PDA

View Full Version : Sierra vs. Paradigm Signiture S2

Jacob C
06-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I doubt anyone has had the chance to compare these speakers but I love the Paradigm Signatures. To date they are the best speakers I've heard. If the Sierras are on par with them I think I have no choice but to buy them at that point. The signatures are amazing, to get that performance for $800 would be an astounding deal.

Dread Pirate Robert
06-03-2007, 11:12 AM
I can't help you with this comparison directly, but for what it's worth, I preferred the CBM-170SE over the Paradigm Studio 20. It stands to reason that what you'll get with the Sierra-1 is something that costs about as much as the Studio 20 but with significantly better performance, just going by what people are generally saying. Whether it's on par with the S2, I can't say, but even if no one has made this exact comparison, it might be worth a try for the cost of shipping (that's up to you to decide, obviously).

ravingndrooling
06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
I liked my 340/170 set-up better than my Studio40/20/470 set-up. In my Paradigm quest I should have stuck with 5 20s instead of 40s/470 across the front. I really liked the way 5 20s sounded together. To make a long reply longer, I sent back my 340s and am patiently awaiting my 3 Sierras for my front. I really was impressed by the 170s, so for now they will stay for surround duty. I know this didn't answer your question about Sigs but just a little info on what I traded for my Studios. :D

brehms
06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
A while back (6mo), My wife, mother-inlaw, and I went and auditioned Paradigm Signature S2's, Studio 20, and Studio 40's.
After listening to Rock, Classical, Jazz, and hiphop my wife said:
"The voices sound like their, like robots. The instruments don't sound real, they sound very tinny. The bass is muddy"

The sales rep tried to offer a plethora of room accustic excuses.

My wife didnt by it, and we left.

Since then, I've listened to Paradigms at a few different dealers, and they all pretty much sounded as described above. I've also read similar reports in multiple forums. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying a Paragim speaker ever.

The Sierra-1's, though a cheaper speaker by a few $1000, sounds much much better.

metalaaron
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
My first surround sound setup consisted of Paradigm v.2 monitor 7s, mini monitors, a cc370, a pdr-8, and then a pdr-12. I tried the v.3 studio 20 in home, and a cc-570. I heard some of the others at a store in GA which required a decent drive. The prices were sky high so I purchased studios via the internet. I felt the v.3 20 was the little engine that could, or the "less is more" in the studio series. It presented excellent off axis response. There were some areas of the frequency range that lacked tonal balance. The cc-570 has an excellent cabinet size, and it is a great performer by itself. Centers are often an obstacle, and the obstacle I found with the Paradigms was a sonic one. I never found a "match" I liked among the soundstages that the studio systems presented. I think Paradigms will always have their own 'signature' sound, and it's (always) a matter of preference combined with personal experience.

Not much to say about signature other than opinions about the price points you enter vs the % performance increase over the studio series. Again, and especially at that level, it's very much up to the listener.

**my sierras should arrive tomorrow...

FirstReflect
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
This is an interesting comparison, and I can truly understand where you're coming from.

I too have loved the sound of the Paradigm Signature speakers for some time now, though their price has kept them out of my reach and out of my home :( I had heard the entire Paradigm lineup from bottom to top and I was never truly impressed until I heard the Signature speakers. I thought the rest of Paradigm's lineup could be bested by other competing speakers in the same price ranges.

When I heard Ascend speakers for the first time, I was impressed. That was just an instant reaction, I didn't even know the price at the time! And while Ascend's speakers have continued to impress me, I have to admit that the Paradigm Signature speakers were still just a cut above - but obviously for a MUCH higher price :p

I haven't heard the Sierra-1's yet. I hope the remedy that soon! But if what I have read is to be believed, they could very easily give the Signatures a good run. And when you factor in price, if the Sierra-1's are very close in sound, in terms of value it'll be no contest!

I can't yet say that the Sierra-1's are as good as the Paradigm Signature speakers, but I can say this. When I've compared the CMT-340SE's to the Signatures, my thoughts echoed what has been said by those comparing the CMT-340SE's to the Sierra-1's.

The 340SE's are excellent speakers. They impress me regardless. But when I compare them directly to the Paradigm Signatures, it's like a very slight fog is lifted. There's just a touch more "something" and it can be very difficult to describe. But this is exactly the same sort of description that people are giving when comparing the Sierra-1's, so I doubt it's just coincidence.

I can't wait to hear the Sierra-1's. When I do, I'll know for sure. But just going by my own experience and what I'm reading people saying, I have confidence that the Sierra-1's are indeed on par with the Paradigm Signatures. And that has me VERY excited :D

Jon

tanaka
06-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I have not heard them side by side but I'll give this a shot...

