PDA

View Full Version : Sierra - Summary, Pricing and Shipping!

Pages : [1] 2

davef
05-18-2007, 05:42 AM
In summary, I think it is important to highlight the effort involved in bringing the Sierra-1 to market. This was an intense project with many highs and lows. What we have managed to accomplished was not an easy task. Getting five companies to cooperate and do their specific part was quite the challenge, each company being larger than us and most located in different countries. Language barriers aside, the time-zone difference alone was enough to make one crazy. This went on for over four years -- many of you have wondered what I was doing answering your emails at 2 and 3 in the morning ;) It may be a while before I can get back on a normal sleep schedule…

What we have accomplished has not been done before. Our market studies have concluded that there are a select few loudspeaker manufacturers that have also realized the substantial benefits of bamboo. I believe they exist in a small niche market and I am unsure if they have the technical know-how and engineering facilities we possess to maximize the potential of this material. These other loudspeakers start in the neighborhood of $4000/pr for bookshelf-sized speakers. We have also developed an exceptional piano-black finish for the bamboo cabinets, and I don’t believe this has been accomplished before.

I honestly do not believe a loudspeaker with this type of performance, build and component quality has ever been offered at anywhere near the price we are going to sell it for. Internet direct, retail or DIY kit, I feel the price is simply outstanding. Our cabinet vendor actually gasped when I told him what I intend to sell them for -- he was not happy about it and I believe this might, unfortunately, affect future pricing.

In addition, I thought it important to mention how we intend to handle production and quality control on the Sierra. These capabilities are unique to Ascend and are simply impossible from companies that assemble overseas…

All units will be hand-assembled in our factory. Each left/right pair will be precisely matched to within a ±1dB window from 200 Hz through 10 kHz. Included in every pair of Sierras will be a printout of the actual production line on-axis frequency response of the speaker, identified by serial number. This data is also stored in our production database for easy reference. We are so confident of the component quality that each Sierra will be covered by a comprehensive 7-year parts and labor warranty.

Innovation, performance, intensive quality controls and environmental-friendliness all precisely balanced in a truly unique loudspeaker worthy of the term “pride of ownership.”

I feel the Sierra is a considerable step up from our 170 SE and 340 SE. Please don’t fall into that audiophile trap where a speaker must sell for at least a certain price before it is worthy of consideration. We are all well aware of the high profit margins on those products. I feel the Sierra will compete with any (and lay waste to most) loudspeakers on the market today, in all factors, regardless of price. We have chosen to sell at a price point that we hope will allow most of you to enjoy our hard work and to shake things up a bit much like our CBM-170 did over seven years ago. ;)

So how does it sound? I think my wife summed it up best… we were listening to Fiona Apple at very loud levels and discussing what we heard. Suddenly we realized that we were speaking to each other at normal volume levels yet listening to very loud music. We were able to clearly hear each other distinctly and easily. It was quite an experience and something you should try for yourself. The Sierra is quiet and clean like few loudspeakers I have ever heard, yet it is dynamic and punchy, extremely refined and airy, and most important -- incredibly easy to listen to. I got completely lost listening to a track on Santana’s Supernatural, a CD that I have used to audition speakers since its first release (a CD that I have probably listened to at least 500 times). I heard a background keyboard on one track that I had never noticed before -- it was clear and distinct on the Sierra and I found it quite hypnotizing… I can go on and on about performance but after nearly 6000 words already, I think it best I come to a close and just say that I feel the Sierra is simply in a class by itself. This is a truly unique product and the release of this loudspeaker is my finest moment in the 25+ years I have been in this industry. I am just happy to finally be able to discuss it :p

So what the heck’s the price already???

We are going to offer these speakers at the absolute lowest price we can. Since the majority of the engineering time has been my own and engineers’ employed by other companies, we do not have to recoup the majority of the development costs. Thousands of hours have been spent on development, with the majority of it being my time, rather than employees’ time. I want to get the Sierra out there, in your hands – to experience the beauty of bamboo and, perhaps, make some positive changes in this industry. In order to do this, I have decided not to add developmental costs into the retail cost of the speaker.

Our introductory price for a pair of Sierra-1’s is $858 + $26 shipping for piano-black, $798 + shipping for natural.

The piano-black center is $438 + $20 shipping, while the natural center is $408 + $20 shipping

Our standard package price discounts apply for 3 or more speakers.

Due to the complexities of manufacturing, production volume is limited and slow and we fully expect this introductory pricing to increase by about $100 once the first production run is sold. We will absolutely TRY to keep the intro pricing for previous Ascend customers but I can’t guarantee it.

Many have asked if we will have a trade-up program --- yes, we most definitely will. Please email me for details but please be patient.

So when will these be available? Pending any hang-ups, we expect to start full production and shipping by Tuesday of next week :D

We hope to have the site updated with the new product for online purchasing by Sunday evening, but it could take a bit longer…

You may absolutely call and place orders for the Sierra starting tomorrow!!!

Enjoy, and thank you for your time and support….

craigsub
05-18-2007, 05:51 AM
David ... Tomorrow is Saturday. Can we really call and order then ?

davef
05-18-2007, 05:54 AM
David ... Tomorrow is Saturday. Can we really call and order then ?

Ha -- not for me.. Still Thursday.... have to get my usual 4 hours of sleep and then it will be tomorrow... Actually, the office will be open in 3 hours.

craigsub
05-18-2007, 05:59 AM
David, I will be on the phone @ 9 AM PDT. The center channel is the Sierra with the tweeter "re-configured", right ?

