PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Sierra question

buddhadas
07-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I have finally gotten to the point of having a "vintage" Mcintosh 2 channel system. I put vintage in quotes because I have a hard time with amps from my childhood being referred to as Vintage. Anyway, I am looking at a pair of Mcintosh speakers from that same time, but a 40 year old speaker worries me. I don't want to have a sub in this system, and I keep reading at how low the Sierra's go. Being a 340se owner, I love Ascend speakers. What would you guys suggest? I like the idea of having a period setup, yet I want the system to sound as good as possible.
Thanks in advance.

Jim

curtis
07-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Hmmm....I think you need to compare and weigh what you like best about each, and then decide.

I put vintage in quotes because I have a hard time with amps from my childhood being referred to as Vintage.
Yeah...I know what you mean. :)

buddhadas
07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks curtis.

Would you run the sierra's in your own system without a sub in 2 channel?

curtis
07-02-2007, 06:30 PM
yup...but with one caveat....

If I were to play at very loud levels or in a very large room, I would also want a to use subwoofer with great sound quality.

buddhadas
07-02-2007, 06:44 PM
thanks for your help and honesty Curtis!
Even though i am now a vintage/old fart I still like my music at rather loud volumes. Not ear bleeding, but a beer in the backyard and still be able to hear it kind of loud. I really do like the look of the natural finish sierras, and i suspect they would sound good with the Mcintosh.