PDA

View Full Version : Charity Raffle -- Please Read!!

davef
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Update 07/23

---- Raffle is now closed, huge thank you to everyone! ----

We will still be accepting donations until this Friday (07/27) but there are no more raffle tickets for sale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings from the Jersey Shore…

About 5 years ago, my family had their first experience with the most feared word in the English language, the dreaded “C”word – cancer… My beloved uncle, my mother’s brother, lost a long harsh battle with esophageal cancer. I witnessed this nightmare of a disease literally devour my uncle from the inside out while causing deep pain and suffering to all those that loved him. It scarred me for life…

Little did I know that this was only a taste of things to come…

Less than 1 year after my uncle’s passing, my father noticed a lump… (*lump* a seemingly benign word that has quickly become part of my everyday vocabulary, a word that once meant a small mound of dirt that I could play in or that special part of the gravy I would try to avoid on Thanksgiving dinner --- “Lump” a word that now frightens me to the core)

That lump turned out to be malignant and everything in my life instantly changed….

4 years later, as I sit in my father’s home feeling good that I had spent most of the day with him basically doing nothing but talking, I am coming to you, my friends, my associates, my extended family with a small request…

You see, my father’s first lump was just the beginning for him (for us). Since that initial cancer, he has been consistently diagnosed with a new unrelated cancer every year (unrelated, so the “experts” say). Luckily, for the majority of us, cancer is still considered quite rare, but for my father, cancer has become commonplace. A lump, a swelling, an irritation anywhere on his body and the entire “Wait of Fear” process starts all over again. You wait in fear after the first doctor’s visit – 2-3 week later a biopsy is performed and you just wait – you sit and wait for the results.. after another 2 weeks you then finally have the results (which in my father’s case, is always bad news) and you wait once again for the prognosis – you then wait for treatment to start – and then the entire process begins again when the next lump is found. This process itself becomes a cancer – eating at you, making all family members suffer. It is difficult to describe just how devastating this disease truly is.

Having finished yet another tumor removal surgery only a few weeks ago (a week long stay in the hospital), my dear father just found another “lump”. This time the “wait of fear” is not necessary; the doctor’s will be so kind and spare us, they immediately concluded that it is yet another recurrence…

1 week from now he begins 6 weeks of intensive chemotherapy and radiation, 3 years after his first experience with chemotherapy left him with neuropathy, permanently handicapping him… For 6 weeks (possibly longer) he will have to “eat” through a feeding tube coming out of the side of his stomach, he will be heavily doped up to keep the intense pain manageable and be unable to speak to me or any of his grandchildren (one of the few things left that brings him joy) They predict recovery from these procedures will take at least 1 full year. The alternative? There is none….

My dad has now been diagnosed with cancer 5 times in just under 4 years (possibly 6 as it is getting hard to keep track). Three of these cancers are different forms and in different parts of his body, completely unrelated, 2 of them are recurrences. Words like biopsy, oncologist, radiologist, chemotherapy, carcinoma and a host of others are now common words in my family… I have learned the hard way that doctors’ still know very little about cancer and they need our help, EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS!

So now I come to you, my extended family, to ask for your support.

Ascend Acoustics is now hosting a charity raffle with all proceeds going to Sloan-Kettering Cancer Research Center in New York (http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/44.cfm), with the hope that our children (both yours and mine) NEVER have to experience what my father’s kids are struggling through…

150 tickets at $35 each…

Updated 07/18/07 -- 25 more tickets added for a total of 175 tickets at $35 each. Fourth prize added, 1 pr CBM-170 SE (thank you Brad!)

First Prize = 1 pair Sierra-1 loudspeakers (your choice of finish)
Second Prize = 1 pair CMT-340 SE + Rocket X-Sub
Third Prize = 1 pair CBM-170 SE + Rocket X-Sub
Fourth Prize = 1 pair CBM-170 SE

(with very special thanks to my dearest friend Mark Schifter for donating the subwoofers – Mark, thank you for being there!!)

Winners will be announced once the goal is reached.

Thank you in advance for all of your support.

To my dad – Your strength, your courage – you are a true hero and an inspiration to all, and I thank you for deciding to stand up after so many devastating rounds to continue the fight. Most people would have thrown in the towel – Not You – NOT MY FATHER.. I promise, you WILL win this!

curtis
07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm in!