Will 170 SE's work as rear channels ? Or do I need 5 Sierras ?

davef
05-18-2007, 06:04 AM
David, I will be on the phone @ 9 AM PDT. The center channel is the Sierra with the tweeter "re-configured", right ?

Will 170 SE's work as rear channels ? Or do I need 5 Sierras ?

The only difference in the center is that we rotate the tweeter and include a full length grille. It is a great center channel... You could use the 170 SE as surrounds, the Sierra are smoother, cleaner and more refined, but the timbre is very similar. If you are stand mounting the rears, I would just go for 5 Sierra's but if you are wall mounting the rears, use the 170 SE.

AndrewM
05-18-2007, 06:08 AM
of course you NEED five... what kind of question is that !? ;)

drewface
05-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Our introductory price for a pair of Sierra-1’s is $858 + $26 shipping for piano-black, $798 + shipping for natural.

The piano-black center is $438 + $20 shipping, while the natural center is $408 + $20 shipping :eek: that's significantly less than what people were expecting this to sell for. that is unbelievable. i can't afford any just yet, but i will be looking into a pair of these for my bedroom system in the not too distant future, i think.

congratulations, dave, on producing what i am sure is a product that lives up to everything you say it does.

audibleconnoisseur
05-18-2007, 06:15 AM
i posted this in another thread also but how close are they to the htm200 timbre? i have installed the 200's inwall as you know so i am not going to pull them out but do want to know what they will sound like together.

great price!!! would like to know your thoughts on %better over 340se's. if you say the 340se are at 100%, would you say the sierra are 120%, higher, lower? or would you say the 340se's are 80% of the sierra?

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 06:24 AM
:eek: My jaw is on the floor. I may actually have to go into debt here.....not kidding. I have been on the fence on upgrading my 170's to the SE's, but this is REALLY tempting me to reach for the plastic!

audibleconnoisseur
05-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Wonder what Clark Howard would say about this? Don't do it man... nothing is worth debt! Ah, what am I thinking, this is music and Ascend we are talking about - so which finish are you going to get? :p

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Wonder what Clark Howard would say about this? Don't do it man... nothing is worth debt! Ah, what am I thinking, this is music and Ascend we are talking about - so which finish are you going to get? :p

You're NOT helping!!

audibleconnoisseur
05-18-2007, 06:37 AM
You're NOT helping!!

WHAT!? I retracted my thought process....... :rolleyes:

Hey, if you gotta, eat out a few less times this month, don't turn on the AC, water or gas. Don't drive for one week and you will free up plenty of money!!! :D

I hate to see people get into trouble b/c we "have to have" but I am with you on the AA train brotha' b/c I had to have them too and now I have a wonderful 5.1 340se m&c + 200rears w/HSU 2.3 to back them up and I love it every time I turn it on and up, up, up, up!!!!!

curtis
05-18-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm local!!

I'm loco!

dpristin
05-18-2007, 06:43 AM
So first it was a $1500-4000 range, and I willed myself to calm down and let it go... Now it's ~800 and it starts all over again! David, please tell me that classical music will not benefit from switching from 340s to Sierras!

moehop
05-18-2007, 06:48 AM
What do you guys think the trade up program will consist of?

curtis
05-18-2007, 06:49 AM
James is going to be very busy soon....no more slack time. :)

curtis
05-18-2007, 06:52 AM
i posted this in another thread also but how close are they to the htm200 timbre? i have installed the 200's inwall as you know so i am not going to pull them out but do want to know what they will sound like together.
Understanding Ascends goals on "non-colorization" of sound on all their speakers, my guess is the timbre match would be at least good.

jvillas
05-18-2007, 06:53 AM
davef, I hope you will find time this summer, or sometime soon to take a well deserved, and I'm sure needed vacation. You've been extremely generous with your time to us(Ascend owners), and Ascend Acoustics. Perhaps it is time to be at least alittle kind to yourself. Thanks goes to you, and and all that you have accomplished. I can only believe there is still more to come, Thanks

audibleconnoisseur
05-18-2007, 06:58 AM
davef, I hope you will find time this summer, or sometime soon to take a well deserved, and I'm sure needed vacation. You've been extremely generous with your time to us(Ascend owners), and Ascend Acoustics. Perhaps it is time to be at least alittle kind to yourself. Thanks goes to you, and and all that you have accomplished. I can only believe there is still more to come, Thanks

I agree Dave! If I ever get out that way again I would very much like to meet with you and shake your hand and thank you in person for your professionalism, your hard work and your dedication to your product. We appreciate your diligence and steadfast direction you have taken with Ascend. Good form and well played!!!

Grayson73
05-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Dave,

Before jumping on these, can you share a bit on what other Sierra speakers you have in mind and when they would be available?? We assume that since these are Sierra-1, there may be Sierra-2, Sierra-3, etc.

I'd hate to order these and then want the next series.

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Agreed! Dave, you deserve a vacation with your family. You have brought what appears to be an industry-shaking product within reach of most of us. The audio world will be scrambling to compete with the Sierra on all levels. Competition is a wonderful thing!

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Dave,

Before jumping on these, can you share a bit on what other Sierra speakers you have in mind and when they would be available?? We assume that since these are Sierra-1, there may be Sierra-2, Sierra-3, etc.

I'd hate to order these and then want the next series.

