PDA

View Full Version : sierra's

tank418
06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I really like the sierra's but do they offer them in a oak finish ? or just natural, piano finishes I have oak floors in my house not to sure if bamboo would look kinda funny with oak flooring

tanaka
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Currently they are only offered in bamboo and piano black.

FirstReflect
06-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Strangely enough, I'd like to see the Sierra-1's offered in a Matte black finish, or better yet - professionally wrapped in black velvet!

The Piano Black finish is stunning in its own right, but it's like having multi-faced mirrors in your room! This is a big no-no for a front projection setup. And while the natural finish looks excellent too, its light color and reflective shine also make it far less than ideal for a dedicated front projection setup.

I'd actually love to know - would there be any detriment to the sound if I were to fashion some black velvet "sleeves" or "socks" for the Sierra-1 speakers?

Obviously I would leave the front face totally open (the speaker grill covers most of the face anyway) and have positioned openings for the ports. But I'm curious if there could be any "harm" done to the sound of the speakers if I were to cover them in this way.

It seems an awful shame to cover such beautiful finishes, but at the same time, I've invested quite a lot of money into my front projection setup! And when I'm watching a movie, I'm not looking at my speakers :p With the mirror-like finish, I can guarantee that I would be distracted. And the reflected light from the speakers' finish would also negatively impact the image on my projection screen!

The flat finish of the CBM-170SE and CMT-340SE is actually pretty good in a totally blacked out theater, although they do still reflect a small amount of light, but it isn't very distracting. The Sierra-1's though would practically become a light source!

So if I can cover them myself without affecting the sound, then that is fine. But if Ascend were to offer a professional non-reflective black finish, I think I would prefer that!

Jon

muzz
06-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Well I've noticed, that a small piece of TRIPLE BLACK VELVET ON TOP of ANY speaker that is right under the screen will help IMMENSLEY.

I use syfabrics -Triple black Velvet myself($5.90,- 5.50 for>5 sq) .

With this, there is NO issue,IDC what ya have for under color...

It just works!!