Y.I NEVER NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER used sorbothane pads between your ascends speakers. These are the result I got when using sorbothane pads and It's not covered under Ascends warranty.
I am not using pads....but the little 1/2" dots.

Also, since the finish on Sierra is not a veneer or wrap, it won't end up looking like your pictures.

Nevertheless....I will keep on eye on them. Thanks

Johnal
08-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Geeze! Why did this happen? I'm not familiar with sorbothane pads ... what causes this? I actually don't have anything really securing my sierra's that are sitting on my old 340 stands. I actually bought the playsand a while back too but never got around to filling them up... after this thread I think I will. Who knows...might improve the sound a tad too! =P

curtis
08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Geeze! Why did this happen? I'm not familiar with sorbothane pads ... what causes this? I actually don't have anything really securing my sierra's that are sitting on my old 340 stands. I actually bought the playsand a while back too but never got around to filling them up... after this thread I think I will. Who knows...might improve the sound a tad too! =P
Sorbothane pads contain a lot of moisture are not "sealed", almost like a permanantly wet sponge.

qqkltb
08-02-2007, 01:33 PM
The reason I used the sorbothane pads in the first place is because several members of this forum said they worked well. However I don't hold Dave and Ascend responsible, after all, people come here for advice and I truly believe that most people are genuine. Turns out that this just didn't work out, at least for me. You live and you learn. Now that we've seen what may happen when using sorbothane pads, I think Ascends should make it known not to use them.

davef
08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I would say that you are taking a chance using Sorbothane... As I have mentioned, we have had customers receive Sorbothane pads that do not leave residue... others have had bad experiences.

Additionally, qqkltb, as I offered -- we would repair everything for you at cost.

Another option might be to actually cut the PVC off the speakers and stands, let them dry and then simply paint them black. Since the damage is on the bottom of the speaker and the top of the stand, it won't be noticeable.

We do include isolation pads for use with the speakers and stands and these have been extensively tested and do work well.