PDA

View Full Version : Emotiva 25watt enough for 2 sierra's?

dallas
05-28-2007, 12:23 PM
My question is, can 2x25 watt quality amp produce audible levels without risk of damage to the s-1's? I'm just looking for "TV" quality sound appropiate for a bedroom, nothing loud at all.

(If you are about to suggest a different solution altogether, these are my reason's)

I'm in a unideal living situation for the next 6-12 months and I'm selling off my current setup (good, not great) and plan to upgrade fully once I'm out of it. Emotiva hardware and sierra's all around most likely.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find a way to go "halfway" for an in bedroom setup, and I was hoping to get the lowend emotiva prepro that has a built in 2x25watt amp and a couple sierra's to get me started.

GirgleMirt
05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah I`m sure it would be fine. Dave recommends 50 watts, but if you're not going to drive them too loud, you shouldn't have any problems.

Think they're something like 87dB, so you should be able to attain 100dB which is pretty loud, also sounds like the room they'll be in won't be big so again, that will help.

I used to drive Totems with a 30 watts, and I think they had even lower efficiency than the Sierras, and I could play them louder than I ever wanted...

dallas
05-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks GM. If no one seriously objects to your recommendation, I think I am going to go forward with said plan.

Thanks again for the input. It's nice to hear you ran somehting off a 30watt amp without problems.

curtis
05-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I think it would work, but I do not think you would get the best out of the Sierras.

dallas
05-28-2007, 02:20 PM
I think it would work, but I do not think you would get the best out of the Sierras.

I dont' expect it to, this is entirely an interim solution. I only expect it to be better than my TV's built in crappy speakers, anything beyond that is gravy. Later, I will be upgrading the processor, adding a real amp, and 4 more s-'1 for surrounds.

This is livable space constraint, not lack of cash.

At the same time, I'm wanting the emotiva upgrade discount of 40% for the future processor upgrade and also hope to take advantage of the intro pricing and possible b-stock discounts of some of my sierra's (I'll probably buy 3 now, 4 later).