I'd hate to wait and then get hit by a bus before a "-2" is announced!! :eek:

Life's short.....enjoy it now!

c_smith
05-18-2007, 07:28 AM
What are the dimensions on these speakers? Or was that already posted? :o I thought I had read thoroughly, but I didn't see those specs anywhere. I'm thinking about ordering 3 and I need to make sure the L/R's will work with the pedestals on my stands, and that the center will fit in my tv stand. Is this info available?

Galwin
05-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Dave,

I am very much looking forward to hearing the new Sierra's! Thanks for the thorough descriptions. I did not expect that these would be priced under a grand, even considering the cost-value ratio of your other speakers. I have a few questions:

Can the TP - 24 stands for the 340SE's be used with the Sierra?

What is the recommended hieght for stands?

Does the same return policy apply?

Any description of sound characteristics in comparison to 340Se's?

Thanks,

Jim

curtis
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Dave,

I am very much looking forward to hearing the new Sierra's! Thanks for the thorough descriptions. I did not expect that these would be priced under a grand, even considering the cost-value ratio of your other speakers. I have a few questions:

Can the TP - 24 stands for the 340SE's be used with the Sierra?

What is the recommended hieght for stands?

Does the same return policy apply?

Any description of sound characteristics in comparison to 340Se's?

Thanks,

Jim
Dave posted this in the intro thread:

Exact same footprint as the 340 SE, but at 14.25" tall. 14.25" h x 7.5" w x 10.5" deep. Fits perfectly on the TP-24 stand. I feel the footprint of the speaker is perfect -- it actually appears to be smaller than a CBM-170 (but sounds even larger than a 340 SE)

Quinn
05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
I believe on the TP-24 stands the tweeter will be ~the same height as the 340S tweeter. The Sierra cabinet is ~2/3 the height of the 340.

Will there be bamboo and piano black TP-24s?

jermy4
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I really expected these to be priced at $1500+ Sign me up for a pair of natural finish Sierras. :D

craigsub
05-18-2007, 08:59 AM
I just ordered a pair in Piano Gloss, and James said it is the first pair ordered.

David ... any chance you can sign the back ? :)

GirgleMirt
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow, only the 1st pair?! I have called to order a pair too, supposed to get a call back in a few minutes... Actually, the guy on the other side (James?) said he was already doing another order (that was... hmm.. 5 minutes ago), maybe he was talking to you! hehe :D

Sign the back?! Actually... with a silver marker... Under the info plate, that would be cool :cool: I'd be up for it lol

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:02 AM
I just ordered a pair in Piano Gloss, and James said it is the first pair ordered.

Poor James.....he probably walked in with the phone ringing.

The signing of the back is a great idea...I have thought of that too, but guess you got the first pair. Need to get Dave one of those silver permanent markers.

GirgleMirt
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
ok well maybe before I'd like to see David's signature... Just so that it doesn't endup looking like someone just vandalized the speakers :D LOL

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
girgle...you went with the piano black too?

Quinn
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM

You're why the phone line was busy!

GirgleMirt
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
lol

yep I went with Piano black, stay in the Ascend tradition :)

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
When they start production, I should go over there and ask what pair are yours and Craig's.....and put my "mark" on them. :D

craigsub
05-18-2007, 09:25 AM
When they start production, I should go over there and ask what pair are yours and Craig's.....and put my "mark" on them. :D

Hey ... You keep those hands off my speakers. A man can only take SO much ... :D

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey ... You keep those hands off my speakers. A man can only take SO much ... :D
Who said anything about my hands? :D

Quinn
05-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Who said anything about my hands? :D

Who says you can't send Craig the moon! :D

craigsub
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
You guys are bad. Where is David ? We need crowd control ...

c_smith
05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Okay, I see where I missed the dimensions. My bust. Did I miss this as well–was the nominal impedance specified anywhere? 4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm? I'm just about to order 3 across the front. I think I might be a newly hooked member. :D

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Okay, I see where I missed the dimensions. My bust. Did I miss this as well–was the nominal impedance specified anywhere? 4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm? I'm just about to order 3 across the front. I think I might be a newly hooked member. :D
David posted somewhere else 8 ohms.

c_smith
05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Crap! That's two things I missed. Sorry for going over ground that's been covered. Trying to read all of this stuff while at work...when I should be working. :D

metalaaron
05-18-2007, 10:03 AM
hey, i want a cheesy poof!

save some for me! :cool:

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Got my natural finish pair ordered at lunch. James had to take care of Craig 1st, so I had to wait 20 minutes for him to call me back :cool:

My credit card will forgive me once these are hooked up and playing sweet music!

zkaudio
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
in the callback queue... :D

so... what is "family pricing" on 3 or more... ?

c_smith
05-18-2007, 10:22 AM
so... what is "family pricing" on 3 or more... ?

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I'm ordering 3 (L/R/C).

DPlettner
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
These threads are killing me.

Ascend just shipped me five CMT-340 SE's on April 24. They sound wonderful, and I am 100% satisfied. However, now I am thinking I should return the CMT-340's and get five Sierras. With the attractive pricing of the Sierras, the extra cost is not an issue. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine that the Sierras would sound much better than what I have now.

I guess I need to make up my mind soon. The clock is ticking on the 30-day return policy.