Hang tough Mr. Fabrikant!

Mike^S
07-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Me too! C'mon everybody! :)

mziegler
07-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Me three.

buddhadas
07-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Me four.

Dave, you have mail.

Jim

Dave G
07-06-2007, 04:34 AM
I'm in.

Good luck, Dave, to your father and the rest of your family.

Dave Gayer

smithb39
07-06-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm in, looks like your Dad is a fighter, I wish him the best.

Eddie Horton
07-06-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm in. Hang in there, Dave.

chas
07-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Count me in as well...

I lost both of my parents to cancer (mom at only 58, dad at only 68). I'm happy to support this cause...and my thoughts will be with you and your father - he beat it before and he can beat it again!

Mag_Neato
07-06-2007, 05:46 AM
My prayers are with you Dave. He sounds like a fighter and will beat this.

picasso
07-06-2007, 05:48 AM
That f***ing disease has taken a brother and my dad. Currently, two cousins (52 & 55 years old) are battling and my personal secretary doesn't look like she's going to be a survivor at 57 years old. She's lost 40 pounds in five weeks.

Cancer seems rampant in the northeast.

I'm in.

God bless you and your dad.

debo
07-06-2007, 05:49 AM
All the best to DAD

drewface
07-06-2007, 06:20 AM
i'm in, too. sent my payment last night.

jvillas
07-06-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm in too, payment sent

ebh
07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
all the best to your family dave. both my wife and i have lost close family members due to the awful disease. donation sent.

JohnnyCasaba
07-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm in too, funds will be sent shortly. As someone who lost a parent to cancer, your family will be in my prayers.

jcookson
07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm in. Best of luck to your family.

Sam1000
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm in for one. Will do paypal now.

bdfin
07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm in. Good luck to you and you family Dave.

muzz
07-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm in- Sent
Best Wishes for success, and a fast recovery.

blindcat7
07-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm in.

Lost my grandmother to the disease this past Thanksgiving and have had several other family members lost to it and some that have beat it as well. As others have said, it is clear that your dad is a fighter. We are all behind you and your family, positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Regards,

Chris

marksanctuary
07-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Money sent. Your in my prayers, God bless your family!

craigsub
07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
David ... My wife and I are in for 10 tickets. Our prayers are with your family.

Brian
07-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Sent. Best of luck, Dave

venomxtf
07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
As soon as I finished reading the last word of your post Dave, I sent in my donation. I hope the best for your father!

Jonnyozero3
07-07-2007, 04:20 AM
My thoughts are with you, your father, and your family.

I'm in as well.

vankergr
07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Sent, my grandma's in the same situation, so I can relate. Not fun.

opolione
07-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm in as well, I wish your Dad a speedy recovery.

delling001
07-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm in too. Thank you Dave for reminding me what is truly most important in this life...... relationship(s).

ThomasC
07-07-2007, 07:17 PM
In for two.

BradJudy
07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I'll try and keep a tally for this - it's been helpful in the av123 auctions. For now, I'll assume anyone who said they were in bought one ticket. If you bought more, let me know by posting in this thread or sending a PM. If you posted, but didn't say you bought a ticket or "were in", then I didn't assume you bought one.

To borrow a disclaimer from other raffles: This is not an official list of raffle tickets, merely an unofficial tally to help track progress. Tickets may be bought without posting in the thread, so the tally might not be accurate. DaveF and Ascend are the official tally and ticket number holders.

1. Curtis
2. Mike^S
3. mziegler
4. buddhadas
5. Dave G
6. smithb39
7. Eddie Horton
8. chas
9. picasso
10. drewface
11. jvillas
12. ebh
13. JohnnyCasaba
14. jcookson
15. Sam1000
16. bdfin
17. muzz
18. blindcat7
19. marksanctuary
20-29. craigsub
30. Brian
31. venomxtf
32. Jonnyozero3
33. vankergr
34. opolione
35. delling001
36. ThomasC
37. ThomasC

Estimated 113 tickets left

muzz
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I got 2

buddhadas
07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I donated a dollar figure, I am quite happy with one.

