PDA

View Full Version : New SVS MTS line and the Sierras

merrymaid520
06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the sierras on order and seen SVS just introduced the new MTS line. I have always loved ascend for their speakers and SVS for their Subs (own both). Its very interesting and great for consumers that high end performance bookshelf speakers are becoming more and more affordable to all of us. I will be curious to see how the MTS's bookshelfs stand up against the sierras. I see they are very excited about the new scanspeak tweeter in the new line. Heated debates are sure to follow:)

Either way, both companies do a heck of a job providing products at great prices compared to the retail & specailty A/V stores.

Brandon

BradJudy
06-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Well, it looks like you'll have to wait until "early November" before you'll see any comparisons, because that's what SVS lists as the date for production speakers to begin shipping. Until then, it's useless speculation.

merrymaid520
06-25-2007, 12:39 PM
I did see November as a ship date also. I did not mean to speculate, just keeping up on all the latest news and announcements from various A/V companies I enjoy buying from.

My sierras should ship out this week......yeah!

Brandon

FirstReflect
06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, the new SVS MTS line appears to be a "no non-sense" sensibly designed group of speakers with some nice attention to looks. I've little doubt that they will be "good" speakers. Their SBS line-up was well made and performed very well. Solid design.

Will the MTS speakers be "better" than the Sierra-1's? I don't really think of it like that. I believe we're in a really great time when we don't really have to worry about getting "bad" speakers, or speakers that sound like "crap".

I fully believe that anyone who buys the MTS speakers will probably be very happy with them. And I think the same is true of the Sierra-1's. These are impressive products, all of them, no matter what.

My guess is that the MTS speakers will be capable of higher output than the Sierra-1's. They are physically larger and the towers and center have two 6.5" drivers rather than one. The MBS-01 bookshelf is the most obvious "direct" competitor to the Sierra-1's - similar price range as well.

All that said, the Sierra-1's bamboo structure is something unique and I expect that if anything makes a very noticable difference, it will be that. The MTS speakers are still MDF as far as I can tell from what is posted on the SVS website. No matter how thick or well braced the MDF structure may be, it won't have the advantages of the Sierra-1's laminated bamboo.

So from design alone, I'm going to go ahead and predict that the Sierra-1's will have an advantage. I've every confidence that the MTS speakers from SVS will be very good. I'd highly doubt anyone buying them would be disappointed. They appear to be a very solid and smart design. These ain't no speakers that rhyme with "blows" :p

Seeing the physically larger MTS towers and MCS center though makes me even MORE eager to see a Sierra-2! A physically larger Sierra speaker capable of more output than the Sierra-1.

If there's an Ascend subwoofer on the way, I'd love to see that as well! One thing that's very nice about the SVS speakers is how perfectly they match asthetically to the SVS subs. An MTS speaker package with the PB13-Ultra would surely look perfect together. I'm not sure what Dave and his team are up to when it comes to subs, but if they can deliver something to outdo the PB13-Ultra - that's something I GOTTA hear! :D

Jon

merrymaid520
06-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Jonathan,

I agree also that both companies make exceptional products at affordable prices. I think each line of speakers whether its the Sierras or MTS's, will offer its own benefit for each individual buyer. My sierras arrive tomorrow, so I hope I can test out the bamboo cabinet:)

I am a bit curious myself as to what is instore for ascend. Could it be a larger Sierra and also what kind of sub might be announced? I own a SVS ultra and anything near the caliber would be outstanding. I am sure ascend would aim for more "accuracy" in the bass versus shear output.

Always fun looking ahead to our next big A/V purchase.

Brandon