The signature bookshelves are probably more musical sounding. In other words they colour the sound, but in a pleasing way.

I own the sierras and I would say they are cleaner and more detailed than the signatures.
It all depends on what you like.

Mike^S
06-22-2007, 10:15 PM
The Sierra's sure sound musical to me. Although, I think our definitions of musical may be different.

Kpt_Krunch
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow guys - that's really tough. I remember once a thread a long time ago where some people were comparing subs. SVS this and HSU that, all else was crap - including the Servo -15. Well, just recently there was a thread on AVS where a guy could get a Servo from a buddy for real cheap ($800 I think, but don't quote me). He asked if he should do that or go with an SVS or HSU or something.

Every single respondent told him to buy the Servo - no questions asked, and if he wasn't - give them the name of his buddy and they'd go buy it.

So, now I'm just saying - but what would the reaction be - even here, if someone posted that they had an opportunity to get the Sig 2's for lets say $1000, or the Sierras for $849, what should I go with - how would you all respond? I really doubt any of you would honestly say take the Ascends.

Now, that being said - I'm a very proud owner of the Classic Ascend 340's and 170's. David knows how to make a speaker, and most people have all been very consistent in rating the speakers in terms of their sound characteristics. I'm sure the Sierra is a terrific speaker- in fact I'm so sure I will be ordering some for my new H/T room once it's built (that's a ways off still as I have more pressing matters to spend my money on, or so my wife tells me).

But the Sigs are a truely fine speaker, and have gone through a product change already. I would say the Sigs are better than the Sierras on paper and if all things were equal I would buy the Sigs in a heart beat.

But things get interesting here - as all things are not equal. The Sierras are less than half price of the Sigs, and I am 100% confident that the Sigs are not twice as good as the Sierras, so since all things are not equal, unless money is no object - you always want the best value for your dollar. Clearly, the Sierra will win that against just about any speaker out there right now. I'm really stoked about this - David doesn't exactly come out with new offerings every 6 months or so. I envy all you current Sierra owners - I hope to join you one day. How do you all think a set of 7 Sierras would sound in a 14 x 24 x 9 room with sound treatments and a PC-Ultra plus cylinder Ultra mega whatever (can't they just call it a PC-Ultra 13) or two, being driven by separate of course (I was thinking Emotiva DMC-2 and MPS 1 using balanced connections and maybe getting 3 of those mega ultra thingies - since the DMC 2 (well, the DMC-1 anyway) has 3 sub outs - may as well use 'em if they're there :eek: )

Quinn
06-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I would say the Sigs are better than the Sierras on paper and if all things were equal I would buy the Sigs in a heart beat.

What it says on paper doesn't tell you how it sounds and whether you'll like that sonic signature. If all things were equal, I'd take the less expensive one.

tanaka
06-23-2007, 05:17 AM
Mike s,
The sierras ARE musical. But not as musical as the signatures. The sierras are more accurate, more like a monitor. JMHO.

Kpt Krunch,
You bring up a good point. But I think that part of the reason that people might buy the sigs is because of the perception. Some speakers cost hundreds of thousands of dollars so people percieve them to automatically be better than other speakers when that isn't neccessarily the case.

I do think the sigs are really nice. I also think the sierras are really nice. I think they are "different" not really one being better than the other. Like I stated earlier, I believe the sierras lean toward the accuracy side and the sigs lean toward the musical side.

ravingndrooling
06-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Wow guys - that's really tough. I remember once a thread a long time ago where some people were comparing subs. SVS this and HSU that, all else was crap - including the Servo -15. Well, just recently there was a thread on AVS where a guy could get a Servo from a buddy for real cheap ($800 I think, but don't quote me). He asked if he should do that or go with an SVS or HSU or something.

Every single respondent told him to buy the Servo - no questions asked, and if he wasn't - give them the name of his buddy and they'd go buy it.

So, now I'm just saying - but what would the reaction be - even here, if someone posted that they had an opportunity to get the Sig 2's for lets say $1000, or the Sierras for $849, what should I go with - how would you all respond? I really doubt any of you would honestly say take the Ascends.

Now, that being said - I'm a very proud owner of the Classic Ascend 340's and 170's. David knows how to make a speaker, and most people have all been very consistent in rating the speakers in terms of their sound characteristics. I'm sure the Sierra is a terrific speaker- in fact I'm so sure I will be ordering some for my new H/T room once it's built (that's a ways off still as I have more pressing matters to spend my money on, or so my wife tells me).