Peace,

Jim

DarkWolf
07-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I bought one a few days ago, so you can add me to the count.

tjennings
07-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Just bought a ticket also, I hope the chemo does the trick.

BGHD
07-07-2007, 10:33 PM
In for 1.

sensibull
07-08-2007, 06:58 AM
+1

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

-Dylan Thomas

BradJudy
07-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Updated list:

I'll try and keep a tally for this - it's been helpful in the av123 auctions. For now, I'll assume anyone who said they were in bought one ticket. If you bought more, let me know by posting in this thread or sending a PM. If you posted, but didn't say you bought a ticket or "were in", then I didn't assume you bought one.

To borrow a disclaimer from other raffles: This is not an official list of raffle tickets, merely an unofficial tally to help track progress. Tickets may be bought without posting in the thread, so the tally might not be accurate. DaveF and Ascend are the official tally and ticket number holders.

1. Curtis
2. Mike^S
3. mziegler
4. buddhadas
5. Dave G
6. smithb39
7. Eddie Horton
8. chas
9. picasso
10. drewface
11. jvillas
12. ebh
13. JohnnyCasaba
14. jcookson
15. Sam1000
16. bdfin
17. muzz
18. blindcat7
19. marksanctuary
20-29. craigsub
30. Brian
31. venomxtf
32. Jonnyozero3
33. vankergr
34. opolione
35. delling001
36. ThomasC
37. ThomasC
38. Muzz
39. smithb39
40. DarkWolf
41. tjennings
42. BGHD
43. Jonnyozero3
44. Jonnyozero3
45. Jonnyozero3
46. sensibull
47. jvillas
48. drewface
49. Dave G
50. Dave G
51. Dave G
52. logicology

Estimated 98 tickets left

logicology
07-08-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm in

shadowlight
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
in for five, payment sent july 5th and 9th

davef
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Each and every one of you have touched my family in a way that is difficult to describe... From your posts, it seems that many of us have been affected by this horrible disease in one way or another. My father has been feeling very alone, very depressed and after reading your comments to him, he has begun to realize that he is not alone in this. None of us are and no one suffering from this disease should EVER feel alone...

THANK YOU!

"Official Tally"

86 tickets sold... 64 more to go...

buddhadas
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Dave,

As always, you and your family are in my prayers.

Peace,

Jim

jvillas
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi Dave, glad to hear your father has found some encouragement, and is drawing upon his inner strength. No, your father is not alone. I feel I can safely say the entire Ascend extended family is with him, and we're all rooting for him.

Julio

Reva
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I got two tickets with tears in my eyes. If we win the speakers they'll go to a children's cancer ward.
With love,
Rev

Galwin
07-09-2007, 06:30 AM
I have forwarded my donation. I lost my dad in 1992 to cancer. It's a rough road, but you can never give up hope! Never!

I have always felt that the Ascend community is one of the best in cyber-space - free of the mean spirited interactions that are so common in Hi-Fi discussions. Dave, you have set the tone by conducting your business with integrity and complete respect for the customer. You not only develop great products that are an outstanding value but are a class act to boot!

The love and support of family and friends is worth more than you can calculate. I wish you, your dad, and family all the best and will keep you all in my prayers.

JohnMichael
07-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Dave I am sending prayers for your father. Having a loving and supportive family will help him in his battle with cancer.

I just reactivated my PayPal account and will be ordering my ticket tomorrow.

BradJudy
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Looks like the raffle is moving fast - since the unofficial tally was off by more than 30, I don't know that there is much point in maintaining the list.

Our thoughts are with you and your family in these difficult times. Like others here, I have lost family to cancer, but I am also fortunate to have friends and family who are cancer survivors. Keep up the good fight!

Tallen234
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Just bought two tickets.

First post here long time AVSForum member (and Ascend supporter!).

MichaelG
07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
One ticket from our family. Lost my father to pancreatic cancer 7 years ago and know how difficult the challenge is for all involved! Your father is a lucky man! We will keep him in our prayers!

Michael

badassfajita
07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
In for 1--

Mr. Fab--
May you find strength knowing that hundreds of people who don't even know you care enough to lend a helping hand.

dBVision
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm in for two. Godspeed.

dpristin
07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm in. Best wishes to the entire family.

boludaso
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm in. Just sent my $35.