-Dave

Johnal
05-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't know whether i'm ecstatic or enraged! The pricing is out of my "buy something I don't need but have to have" range and the fact that it will likely only increase in price drives me nuts! If the price was over $1700 I could easily convince myself that I can't afford an upgrade like this and that I could just live my happy life with my current 340s...but now...well, now... I need a drink...

bikeman
05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
If the price was over $1700 I could easily convince myself that I can't afford an upgrade like this and that I could just live my happy life with my current 340s...but now...well, now... I need a drink...
Make that two drinks. Ascend has made the new speakers so affordable that I can almost justify the expense. If the price was more "reasonable," I wouldn't be wrestling with the decision at all. Thanks, Dave. Got me AGAIN. ;)

David

Quinn
05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Make that two drinks. Ascend has made the new speakers so affordable that I can almost justify the expense. If the price was more "reasonable," I wouldn't be wrestling with the decision at all. Thanks, Dave. Got me AGAIN. ;)

David

Final cost depends on how much you can sell your old Ascends for when everyone else is doing the same.

GirgleMirt
05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
The way I see it, so far, I haven't seen any other speaker which would make me want to upgrade from the 340SE. Not even at twice the price... It's not like Ascend is going to release another speaker which will be superior to the Sierra any time soon, and if the Sierra really has a similar price performance ratio to the 340E, then I'm actually SAVING money because I won't be tempted to buy a 2000$ (or maybe even more!) speaker from any other company.

So buying the Sierra, It's not actually spending money, It's SAVING money! :D

curtis
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
We need to start a "How to justify a Sierra purchase" thread in the Watercooler section.

Grayson73
05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Did anyone order 3 or more? Everyone so far has ordered a pair.

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
We need to start a "How to justify a Sierra purchase" thread in the Watercooler section.

For me, I think it's a midlife thing. I'm not buying a Vette, so these will have to do!!

dpristin
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
And at what age that "midlife thing" can be justifiably argued to your wife?..

Mag_Neato
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
And at what age that "midlife thing" can be justifiably argued to your wife?..

She's going through her own midlife crisis, so there's no issue whatsoever!

muzz
05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
You guys are bad. Where is David ? We need crowd control ...

LMAO

Curtis, ya dirty bastage!! :D

Grayson73
05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
L/C/R would be 1178+46 shipping for Natural and 1268+46 for Piano Black. It's a savings of $28 over buying separately, which is the same savings for three 340SEs.

I believe that the savings for 5 is $96 if I calculated correctly.

muzz
05-18-2007, 01:33 PM

David

Make that THREE drinks!!

Yes Dave, You got me 2..........

Now, I'm just wondering Black or the bamboo......

If I do the bamboo, I will HAVE to do my sub with the bamboo I have now....

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Dave, ya killing me bro....... then again, I did pay ALMOST NOTHING for my sweet sounding 170's , so I guess I can go the true route this time!!
I'll be calling shortly!!

EDIT: Wouldn't ya know it........
I JUST got my Federal Tax return today(may have been in the box for a couple of days, dunno- but just got it), so I won't even have to take cash outta the bank!!

curtis
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
go natural...it is good feng shui....and I want to see that bamboo sub!

craigsub
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Remember this one thing:

"It is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission".

craigsub
05-18-2007, 01:40 PM
LMAO

Curtis, ya dirty bastage!! :D

This is farging war !!!

Johnny Dangerously WAS a shining moment in American Cinema ... :D

muzz
05-18-2007, 01:40 PM
go natural...it is good feng shui....and I want to see that bamboo sub!

Heheheh

I wanna talk to Dave about the fraying first Curtis, maybe they dealt with that already... I think.......

muzz
05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
This is farging war !!!

Johnny Dangerously WAS a shining moment in American Cinema ... :D

:D :cool:

curtis
05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Heheheh

I wanna talk to Dave about the fraying first Curtis, maybe they dealt with that already... I think.......
Knowing Dave...I am sure they have if it was an issue.

Grayson73
05-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Is there a performance difference between the Natural finish and Piano Black finish?

curtis
05-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Is there a performance difference between the Natural finish and Piano Black finish?
I highly doubt it.

zkaudio
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
btw Lovan Affiniti 24 or 29 in. High Gloss Piano Black Speaker Stands AF2PP are a nice compliment to this set... :D

metalaaron
05-18-2007, 02:59 PM
it's time to tidy up the ol' music collection. piano black sierras are headed to Chattanooga. :p

mziegler
05-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Actually, there is a discussion about the influence of finish on the Sierras at www.6moons.com The reviewer found significant differences, especially when coupled with the audiofile equipment rack and platinum/diamond cables.

(I am just being silly here--no offense intended, especially to Grayson73--there is some stuff in magazines that naturally seem to inspire satire.)

muzz
05-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Actually, there is a discussion about the influence of finish on the Sierras at www.6moons.com The reviewer found significant differences, especially when coupled with the audiofile equipment rack and platinum/diamond cables.

I personally figured there would be SOME difference myself, just didn't know the extent.

EDIT: IMO ANY coating will somewhat alter the sound, even a wee bit...... how much? Only dave knows...... maybe not even enough to discuss.....

DPlettner
05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I called Ascend and discussed exchanging the 5 channel CMT-340 system that arrived three weeks ago for a five channel Sierra system. They were very accommodating about the exchange, so I placed an order. If all goes well, I should have the Sierras in a week.

-Dave

muzz
05-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I called Ascend and discussed exchanging the 5 channel CMT-340 system that arrived three weeks ago for a five channel Sierra system. They were very accommodating about the exchange, so I placed an order. If all goes well, I should have the Sierras in a week.

-Dave

Excellent!!

LUK how they sound DP

BradJudy
05-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Hmmm...maybe I'll sell off my shiny Aurum Cantus speakers to try out a pair of Sierras.

CT_Jeff
05-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I am excited about the Sierra-1’s, but I think they are a bit out of my $ range for now. Any chance there will be special pricing for the 340 trade ins?