But the Sigs are a truely fine speaker, and have gone through a product change already. I would say the Sigs are better than the Sierras on paper and if all things were equal I would buy the Sigs in a heart beat.

But things get interesting here - as all things are not equal. The Sierras are less than half price of the Sigs, and I am 100% confident that the Sigs are not twice as good as the Sierras, so since all things are not equal, unless money is no object - you always want the best value for your dollar. Clearly, the Sierra will win that against just about any speaker out there right now. I'm really stoked about this - David doesn't exactly come out with new offerings every 6 months or so. I envy all you current Sierra owners - I hope to join you one day. How do you all think a set of 7 Sierras would sound in a 14 x 24 x 9 room with sound treatments and a PC-Ultra plus cylinder Ultra mega whatever (can't they just call it a PC-Ultra 13) or two, being driven by separate of course (I was thinking Emotiva DMC-2 and MPS 1 using balanced connections and maybe getting 3 of those mega ultra thingies - since the DMC 2 (well, the DMC-1 anyway) has 3 sub outs - may as well use 'em if they're there :eek: )
Sierras across the front, twin PCUs with a Velo SMS and a big fat Parasound...Sounds DAMN GOOD to me!!
No offense to any Paradigm owners(cuz I've owned a BUNCH)but I'll keep my Sierras and my SVS all day long and twice on Sundays. For my ears and money I liked my SVS subs better than the Servo. I did compare a couple of Paradigm subs next to an Ultra, the Servo was the only one that could keep up or even better it.

Kpt_Krunch
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Sierras across the front, twin PCUs with a Velo SMS and a big fat Parasound...Sounds DAMN GOOD to me!!
No offense to any Paradigm owners(cuz I've owned a BUNCH)but I'll keep my Sierras and my SVS all day long and twice on Sundays. For my ears and money I liked my SVS subs better than the Servo. I did compare a couple of Paradigm subs next to an Ultra, the Servo was the only one that could keep up or even better it.

Hey - that's good to know! The new PC-Ultra 13 (at least that's what I'll call it) I can get for $150 off pre-order right now - with $100 shipping (and it ships from sonic boom in Canada so no 'extra' border/custom/duty charges to worry about) it's very interesting. Problem is I have a lot of money sitting in my bank account right now - I could buy everything I want - the Emo's, 3 of the PC-Ultras, 7 Sierras, and even a the FP and screen - but the problem then would be I'd still have 6000 sq feet of mud (and would fora long time) in the back yard. Priorities I guess - but I may be able to sneak the sub in (wasn't planning on that one at all - but it could be too good a deal to pass up).

Quinn - your post is a bit confusing. All things being equal there is no 'cheaper' one. That was my point - for $849 from David - the Sierras would cost me about $1100 to get to my door - I guess I should have clarified that a bit. The sigs list for $2599.00 a pair. IF I could get those right now for $1000.00 + tax, the deal is done and I'm laughing all the way. I guess that's my point. Same analogy if you could get Sierras for say $300.00 or go with a $300.00 list book shelf speaker - same reaction, I'd take the Sierras with no questions asked. I'm just being honest here. Bottom line is I could 5 Sierras for the price of 2 Sigs - so that's the route I'd go (even if I liked the Sigs better - too much money for me- in fact the Sierras are about at my budget limit for a pair of speakers - all final charges worked in).

debo
06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
This is kind of ironic. Yesterday on my way to lunch I was driving past a local A/V shop so I decided to stop in. I ended up sitting down in a room of Signatures. After listening to some of their demo music just 2 channel and no sub I went out to my car and ejected a cd with Barry White, Celine Dion, Michael Buble, and another with some Dylon, and Santana all wave files no Mp3 for me. I ended up sitting there for just over an hour and at different times with a huge grin on my face with a salesman that thinks I'm getting into the Signature 2's and he'll be making a sale. Ha ha what he doesn't know is that the grin is for the Sierra's I just connected on noon Thursday and they haven't been turned off yet. Well when I get home the first thing I do is listen to these cd's again and the grin returns but a little bigger this time! I'll tell you this for sure is that I think the tighter deeper more detailed bass from the Sierra kicked the Signature's butt. I even felt the Signature may have been a bit colored and that isn't something I remembered the last time I heard the Paradigm so maybe it is the Sierra's that are making me hear that. I know this isn't and A/B test in the same environment but you know what even if these speakers were even money I would walk away with the Sierra's and I have always liked the Paradigm's. Just humble opinion.
One of the best non lunches I ever had!
Dave I do believe you may have just stuck it into the audio worlds ear with the Sierra-1.