PDA

View Full Version : What AVR for Ascends (other than HK)?

millerwill
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I know that Ascend likes HK AVR's for ascends, but HK has been getting a pretty bad rap in the AVR forums for QC and 'querkiness' problems. I currently had a Pioneer 1014 that I had ~ 2 yrs, and am interested in upgrading to one with HDMI inputs (to be able to deal with the new audio formats of BluRay and HD DVD more conveniently); willing to go up to ~ $1K.

So I wondering what AVR my fellow Ascend owners use and find most suitable for these speakers. (I have 340's LCR, and 200's as surroungs.) Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, ... ? Are there particular ones of these that do NOT go well with Ascends, and ones that DO?

Mag_Neato
06-27-2007, 05:15 AM
I have had a Denon AVR-885 for over a year running 170's, and then Sierra-1's. No problems whatsoever. I just replaced it with a THX certified Onkyo TXSR-703. Power ratings are nearly identical, however it seems that the Onkyo may have a bit more dynamic reserve. It definitely runs hotter than the Denon. I was looking for a bit more punch and figured the THX logo might help that. Could have added an amp too, but I think it would have cost too much. The Onkyo sounds great as well, and if you asked me to pick one out from the other it would be tough, until dynamic power was factored in.

Choose the features within your price limit and listen/play with as many models as needed. Each brand has it's own user interface, ergonomics and idiosyncrosies(probably spelled that wrong).

millerwill
06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the specific AVR doesn't make so much difference.

Sam1000
06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the specific AVR doesn't make so much difference.

Unless you are using Panny xr55/57.. Don't know why, but I really disliked it after I got my new receiver and listened to it. But, you have ruled out HK, so hope Denon or any other receiver works out for you.

jermy4
06-28-2007, 07:57 AM
I haven't been reading much on the forums. Can someone elaborate on these QC issues with H/K receivers?

Dread Pirate Robert
06-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Receivers don't make nearly as much of a difference as speakers, of course, but it can be audible, especially when you're playing challenging material at a loud volume (not so uncommon in home theater, for example). Modern receivers from major companies that are sold by themselves are all pretty good nowadays (even some of the packaged ones in the better HTIBs aren't so bad), but there still are differences.

In my opinion, HK and Denon offer the best performance and value in the low-end, mass market. Admittedly, I have no experience with the new Panasonic "digital" (well, not exactly) receivers, though--I only know that some people love them and some hate them, so something must be going on. If you desire high-end capability, then perhaps the best value can be attained with the combination of a good preprocessor (some receivers with pre-outs may suffice) and some of the smaller pro amps from companies such as Crown or QSC, which are quite affordable in comparison to hi-fi consumer amps and probably just as good.

I haven't been reading much on the forums. Can someone elaborate on these QC issues with H/K receivers?

I'm not sure about the exact nature of the "QC" issues, but I've heard about a number of instances in which the receiver gets "confused" or locks up, which sounds like a firmware (embedded software) QC issue. During the past seven years or so of excessive messing around, I've managed to confuse or lock up my own Denon receiver only once, which necessitated a hard reset (losing all of my settings). However, I don't have a good sense of how bad the issues might be with HK receivers nowadays in comparison, I'm afraid. I do like the performance and sound of HK's amp section, though, and I haven't "crashed" any that I've played with so far, which is all I can really say aside from the fact that any reasonably complex piece of hardware is subject to bugs in its firmware (some more than others).