SRD
07-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I’ve also been UNfortunate enough to have close friends get cancer. One was diagnosed over 10 years ago, and she’s still fighting. Another was diagnosed just over 2-years ago and he’s been in remission ever since. They both made great strides in keeping the cancer at bay because they’re fighters. They’ve been able to fight a good fight because of the overwhelming support they’ve received from so many friends and family that care about them. This is a remarkable outpour of support which will only give your Dad more reason to give it all he’s got to beat this thing too. Keep your head up, be strong, surround yourself with all those that care, and think positive – I’m sure that’s the only way your dad would want it.

Best Wishes, and God Bless

Mark me down for another ticket

JasonColeman
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Count my wife and I in for 2. She lost both parents at a fairly young age, so we feel your pain and wish you the best of luck for a quick recovery.

J.

musicforme
07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Add me to the list of people buying a ticket in the raffle.

My Dad has a dormant form of cancer in the bone of one of his legs. Pretty scary stuff until we knew it wasn't likely to spread to the rest of his body. The doctors x-ray each year to make sure it isn't spreading.

randyb
07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
2 tickets and having dealt with both parents passing away (mother very early) and my absolute best friend and the person most close to me at the very early age of 37 (my brother), I understand family illness (and loss). My prayers are with you and a speedy recovery to your dad.

davef
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Greetings...

The turn out for this raffle is absolutely wonderful and I can't thank you enough!

My father's treatment schedule was rushed forward and his chemo started today. He took the first session like a champ, which is great news as we were concerned because he has chosen to take a more modern drug that is less toxic for his body but carries a 3% risk of an allergic reaction. I spoke to him later in the day, he was groggy and his speech was strained but he sounded no different to me compared to the day before -- which is good news.

Radiation starts on Monday, in this case - the radiation treatments will be tougher to deal with than the chemo (radiation treatments 5 days a week)

Please keep the comments coming, I will soon be printing all of them and my plan is to hang them everywhere in his bedroom so that he falls asleep to seeing words of encouragement and hope, and awakens each day to the same...

Only 35 tickets left!

tjennings
07-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Great news on his first chemo treatment Dave! Your dad is one tough hombre !!!

Sal
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
In for 1

BinaryLinguist
07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm in for 1.

God bless you and your family. May you find the strength in each other to deal with your hardship.

Mike

mattopia
07-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm in. My best to your father and your family Dave.

Matt
CybrHost

randyb
07-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Let's keep this going.

Jonnyozero3
07-15-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm in for four more as well. All I'm doing is giving back all the military discounts Dave has given me over the years... :o

Dave - all the best wishes for your father. Keep him strong.

Jon

jvillas
07-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm in for 2 more.

Hi Dave, how did your dads first radiation treatment go? Please tell your dad to hang in there,hang tuff.

scottkelly
07-17-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm in for 1 also . Be strong Dave and you and you're family will be put on my Church prayers list . Scott

davef
07-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

1 radiation session down, 29 more to go...

My father had surgery on Friday to install the feeding tube into his stomach. He handled the surgery OK but he is in a lot of pain from the incision and the tube. Docs say that the pain should go away in the next few days.

From what I heard (he was unable to speak to me today) radiation was quick and trouble free. He should be OK for the next few sessions and from there on, it will be a very rough ride. No matter how he feels, he must drink water (force swallowing) else it is possible he can permanently lose his ability to swallow...

I feel rather helpless now and I wish there was some way to ease his pain and just make him happy.

The raffle has been wonderful and has really touched me and my entire family. Please keep the comments coming as there are only 10 tickets left and I suspect the raffle will be closed by tomorrow evening. At which point, I will be mailing him printouts of EVERY comment.

I can not thank you enough!!! Only 10 tickets left!

drewface
07-17-2007, 05:25 AM
i think i'm gonna buy 2 more... sounds like he's off to a good start!

Sammy
07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm in as well.

I'll keep your father in my prayers Dave.

blindcat7
07-17-2007, 12:44 PM
In for a second ticket. Since I am currently back on disability, I had to be sure I could manage it before going in on a second ticket, but I calculated that it was doable. Felt strongly about doing it, a tribute to my grandmother and support for a brave individual fighting hard is too important.