I love my 200's but would really like to get 3 speakers for across the front.

Just like normal, I am just one winning powerball ticket away from what I want! :)

Congratulations on the announcement to the Ascend Acoustics group!

CT_Jeff

muzz
05-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I am excited about the Sierra-1’s, but I think they are a bit out of my $ range for now. Any chance there will be special pricing for the 340 trade ins?

I love my 200's but would really like to get 3 speakers for across the front.

Just like normal, I am just one winning powerball ticket away from what I want! :)

Congratulations on the announcement to the Ascend Acoustics group!

CT_Jeff

Call for that answer....

curtis
05-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I just got my 3 naturals...I will try and post pictures later tonight.

zkaudio
05-18-2007, 09:02 PM
you sob you beat me :P

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:03 PM
there was someone else picking up a pair as I was leaving....he is also a forum member.

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:09 PM
My daughter is watching "Dancing with the Stars"...so I snapped some pictures:

http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/153975715-M.jpg
http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/153975538-M.jpg
http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/153975642-M.jpg
http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/153975595-M.jpg

LawrenceJ
05-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Remove said daughter and get us a review of how they sound :p :p

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:22 PM
LOL!

I will do some listening after she goes to bed, but not sure if I will post after that.

I can tell you with the little music that I did play before we started watching TV, that Dave was not kidding about the bass character of the speakers.

Mike^S
05-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, I got the piano black. So far they are sounding fantastic. The impressive bass is the first thing I noticed among other things.

Here's some pics:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7812/img0577hs5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6344/img0578mw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9581/img0584ma8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

c_smith
05-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Wow. Both pairs look awesome. Also, I noted that neither of them have their Ascend badges affixed to the front. Is that optional? I hope so...I really like them completely clean on the front.

Are they open tomorrow? I wanna call in my order! :D

LawrenceJ
05-18-2007, 09:36 PM
I hate both of you :mad: ;)

I knew about these last week , and they do look better than I thought they would . I can only image how they sound. Curtis and Mike if you don't mind me asking how large are your respective rooms where the speakers are ?

ah well I have what I will call the most "unique" colored 340s on the way,(James and David liked them :p ) so I hope that I can at least impress some of you with them :)

zkaudio
05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
argg! u got em so fast!

Mike^S
05-18-2007, 09:42 PM
My room is about 15x20 and open to another area about 10x20. Unfortunately I can't play as loud as I'd like to right now. Don't want to disturb the neighbors. :cool:

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow. Both pairs look awesome. Also, I noted that neither of them have their Ascend badges affixed to the front. Is that optional? I hope so...I really like them completely clean on the front.

Yes...the badges are supplied in a little bag. I will be putting mine on.

curtis
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Curtis and Mike if you don't mind me asking how large are your respective rooms where the speakers are ?

My room is 14 x 18 x 9.

I will be turning mine up here for a short bit later.

davef
05-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Getting these out today was a surprise... we are not even setup for production yet but we did build a few pairs.. (both Curtis and Mike, [ Mike especially ;) ] were begging)

We were *supposed* to include the logos in a poly bag --- we decided to leave them off and let you decide. Unless requested, I think we will just avoid the logo altogether.

I will say one thing so far, I am changing my mind and going natural. The natural cabinets look better than the prototype samples. The grain is slightly different, so unique, this is natural wood so every pair is going to be somewhat unique.

Measurements from the fist cabinets built were dead on -- THAT was a relief :)

It has been a long day for me and I am heading home now to possibly get some sleep for the first time all week.

Mike -- it was really nice speaking with you and I truly hope you enjoy them! Curtis - Mike, please share your thoughts when you have the time.

Thanks again..

zkaudio
05-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Dave,

You recommending a "break in" period on these puppies?

muzz
05-18-2007, 09:54 PM
WTG Dave!! I have a feeling that Cialis won't be need for awhile for these two guys!!...... Geeeeeeez,maybe you should have charged more for the free subscription!!

Bahahaha!!

Congrats Guys!!

I am VERY envious ofyou suckahs(Boston hehehe)!

davef
05-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Dave,

You recommending a "break in" period on these puppies?

I generally recommend about 50-hours but to be perfectly honest, you would be better off asking both Mike and Curtis regarding that. Every pair I have listened to thus far has been very well broken in.

I am, however, taking home a fresh pair this evening :) Unsure if I will get any opportunity for critical listening this weekend though. I am seriously wiped out...

My inbox has never been more full. I will do my best to respond to every email but it is going to take some time...

muzz
05-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Fresh pair?
What is this world coming to?

We....... can't .....have.... this............... ;)

Mike^S
05-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Thank YOU Dave. These speakers really are something special. :)

davef
05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Fresh pair?
What is this world coming to?

We....... can't .....have.... this............... ;)

Ha - the piano black just won't work for me, 2 kids - the cat - my wife - the nanny.... I'm going natural

muzz
05-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Ha - the piano black just won't work for me, 2 kids - the cat - my wife - the nanny.... I'm going natural

Me 2 Dave.... although, I don't have a Nanny...... then again..... I don't haver any rugrats, maybe thats why!!

