PDA

View Full Version : Using a quality car wax on the sierras?

merrymaid520
06-30-2007, 06:52 AM
My sierras just arrived yesterday and today I will calibrate and spend some time listening. I did get the B-stocks and Dave had mentioned it was possible to buff some of the hairline swirls out but time consuming. I use Zaino car products which if you know, are some of the best. I was thinking I could use the swirl remover wax (Z-5) to buff the sierras. They have a clearcoat and thats what the wax is made for. Any thoughts! They do look great though:)

Very pleased so far....more impressions to come.

Brandon

Mike^S
07-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't know about that one, but I've used Meguiar's ScratchX remover with some Cotton Terry Pads and it definitely helps to remove the scratches.

To help prevent new scratches, Dave recommended to me to use a very soft feather duster to get the dust off, and then you can wipe them down with a fine micro fiber cloth, also available at any auto care store. I have also purchased Meguiar's Tech Wax, which says it gives an amped up, deep wet-look shine and Xtreme synthetic polymer protection. I have not used it yet though.

I guess I'm a little obsessed with taking care of my Sierras. :p

curtis
07-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Mike, you are welcome to practice on my car first. :)

Mike^S
07-01-2007, 11:24 AM
HAH! :p

debo
07-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Brandon

Zaino is a excellent polish! I was going to use Z2 on mine but then I started looking at piano polish.

Jonnyozero3
07-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Just FYI - I'd be very careful about getting waxes on the edges of the drivers. I've seen how hard those waxes/sealents etc can be to get off vehicle trim, I'd hate to see it stained on the baffle-thing around the tweeter....

davef
07-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Meguiar's Scratch-X works very well to remove some of the hairline scratches.

Our piano repair-man does not recommend using a car wax on the speakers. The speaker finish is polyurethane based, which is different than the acrylic clear coat on cars. He recommends using a quality piano polish, which is what we are now using on all A-stock models.

With a buffing wheel, a special wax (Menzerna) and some effort, you can remove all of the scratches.

Take care!

debo
07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Just to let you know Zaino isn't a wax but is polymer-based. I used one of their products called Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Detailing Spray on my speakers and they look fantastic! Enhances the gloss and is antistatic which helps reduce dust.
I'd recommend Zaino products just like I would Ascend speakers both world class.

Dave don't get me wrong you are absolutely correct about watching what you put on a high gloss paint surface because one could cause a lot more harm than good.

merrymaid520
07-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Debo,
I agree with you that zaino is excellent. I would not hesitaite to use the z6 or even the z8 to "dust"them off. Dave mentioned menzerna to polish any hairline scratches out of the sierras. Any idea what menzerna polish to use exactly or any other thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Brandon

curtis
07-03-2007, 08:58 PM
My guess, from doing a google, Menzerna Polish #6 FINE or Menzerna Wax Buffing Compound . Probably best to get an answer from Ascend directly.

davef
07-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Menzerna H0813 Yellow is recommended...

Hope this helps!

merrymaid520
07-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Dave,

Would this menzerna need to be applied by machine (orbital car polisher) or can it be done by hand by chance?

Just curious,

Thanks again,
Brandon

davef
07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Dave,

Would this menzerna need to be applied by machine (orbital car polisher) or can it be done by hand by chance?

It must be applied by appropriate high speed buffing wheel.

Hope this helps!