Again, thanks for the opportunity to feel like I could do something positive for someone else. Being mostly housebound at this time I do not get a lot of opportunity to be of help to others. I am still sending prayers and have got my parents and a list of others praying as well. My dad is head chaplain at our local hospital, so he is used to getting prayer chains going.

Regards,

Chris

leon55
07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm in for 1 also, hope your father does well, as I just went through this with my brother-in-law.

boludaso
07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
They just dont make them like they used to. Tell your pops to hang tough. Nothing more important or valuable than a dad. (maybe a mom)

Not only does he have, it appears, great family to live for, but those new grandkids will hopefully give him that extra desire. I'm tearing up.

You're in my prayers Mr. Fabrikant, and my kids. Funny thing. Every time my kids pray, which is at least every night as we do one famiy prayer a day, they always pray for kids with mean mommies and daddies, kids with no mommies or daddies, and anyone with cancer. They never forget. But you are mentioned by name Mr. Fab, along with our neighbor who was just diagnosed with multiple tumors and extensive cancer. She putting up a fight like you'd expect from a mother of two young girls.

God bless you and may something good come from all this pain and suffering.

ebh
07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
We must be pretty close. I went in for one more too.

Stay positive, Dave. Have you decided to make a general gift to Sloan-Kettering, or to target a specific area of research? Just curious.

davef
07-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

Good news --- Due to a surprising number of raffle donations today (only about 1/2 of the participants post in the thread) we have gone slightly "over" the number of initial tickets. In addition, several more people requested "IN" before I close the raffe...

In consideration of these last minute requests and due to the generosity of a very dear friend, Brad Judy, I am adding a 4th prize to the raffle. 1 pr of CBM-170 SE. This is a brand new pair purchased and donated to the cause by Brad himself. 25 more tickets added for a new maximum total of 175.

Brad -- thank you!!!!

As of the time of this post, we are at 160 tickets sold -- Only 15 tickets left and the raffle will be officially closed.

Have you decided to make a general gift to Sloan-Kettering, or to target a specific area of research? Just curious.

Great question, and one that I have discussed in great detail with both of my parents... I have left the final choice up to them as to exactly what area of research the donation will be used for. When the raffle is closed and they have decided -- I will most certainly let all of you know.

chas
07-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks to Brad for donating the additional 170 SE's!

davef
07-20-2007, 01:11 AM
9 tickets left...

Johnal
07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Alrighty...i'm down for another one.

muzz
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm in for another one as well.

bdfin
07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi fives to Brad for the additional contributions.
On my way to work today I was listening to a local radio show and they were talking to a cancer researcher at the U of Washington. They are still in the pre human testing phase of a new more affective way to map or paint if you will, the cells that have been directly affected with cancer. Obviously not a total preventative, but they are very encouraged with the possibilities it holds for more accurate and thorough removal from areas that have been affected.
It shows that strides are continuing to be made every month, every week, and every day on ways to help combat this disease.

Once again Dave, best wishes to your Dad and your family.
Keep up the good fight.

muzz
07-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Very kind of Brad to BUY a NEW set of 170's and donate them to the raffle!!

EDIT: I would also like to thank Mark for donating the subs.

davef
07-23-2007, 03:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Only 1 ticket left --- If not sold by the end of the day today, I will purchase the ticket and if I win anything, I will sell it for 50% off with all proceeds of that sale going to the cause....

shadowlight
07-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

Only 1 ticket left --- If not sold by the end of the day today, I will purchase the ticket and if I win anything, I will sell it for 50% off with all proceeds of that sale going to the cause....

Dave,

I will take the last ticket. Payment on the way.

logicology
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
So have the winners been notified?

davef
07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
So have the winners been notified?

We will begin announcing the winners tomorrow afternoon. I will post the winning raffle ticket numbers and also contact the winners by email.

Good luck to everyone!!!

davef
07-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well into week #2 now. My father is hanging tough as things get more difficult for him. He was losing a lot of weight at first (not a good thing) but that seems to have stabilized as my mother is taking advantage of the installed feeding tube and *injecting* him with food when they are just sitting around relaxing.

I wanted to wish each and every one of you a huge thank you. We have done something wonderful here!