It WILL be Natural for me!!! :D

LawrenceJ
05-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Thank you very much Curtis and Mike , My house layout seems close to Mike's now I really cant wait to here how they sound :cool:

At any rate Dave recommended I stick with the 340s mainly on the room issue and I still agree for now ( Mike and Curtis are both gonna say that these are the greatest speakers ever I can feel it :D )

Dave you have multiple babies to deal with ,the real baby, The Sierra's, those odd folks over at avs ;) . You really do need to take a break this weekend and get a breather,and a Lunesta when you have 8 hours to devote to sleep :D ( like that is gonna happen)

curtis
05-18-2007, 11:06 PM
OK...just spent about 45 solid minutes listening to music. The speakers will be on all weekend....so if break-in is needed, they will get them.

The cabinet is SOLID, yet not extremely heavy.

The first thing notice is the bass. It is deeper and punchier than the 340SE. It can hit you in the chest.

I need to do some more comparison, but first perception is the highs are "sweeter", smoother, without being rolled off...they extend nicely.

The mids are as detailed as ever, but no added harshness...you hear everything. I think this is Dave's/Ascend's trademark.

These things also took all the power I wanted to give them....louder and louder and louder...they didn't flinch or get harsh. IMO they will take as much clean power as you could give them, and you will cry uncle first!

But the kicker for me so far with the Sierra has been the tranparency and imaging. Like there is no speaker there...just the instruments and voices in their spots across the stage.

muzz
05-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

curtis
05-18-2007, 11:18 PM
The cabinet is interesting. I can't see seams or joints....how do you do that?

boludaso
05-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Party at Curtis' house. I'll bring the chips, dip, and Boingo.

Congrats on the new speaks. Experiencing moments of jealousy, envy, mixed with a dash of hatred. ;)

bleair
05-19-2007, 01:59 AM

Congrats on the new speaks. Experiencing moments of jealousy, envy, mixed with a dash of hatred. ;)

Is that a dead man's party? Count me in!

Curtis is both generous with his taunting and yet oh so cruel. Tell us more. Tell us more. :)

How wide of a sweet spot are you getting? From your pictures it looks like your side walls are several feet away from the speakers? With the off axis FR plots posted so far I'm hopeful that people sitting outside the sweet spot will still get pleasent sound.

LawrenceJ
05-19-2007, 04:24 AM
Sounds like everything I was thinking it was going to be :)

So Curtis , would you say it fills the room with sound no problem?

Now if UPS would learn to run a damn business I would have my speakers instead I'm forced to wait till Monday. :mad:

curtis
05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
How wide of a sweet spot are you getting? From your pictures it looks like your side walls are several feet away from the speakers? With the off axis FR plots posted so far I'm hopeful that people sitting outside the sweet spot will still get pleasent sound.
Hey Brian.
The speakers are in the same places that my 340's were in when you were here before. The sound is nice no matter where you sit.

curtis
05-19-2007, 08:09 AM
So Curtis , would you say it fills the room with sound no problem?
No issue at all.

In my room, they sound at least as "big" as the 340's.

curtis
05-19-2007, 08:10 AM

You know...maybe I will have an "open house" of sorts next Sunday.

Mike^S
05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Looks like avsforum deleted the Ascend thread. How lame. :rolleyes:

muzz
05-19-2007, 11:06 AM

Of course......

I'm not a fan of the heavy handed tactics over there

curtis
05-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Oh well.

So my 7 year old daughter, who was with me last night when I picked up the speakers, met Dave and got to see the piano black finish.

She just told me she likes the piano black finish better. :rolleyes:

Then I told her if we got them, she would have to dust and clean them. :)

muzz
05-19-2007, 11:11 AM
" Thats OK Daddy, the Naturals look good enough, you should just stick with those"!!! LOL

Sam1000
05-19-2007, 11:17 AM

No, it's not deleted it's locked. I can still get to the earlier posts if I search for 'Ascend'.

Yeah, the reasoning was pretty lame. They have been hyping the 8g Pioneer Plasma there Since January and the product release date is in September, yet, they would not allow the discussion on a product that would be release this Tuesday.

BradJudy
05-19-2007, 11:21 AM
So my 7 year old daughter, who was with me last night when I picked up the speakers, met Dave and got to see the piano black finish.

You can just send me your naturals when you cave to your daughters wishes. :D

curtis
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
No, it's not deleted it's locked. I can still get to the earlier posts if I search for 'Ascend'.

Yeah, the reasoning was pretty lame. They have been hyping the 8g Pioneer Plasma there Since January and the product release date is in September, yet, they would not allow the discussion on a product that would be release this Tuesday.
There was another thread started last night....that one was deleted.

muzz
05-19-2007, 11:24 AM

I just looked, I don't see the 2nd thread, it's gone.
The 1st thread was locked.......

EDIT: Yeah, your talking about the 1st thread.

buzzy
05-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh well.

Then I told her if we got them, she would have to dust and clean them. :)She just might say yes, then you'll really be in trouble.

Are the specs for this all in one place somewhere? I know that wasn't the approach, but wondering if they ever got collected up in one spot.

Quinn
05-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I was waiting for that 2nd thread to get deleted. You can't thumb your nose at the AVS mods on AVS and expect them to let it slide. There were Ascend fans on that 2nd thread calling out the AVS mods after having a thread closed and a warning issued.

jeffrey r
05-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I currently have an Axiom system, and since we're moving from our NYC apartment to a house in a couple of months, I'm using it as an excuse to start fresh. Ascend is tops on my list, and had pretty much settled on the 340's. Now, the Sierras have intrigued me, but I am worried about the minimal color choices.

Just wondering, is the piano black finish really that hard to maintain? Reason I ask is, I have a wife, and I have a child. I just showed my wife the two color options, and she nixed the natural. So it would have to be piano black. But if these are going to be a pain to clean and maintain, and majorly prone to fingerprints of kids, pets, etc., it might turn me off from the Sierras. I've never really had to clean or maintain my Axioms--just a little dusting now and then.

