PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Update

davef
05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I thought I would just share with you an update on the Sierra’s (coming up for a short breath :) )

Loads of naturals went out today, with more scheduled for tomorrow and Friday. The naturals look fantastic and I am very pleased with the cabinet quality and, more importantly, performance. The speakers are measuring spot on!

However, as with most first production runs we have run into a minor snag on the piano-blacks. Due to some packaging/handling errors from our cabinet manufacturer, we are experiencing a much larger percentage of B-stock than I am comfortable with. Due to the remarkable reflective properties of our piano-black, even the smallest hairline scratch can be seen under close inspection under direct fluorescent light. The front baffle of the speakers have tiny hairline scratches that the vendor believes was caused by the grille during transit. I don’t necessarily agree but I must take their word for it.

These scratches are in the clear coat and buffing them out is possible but time consuming. We can not spend the time to do so, so our bad luck becomes something great for you.

I am going to B-stock the majority of these cabinets even though I feel they are significantly better than typical B-stock (probably A-stock from most manufacturers). I just don’t feel comfortable passing these off as A-stock even though I am sure the vast majority of you would be extremely happy with the finish. Most people who have already seen these just say “wow, beautiful”. In a typical room with typical lighting, the hairline scratches are VERY difficult to notice, and nearly impossible to notice from more than 1 foot away. Additionally, they are mostly underneath the grille frame.

I have tried to take some pictures but the hairline scratches don’t show up.

We have set B-stock pricing for these at 12% off. That brings a pair down to $755.04 + shipping. The 12% B-stock discount also applies to discounted package systems. Trust me when I say that this is an unbelievable bargain. Of course, our 30-day satisfaction guarantee still applies, as does the 7 year parts and labor warranty.

Please give us a call if you wish to place an order. If you already have a pending order for piano-black, we will contact you by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and patience!

c_smith
05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Wow. :eek: No more waiting for them to be put up on the website. What time do the phones open tomorrow? :D :D

c_smith
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Oh, one more thing...I'm ordering 3 across the front. Does the 12% come off of the individual one as well, or just the L/R pairs? Or are those even available as b-stock (with the longer grill)?

Quinn
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, one more thing...I'm ordering 3 across the front. Does the 12% come off of the individual one as well, or just the L/R pairs? Or are those even available as b-stock (with the longer grill)?

"The 12% B-stock discount also applies to discounted package systems." I read that as 12% on top of your package(3 or more speakers) discount.

c_smith
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks. Just noticed that myself. :o

Sam1000
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
I placed my order on Friday for B stock. James told me that I was #2 on B stock waiting list. Will mine ship tomorrow????

muzz
05-24-2007, 03:43 AM
B stock available huh?
Gee, I'd never buy "B" stock, what ya think I am? :D

I wanted to go natural, but I have been contemplating Black instead, because my speakers are within 2 inches of the bottom of my screen, and even the 170's I have now showed reflection ( untill I put Triple Black Velvet on top of them!!).

Considering I have to cover them a bit, I don't think it matters what color I get, it's the SOUND that matters....

Hmmmmmmm where did I hear that before?......... I let ya all know when I remember? :p

jermy4
05-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Dave are these new speakers shielded? Also, any updates on the natural b-stocks, I think I'm #3 on that list?

Quinn
05-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Dave are these new speakers shielded? Also, any updates on the natural b-stocks, I think I'm #3 on that list?

They asked me when I ordered whether or not I need shielding.

jermy4
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
They asked me when I ordered whether or not I need shielding.
I wasn't asked but I really need mine to be shielded.

GirgleMirt
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds like I'll be getting b-stock :) Hard to say no to a 100$ rebate given the description of the b-stock. Maybe I should have asked to put a few hairline scratches on my 340SE and give me a 100$ discount on them too when I purchased them ;) Besides, they should not have a huge impact on sound quality!

dallas
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
The 12% B-stock discount also applies to discounted package systems.

What is the standard discount for "package systems", assuming it is a standard percentage. I would guess this applies to "3 or more" speakers?

I can't find it specified anywhere in the forum or site.

curtis
05-24-2007, 01:12 PM
What is the standard discount for "package systems", assuming it is a standard percentage. I would guess this applies to "3 or more" speakers?

I can't find it specified anywhere in the forum or site.
If you use the "System Advisor", it looks to be 9%-10%. So take another 12% off that....pretty good deal!

jsotelo
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I've got a mantra I've been chanting in my head for the last few days and it goes something like this.

I love my 340SE system
It's the best system I've ever had
my 340's are only 3 months old
my room isn't the best
better speakers probably won't make that much of a difference
I don't NEED the Sierras
stop reading the reviews!

Seriously thou Dave

Congrats on another ground breaking product and it's nice to know I've got an "upgrade path" from the 340se should I ever want to take the plunge.

davef
05-24-2007, 03:03 PM

The Sierra's are not fully magnetically shielded. If you require full magnetic shielding, please let us know when you place the order. If you already have an order placed and you did not specify shielding, please call us ASAP.

Thanks!

shane55
05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I've got a mantra I've been chanting in my head for the last few days and it goes something like this.

I love my 340SE system
It's the best system I've ever had
my 340's are only 3 months old
my room isn't the best
better speakers probably won't make that much of a difference
I don't NEED the Sierras
stop reading the reviews!

Seriously thou Dave

Congrats on another ground breaking product and it's nice to know I've got an "upgrade path" from the 340se should I ever want to take the plunge.