Here we go....

1st prize --> raffle ticket # 42
2nd prize --> raffle ticket # 33
3rd prize --> raffle ticket # 87
4th prize --> raffle ticket # 84

I will be contacting the winners by email later in the day (not sure who owns the actual tickets at this point, haven't looked them up yet)

Thanks again!

drewface
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
ah, poop. i didn't win.

oh well... congrats to the winners, and wishing dave's father continued strength and support. we're all rooting for you!

marksanctuary
07-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Found the kind email from Dave wiith my raffle ticket number ... 43 ... darn I was one number off.

We are still praying for your Dad and family.

dpristin
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Didn't win - never do, so no big surprise :) . Best wishes to David's dad and the entire family!

muzz
07-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, I knew going in that I wasn't going to win....
I never win any of these things!!
Tickets 40,41,+170

Congrats to the winners!! (probably some rich bastages!!)

Glad your Dads weight has stabilized Dave, tell him we all said hello!!

sensibull
07-25-2007, 04:41 PM
The odds were heavily in favor of craigsub, shadowlight, or one of the other multi-ticket buyers. My math skills are terrible, but I think craigsubs odds were something like 1 in 4.

davef
07-25-2007, 04:57 PM
The odds were heavily in favor of craigsub, shadowlight, or one of the other multi-ticket buyers. My math skills are terrible, but I think craigsubs odds were something like 1 in 4.

There were a total of 176 tickets sold.. Craig went in for 10 tickets, that gives him a 5.7% chance, or 1 in 17.6 :)

Still haven't checked to see just who the winners are but wow, muzz and Mark were soooo close!

sensibull
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
There were a total of 176 tickets sold.. Craig went in for 10 tickets, that gives him a 5.7% chance, or 1 in 17.6 :)

But there were four prizes. Wouldn't that increase the odds to 4 in 17.6? Like I said, my math is horrendous though.

**Please** don't get me wrong. Those guys deserve a better chance, for donating more. In any case, I think everyone would agree that winning or not winning the raffle is the least important thing in all this. Here's to hoping the words of encouragement give your dad a lift.

I can't but wonder whether music has helped him through all this. They say it has wonderful healing properties, and it certainly has helped me get through many a rough patch.

JohnnyCasaba
07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Congrats to the winners. I was one off from the second prize (had #32), come to think of it, I was one ounce off for the baby pool as well. It was for a great cause. Hats off to the winners.

davef
07-25-2007, 05:27 PM
But there were four prizes. Don't you divide 17 by 4? Like I said, my math is horrendous though.

Hi sens.... I was figuring the chances for winning the first prize.. ( I think craig already has a half dozen X-subs and some 170s -- actually, he has Sierra's too)

In Craig's situation, just multiply the percentage by 4 (4 prizes), for the percentage chance to win anything. In this case, it is very close to your original calculation of 1 in 4 :)

davef
07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I can't but wonder whether music has helped him through all this. They say it has wonderful healing properties.

Great point! Unfortunately, his first Chemo treatments (over 4 years ago) left him with a very bad case of Tinnitus...

ebh
07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
wow, I won!! 2nd place! ticket #33. I get to hear some 340s and an x-sub! I can't wait! I was gunning for the Sierras of course (edit: the wife loves the bamboo), but this is quite exciting. Nice present to come home to after making it through the second of 3 days of the CA bar exam.

Dave, thanks so much. Very glad to contribute to this cause. Turns out Sloan Kettering was where my wife's aunt was treated for breast cancer (and sadly, passed away). So I definitely feel a connection.

I hope things continue to go well with your Dad. I wish your family all the best.

buddhadas
07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
A hearty congratulations to all the winners as well as all who donated and sent/send their love and support!
Since I just bought 2 sierras and 2 cbm 170's, I thought for sure I would win because i don't need any speakers. Alas I had 44 and 45.
Great job Dave, and everone else.
Peace,
Jim

marksanctuary
07-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Dave,
I am not sure if this idea interests you or not but maybe you could do this again on a yearly basis. It could be called the "Cancer Independence Day Raffle" to aid in finding an opportunity that our future generations could someday be independent from the disease.

boludaso
07-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I think I feel fortunate in the fact that I can still brag that the only thing I've ever won was a beer mug, and I don't drink.