Any chance of a plain (non-piano) black finish for these? I know the plain finish was one of the knocks against Ascends, but hey, sometimes simpler is better. Anyway, just curious. Thanks.

curtis
05-19-2007, 01:59 PM
It is no different than any other high gloss black finish. Black just shows stuff more...but when it is clean, it is extremely nice!

DPlettner
05-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I ordered the piano black finish, and I was also wondering about the best way to remove dust every week or so without scratching the finish over time. It would be nice if Ascend could recommend a good product. Perhaps these would work:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp84418_332828_sespider/scotch_brite/dusting_microfiber_cloth.htm

-Dave

merrymaid520
05-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Curtis,

After listening to the Sierras for a while, how big of an improvment are they over the 340SE's? I am very interested in upgrading and looking for some feedback? I imagine I can still utilize the 340 stands. Very exciting stuff!

Thanks,
Brandon

curtis
05-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I ordered the piano black finish, and I was also wondering about the best way to remove dust every week or so without scratching the finish over time. It would be nice if Ascend could recommend a good product. Perhaps these would work:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp84418_332828_sespider/scotch_brite/dusting_microfiber_cloth.htm

-Dave
I think a Swifter would do the trick.

curtis
05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Curtis,

After listening to the Sierras for a while, how big of an improvment are they over the 340SE's? I am very interested in upgrading and looking for some feedback? I imagine I can still utilize the 340 stands. Very exciting stuff!

Thanks,
Brandon
I have not gotten to listen to them as much as I would like at this point....kids take up a fair amount of time. :)

I hate to quantify/qualify how much of an improvement anything is over somethingelse. Is it better? IMO, a definite yes. Can I justify, to myself, the cost over a 340SE? Yes.

IMO, anyone shopping for a bookshelf size speaker in ANY price range should have a listen.

My standard cop-out answer is "You really need to listen to them yourself". :D

Yes....the 340 stands will work fine. I am using the stands I had made for my 340's.

GirgleMirt
05-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Yep nice stands, also the natural Sierra is a nice match to the rest of your furniture :)

How did you do the stands btw? Passed by a few shops to buy a stand (I'll probably end up putting 100$ for an average quality, sand fillable stands, if I can find a good one), I would have probably looked into DIY, but I seriously doubt I could make something which would match the Piano black... 24 inch stand is best right?

Looks like it's almost 200$ for good stands... at 100$ most look... cheap...
ex: 90$cdn http://solen.ca/pics/sp017l.jpg
178$cdn http://solen.ca/pics/sshm24.jpg

I don't even think the 178$ one looks that great... Actually I don't even like the golden spikes... looks cheesy to me... Though it looks much more solid than the 1st, sand filled shouldn't be pretty good... I'll have to look around to find something decent.. Some decent (cheaper than here it seems) looking ones from the "Alternate 340SE stands thread" (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1922), I'll have to check for cdn ship prices, might still come cheaper...

I'm sure the Sierras are speakers which deserve a serious stand though... :o

curtis
05-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I had my stands made by Brian Bunge of http://www.radhometheater.com

A little pricey...and the prices have gone up. My stands are 31" tall.

mziegler
05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
so I bumped the official Ascend threat at AVS. Perhaps they'll ban that too.

Grayson73
05-19-2007, 06:54 PM

(I am just being silly here--no offense intended, especially to Grayson73--there is some stuff in magazines that naturally seem to inspire satire.)

Sorry, this was a dumb question. I originally thought that the natural finish was bamboo and the piano black was another type of wood. :D

zkaudio
05-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I got these for my sierras....

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4993

they are piano black and pretty stable at only 24" high

curtis
05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Wow...those will look nice with piano black! I'll be over to check them out!

JasonColeman
05-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Anybody going to try to build bamboo-veneered stands? I've never worked with bamboo before, and I don't know what it costs locally, but it would be a helluva combo with these new speakers.

J.

muzz
05-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Anybody going to try to build bamboo-veneered stands? I've never worked with bamboo before, and I don't know what it costs locally, but it would be a helluva combo with these new speakers.

J.

Bamboo is fairly cheap, but it frays a bit when ya cut it.

GirgleMirt
05-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah that piano black stand doesn't look bad! Seems to be back ordered mostly everywhere though, they're also selling it on amazon.com, let's hope won't cost too much to ship to canada!

I can't see seams or joints....how do you do that?
Btw, for the cabinet, my guess is that they use 45° angles to make it seamless:

Left = cabinet with 45 degree angled cuts. Right= normal MDF 90 cuts
top = 3D
2nd = side view of a cut board
3rd = top view
4th= outside view of seams
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/girglemirt/misc/cabinet.jpg

That ends up making a cabinet where you can't see any joint, but as you can imagine, the cuts really and angles really have to be perfect, otherwise it won't work.

Mag_Neato
05-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Curtis, I'm jealous that you live where you do and were able to get a pair so quickly! BUT.........I don't have to pay sales tax :D !

I'm excited that you think it is a worthwhile move up from the 340's, and from your initial impressions it sounds like an awesome speaker.

The fact you cannot detect any seems in the cabinetry is a direct result of the laminating technique. Imagine a 1/4" thick sheet of bamboo. Now imagine that sheet on a CNC machine being milled to the exterior shape and size needed, and the internal opening milled out to the desired shape and size. Now take however many of those sheets needed, each machined to it's desired dimesions, and laminate them together like a big sandwich. You will not have any corner joints. It will in effect be a monocoque construction. Very strong and relatively lightweight.