Yeah... me too.
I just got a new pair of 170SE's for my office system... just before I read about these new beauties!
Upgrade-itis sux.:o

I just have to stop logging on to this site for a while or I'll have some new speakers coming my way...

shane

BOLTS
05-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I am sorry that you have had difficulties in the initial enclosers. James called today with the discount for the minor imperfections which I gladly took him up on. I'm looking forward to hearing the fruits of your long labor. Best of luck to you.

P.S.

I intend to bring the Sierra's to the next HT get together here in central Florida (mostly members of Audioholics and Sound &Vision). Our last one featured AV123 products and one by Usher (real nice little speaker for music).

jvillas
05-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi davef, sorry to here about the quality control issue. I hope you and your vender can agree on the source of the problen and work things out. To take a hit on your already slim margin has to hurt at least alittle bit. Sounds like the piano finish needs abit more care and attention than the natural finish.I'm just quessing here as I know nothing about about louspeaker cabinet production. I hope the issue is a minor one and easily corrected. :)

davef
05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Jvillas,

Thanks for the kind words... Yes, selling B-stock absolutely hurts the bottom-line. Truth is I am confident we could sell these as A-stock but I just don't feel right doing so.

We are presently negotiating with an expert piano repairman who looked at these and assured me that he could easily buff out the scratches (they are surface only).

I would say the natural finish is even more durable than our black matte finish. A little funiture polish or murphy's oil and wow -- good as new. I had a unit sitting outdoors for at least 2-years. We polished it up with a good furniture oil and it looks as good as new. Remarkable actually...

Any piano-black finish is high maintenance... It looks stunning but needs to be handled with great care. Hairline scratches are inevitable. The pair I had at home looked incredible and I thought I took immaculate care of them -- when I brought them into the office under direct fluorescent lighting, those tiny scratches caused by remote controls, empty cups, CD cases etc. become quite noticeable.

I am just happy that we are finally shipping and the performance and component quality is spot on. This is a difficult task as we are relying on many different vendors from all over the world.

Thanks for all the support!

jvillas
05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Hopefully the need for an expert piano repaiman will be short term and limited. My guess is that this is an unexspected expense. I don't know what is best whether to seek a long term contract at an agreed price, or whether to go with an as needed per unit basis where you negoiate a price for each repair. Of course all of us (entire Ascend Acoustics Community)hope this need wil simply go away,disappear,and become a glitch, a slight wrinkle, without inpact at the other end(final retail price).

I am amazed at your ability to juggle all aspects of your business successfully,and this being for just one loudspeaker.

With the introduction of the Sierra-1 I feel that I am learning about the loudspeaker busines and alot about Ascend Acoustics. Thank you for sharing.

One more hope, Hopefufully you will successfully negociate what you feel is a fair price for this service.

Abhi
05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/52657/high_gloss_wood_finishes_how_to_care.html

jvillas
05-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Abhi, I did'nt realize that much maintenance would be needed. Carefull consideration should be given to the long term beauty,of this finish. Thanks

debo
05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
The best polishing cloth is a cloth diaper!

Sangone
05-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Jvillas,

Thanks for the kind words... Yes, selling B-stock absolutely hurts the bottom-line. Truth is I am confident we could sell these as A-stock but I just don't feel right doing so.

We are presently negotiating with an expert piano repairman who looked at these and assured me that he could easily buff out the scratches (they are surface only).

I would say the natural finish is even more durable than our black matte finish. A little funiture polish or murphy's oil and wow -- good as new. I had a unit sitting outdoors for at least 2-years. We polished it up with a good furniture oil and it looks as good as new. Remarkable actually...

Any piano-black finish is high maintenance... It looks stunning but needs to be handled with great care. Hairline scratches are inevitable. The pair I had at home looked incredible and I thought I took immaculate care of them -- when I brought them into the office under direct fluorescent lighting, those tiny scratches caused by remote controls, empty cups, CD cases etc. become quite noticeable.

I am just happy that we are finally shipping and the performance and component quality is spot on. This is a difficult task as we are relying on many different vendors from all over the world.

Thanks for all the support!

I had the good fortune of picking up the piano black Sierra-1's (LCR) this past Thursday with the B Stock discount. I went home and briefly glanced at them (more to see the scale and the construction than to look for these hair lines). I just pulled them out again to look for any lines and couldn't find any.

David - these could have sold A Stock and if you hadn't mentioned it, I doubt many people would have noticed. Even though you've already mentioned it, it's difficult for me to find them. They are beautiful... :D

Now, I'm going to hook them up in my bedroom until my family room is ready (late next week). My pre/pro + amp combo did not arrive as scheduled so I will rely on my very old HK AVR25 to drive the speakers.

davef
05-27-2007, 05:53 PM
The best polishing cloth is a cloth diaper!

Actually, I don't recommend a cloth diaper. The very best polishing cloth for the piano black finish is a micro-fiber detailing rag. Available from nearly any automotive parts store.

davef
05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
David - these could have sold A Stock and if you hadn't mentioned it, I doubt many people would have noticed. Even though you've already mentioned it, it's difficult for me to find them. They are beautiful... :D

Thank you!

metalaaron
05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
i'd also recommend musical instrument stores for a good selection of microfiber cloths etc for pianos.

curtis
05-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Actually, I don't recommend a cloth diaper. The very best polishing cloth for the piano black finish is a micro-fiber detailing rag. Available from nearly any automotive parts store.
I got a stack of them from Costco a ways back.

BGHD
05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Plus, cloth diapers are not created equal. Some are more abrasive than others (esp. the single layer ones).

Jonnyozero3
05-28-2007, 07:07 AM

As a detail enthusiast, I have to say I was going to say the same thing... ;)

JasonColeman
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
As a parent of a child still in diapers, I was going to say the same thing, too! :D

J.