Congrats to those 4 special numbers.

And I hope congrats to Mr. Fabrikant and his valiant fight. Thanks for the opportunity Dave and hope to do this again next year.

shadowlight
07-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but I missed the winning boat by a long way :). For me it was a pleasure to contribute towards the cause which was more personal, than winning.

Personally, I do not own any Ascend speakers but hoping to listen to some soon and if I am ever in the market will definitely consider Ascend.

Congratulation to folks who contributed and won.

I am going back to my lurker mode.

picasso
07-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Congrats to those who will receive prizes but the real winners here are
Dave & dad.

I suspect that everyone who entered did so because of Dave and his reaching out. None of us cared if we won or not. We simply were willing to help an unseen friend in need.

David: Cherish the fact that you have friends across America. In many ways, you are one lucky man. This alone should lift your father's spirit. Because now, no matter what lies before him, he knows he's made a true gentleman out of his boy and no greater legacy is needed in life.

Mag_Neato
07-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Congrats to all the winners. There are those who won Ascend prizes, those who have won simply by supporting this raffle, and, of course, those with this disease who will benefit from the research this raffle will help fund.

A true win-win scenario!

davef
07-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Guys,

Briefly spoke to my father today. He was in good spirits as the doctors' said everything is going "as planned". Unfortunately, his ability to speak is fading fast. I would guess that in a few more days he will altogether lose the ability. I am hoping my family can get him set up on email ASAP (computers scare him).

I shipped them nearly 4 pounds of printed comments from this thread and various emails from all of you. To see this level of encouragement, support and honest empathy coming from complete strangers to him is so incredibly wonderful. You have touched me deeply and I will keep this close to my heart for the rest of my life.... :)

Dave,
I am not sure if this idea interests you or not but maybe you could do this again on a yearly basis. It could be called the "Cancer Independence Day Raffle" to aid in finding an opportunity that our future generations could someday be independent from the disease.

This is an absolutely wonderful idea! And if you are all winning to participate, I would be thrilled at the chance to make this a yearly event. In fact, I will go one step further, if any of you are in a similar situation, with an immediate family member suffering from the big "C" -- please contact me offline.

Congrats to those who will receive prizes but the real winners here are Dave & dad. I suspect that everyone who entered did so because of Dave and his reaching out. None of us cared if we won or not. We simply were willing to help an unseen friend in need.

David: Cherish the fact that you have friends across America. In many ways, you are one lucky man. This alone should lift your father's spirit. Because now, no matter what lies before him, he knows he's made a true gentleman out of his boy and no greater legacy is needed in life.

Thank you! -- I feel differently though. I feel the winners here will be our children. I pray that the many days (weeks) of additional research that our little community have provided for will lead to that one idea that spurs the cure, so that my son and daughter (and yours) NEVER have to be witness to the destruction and ultimate devastation this disease brings to so many families.

Congrats to all the winners. There are those who won Ascend prizes, those who have won simply by supporting this raffle, and, of course, those with this disease who will benefit from the research this raffle will help fund. A true win-win scenario!

Agreed --- and after hearing that so many of you have been in the same situation, you have my word that I am going to do my very best to do more about it -- learn more, contribute more -- get more involved. Regardless of the outcome, there is no way that I am going to let my father's 5 years of pain and suffering go unnoticed. No chance!

davef
08-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

Now that the raffle is over, I wanted to share with you some comments from my family..

From my sister:

"It has taken me some time to figure out how best to express my feelings to all of you… and there are still no words that can do justice, but I will try. Following my father’s most recent cancer recurrence, my days had been filled with fear, doubt, and sadness. From there- I went to anger, rage, and desperation. I was in the midst of succumbing to just feeling numb, when my brother David first showed me what he had put together. After reading the first few messages from all of you, I was unprepared for the flood of emotions I felt. Encouragement. Support. Compassion. Humanity. Hope. Emotions I had not felt in a very very long time. Emotions my heart and my soul had been longing to feel, but were having trouble finding on their own. And then the messages and support- many from virtual strangers- just kept coming in….. and it moves me to my core each and every time I read them. If it gives me renewed hope and strength to help my father fight this, I can only imagine what it does for him. Knowing we are not alone in this is priceless. You have reached out to a family in need and have truly made a difference, touching all of our hearts. Your generosity, kind words, and prayers will NEVER be forgotten. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And for those of you fighting the good fight, or helping a loved one through it, know you are not alone. There are people out there thinking of you, praying for you, and pulling for you.
Rebekah Fabrikant (Dave's lil sis)"

