PDA

View Full Version : Sierras, what in-cieling surrounds would match?

logicology
06-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been snooping around here for a while and last week ordered my Sierra L/C/R package. I absolutely can not wait until they arrive. Figured this is a good time to make an account :)

I'm looking now for in-ceiling surrounds for a 5.1 setup in my HT, with Sierra mains and center. I'm worried that most of the in-ceiling speakers out there won't match the unique "transparent" sound of the Sierra's. Does any one have any suggestions of which brands or models to check out?

Thanks

p.s. I got the natural bamboo.

logicology
06-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Any ideas?

bdfin
06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
It may just be me, but I wouldn't want any speaker mounted in ceiling facing straight down in my system. I don't care for that kind of sound. Now maybe its works for some so I'm not going to say it won't. Do they have to go in the ceiling? The HTM-200's have wall mounting inserts or could go on a pair of stands. They are fairly small. That way they could be properly aimed for your listening pleasure instead of coming down from the sky. Several people here use them for their surrounds.

logicology
07-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey. Thanks for the reply.. it's taken me a little while to reply back because... well, my Sierras (L/R/C) came in this week :)

I do agree that having in-ceiling surrounds is not optimal. In fact, I was moments away from buying another set of Sierras for the surrounds. But frankly, my wife wasn't happpy :)

Our room is newly constructed and there are already a bunch of speaker cable runs in the ceiling. The ceiling is vaulted, started around 7 feet above the sitting area and going up to 12 feet where the TV is.

The room is really a family room, not a HT room. In fact, I listen to music more than we watch movies. And when I listen to music I only use the main Sierras. So the surrounds would just be for the occasional movie.

I was considering the Speaker Craft Aim series speakers. That way I can sort of "aim" the sound. I'm also considering some NHT and Sonace in-ceiling speakers. Any one have experience with these?

jermy4
07-06-2007, 08:17 AM
This has been discussed before:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=720

marksanctuary
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
For a low profile look; you might think about doing some quadpole speakers from Axiom. The QS4s and the QS8s not in-wall but they are very low profile wedges. They can be ordered in many colors or unpainted so you can paint them to match your wall or ceiling color.

The quadpole speakers don’t have that “sheetrock baffled” sound like in-wall speakers do, and they don't have that funny out of phase sound like dipole/bipole speakers. They can give you the ambient sounds without pinpointing the speaker; also they are able to lock in the direct location sounds when needed. I personally think they do a good job matching the tambourine of the Ascend speakers too.

These speakers are amazing surround speakers, I have heard them many times at a friends and plan on getting some soon as I get the cash-ola together. I think there are many Ascend users out there that have looked at or are using these little guys. I recomend checking them out. Axiom Surround Speakers (http://www.axiomaudio.com/surroundspeakers.html)