And from my brother, who some of you have met:

"When Dave showed me and family the raffle and what everyone was writing it had a tremendous impact. We couldn't believe the outpouring of support. The stories were very moving and it made us feel like we were not alone. It struck me that before facing such tribulations it probably does not occur to a person how important it is to connect with others. However, when in the midst of battle the power of connection can lift ones spirit from despair into meaning. You're words and deeds have done that and brought a great deal of uplifting energy to us all. Thank you. May you all be merited with rightful deeds and may these dollars be used towards supporting doctors, scientists, and nurses in finding new treatments.
Thank you all for you're meritous acts and Good Sound and HEALTH to you all.
Brother Jay Fab"

buddhadas
08-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Dave and Family,

As always, you remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace,
Jim

davef
09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would post an update.

My father is now FINISHED with both his radiation and chemotherapy. The doctors are calling this the halfway point as it wall take about 6 more weeks for the effects of this treatment to leave his system and for him to heal. It will be about 2 weeks before they plan to remove the feeding tube and hopefully, he will be able to carry on a normal conversation before then.

It has been a difficult time, some close calls and a few extended hospital stays, but my father has willed his way though this. The docs' won't make any determination as to how effective this treatment was until his PET scan in 6 weeks.

Our fingers are crossed and we are hoping the worst is over.

Thanks again for all of your support!

buddhadas
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Congrats to your Father Dave.

Hope you had a good relaxing trip.

You and your family remain in my prayers.

Peace,

Jim

JasonColeman
09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Dave-

Glad to hear that your dad is done with this round of treatments. Hopefully they will have been successful and you and your family can start to restore some semblance of order and peace of mind. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

The Colemans

Mag_Neato
09-11-2007, 05:25 AM
My prayers are with you and your family, Dave. I hope the treatments take effect and all is well.

My father goes in today for bone marrow testing due to low hemoglobin. I am praying it is not cancer related.

bikeman
09-11-2007, 06:31 AM
I've been away from the Forum for awhile so this is the first I've heard. To both Dave & Ed, our prayers are with you.

David

BradJudy
09-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm glad to hear this latest round is complete - I know it's been a tough time for your father and the entire family.

Take care.

debo
09-11-2007, 05:27 PM
He just fought for two months...that is one huge will. You da man Mr. Fabrikant!

drewface
09-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Good to hear he's still hanging in strong. Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with your entire family as the fight continues.

boludaso
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Good news.

Dave, if you are working on a sub, I have a suggestion. The name of the sub should be called "Stout".

I suggest this as a tribute for your dad. When I think of his fight, and all others like him, I think of people with stout wills and fight. Just solid desire.

Send our wishes, love and prayer to him.

aran

ebh
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
best of luck again to your father. i just found out a family friend was diagnosed with cancer. he's only 43 and just recently had his first child. it's an awful, awful disease.

davef
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Just received this from Sloan...

Thanks again to everyone!

mziegler
09-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Awesome.

davef
12-17-2008, 12:47 AM
A full year and a half has past since I posted an update and I am long overdue. These past 18 months have been devastating for my family. The various treatments discussed in my original post did not work at all. In fact, my father's cancer continued to grow throughout the treatments and some could even say the growth was accelerated.

I believe my father spent more time this past year in the hospital rather than in his home, having endured major surgeries and even more radiation and chemotherapy. Even through all of this, his will to live never faltered…

My father passed on Friday, November 14th - I held his hand as he took in his last breath…

It has now been a full month and while most days are still cloudy and depressing, the occasional ray of sunlight breaks through and I can feel some strength returning, at least enough to start sharing my thoughts and celebrate the man who will always be - My Father…

Please click here to read more, including an opportunity to assist us in making a difference in the fight against cancer. http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=30216#post30216

marksanctuary
12-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Dave, God bless your family!