I can't wait to get my pair :cool:

GirgleMirt
05-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Nope... doesn't look like they don't build it like that.

Take a look at the 'sheets' arrangement: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2597

You can see that the cabinets are not made in this fashion when you're looking at the layout of the 'sheets'. If it was the case, you'd see on the top the sheets go from side to side instead of front to back, and you would see no 'sheets' demarcation on the front.

Take a look at my drawings, I'm very confident they're build like that :)

Mag_Neato
05-21-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm thinking something similar to this.....

audibleconnoisseur
05-21-2007, 07:44 AM
When will the Sierra be on your website so we can review all specs side by side?

How did you get better, stronger "punchier" (curtis or craig...) bass response from one driver over two that are the same size?

GirgleMirt
05-21-2007, 07:44 AM
yeah I know, that's what I'm saying, the pattern of the sheets doesn't match. ill pull up the image

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/nat3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/girglemirt/misc/pattern.jpg

On your grain pattern, the different bamboo sheets would fit on top and front, and left/right would be only 1 sheet showing no... pattern at all..

Sierra has many different sheets on all sides, and top/bottom/sides doesn't match together :)

Mag_Neato
05-21-2007, 07:48 AM
I get your point, but maybe Dave can confirm one way or the other. :confused:

GirgleMirt
05-21-2007, 08:10 AM
I'd be willing to bet a pair of Sierra 1 they make it this way :p

For MDF, the method you describe make sens, but even then I would think it's somewhat expensive to make it this way since you get a lot of unused wood, (waste of $ and materials, see environment).

In contrast, there's much less wasted wood for the 45 degree angles cuts, and also the process to cut is simpler and cheaper, no need to cut a square in the center, just 45 degree cut on the sides. The cuts required are also lot more much fewer, and reading about the strength of bamboo, that must be a good thing :)

The end result, well you're seeing it, no seams, ultra strong, really a great way to build cabinets. The only thing, as I said, it needs to be exact, because if the pieces doesn't fit perfectly, then it'll be HORRIBLE and the seams will appear as gaps/cracks or somethings will stick out... But no seams!

I'd have done my sub that way if I had better tools and skills :D

Actually, the method you described doesn't really make much sens for a square cabinet... Much more cuts, LOTS of wasted wood (imagine all the cut squared portions in the center of the center sheets... Could make a LARGE block of MDF with it... surely enough wood for 1 or maybe even 2 other cabinets), so wasted $ and bad for the environment...

I guess if you want to build really complex shapes, and you can't use regular MDF boards yeah, then it might be viable (see Gershman acoustic opera sauvage construction for example on the bottom of: http://www.gershmanacoustics.com/construction.html) But for rectangular cabinet, might as well use the usual construction, the one I drew on the right side... Just as strong, no waste, much fewer cuts. Or, the 45 degree if you want no seams.

Not to mention that to make complex shapes like the Opera sauvage, you need really expensive machinery. Which would only, again, be a waste for a 'regular' square cabinet :)

Mag_Neato
05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm envisioning a bamboo-cabinet subwoofer, using a larger version of the Sierra's woofer made strictly for tummy-massaging, ear-pressurizing bass!!

Dread Pirate Robert
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
How did you get better, stronger "punchier" (curtis or craig...) bass response from one driver over two that are the same size?

Dave could answer with a lot more detail, which goes without saying, but for one thing, it must be that the Sierra-1's woofer is significantly stronger and has greater excursion than those of the 340SE. In order to maintain or improve on the quality of the sound, a larger motor must be used, as well as significantly more power--about twice as much power as the 340SE requires for equal volume--but in the grand scheme of things, the overall efficiency at a relatively mild current load is good.

Of course, the new cabinet also plays a major role in keeping the sound "focused" where it should be, helping the single woofer sound good while producing deeper output.

curtis
05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry...I missed this, but I think Robert has it covered.

Comparing to the 340SE, and as good as it is, you have to remember that the Sierra is a totally different design and different parts. Two drivers doesn't mean a speaker has better output or extension than a speaker that has one.

In briefly comparing the Sierra to the 340SE, the Sierra definitely has more....it plays deeper and is punchier. We also thought it seperated instruments better (mziegler, correct me if I got the "we" part wrong). It plays every bit as "big" as the 340.

My analogy: It takes itself away from the sound. I have said before that the 170's/340's were like open windows to the music.

dallas
05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Given (assumption) that the Sierra's will be audibly better than the 170's and the 340's (based on the 170's tech), can we infer that using the S-1's up front with 170's/340's on the sides/rear would be ill-advised? Where as, the 170's and 340's could (so it seems from my reading) be mixed without noticing an audible difference.

curtis
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I am using 170SE's as surrounds....actually, I have classics for the rear surrounds.

I have not done any multi-channel music listening yet, I but I have skimmed through some movies that were playing on TV, and those effects seem to be fine.

I would like to have Sierras for my side surrounds, I just have to figure out how to mount them without harming the finish.

Mag_Neato
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Curtis, I see you have the Sierra center. Have you tried the 340SE center with the Sierras, and if so do they match sonically?

curtis
05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Ed,

I have no reason to think it would be a bad match.

I will try the 340SEc when I have time.

One thing I want to say is that I believe accurate sound is a goal David has always had, so the timbre of all the Ascend speakers will be, in the very least, similar.

Dread Pirate Robert
05-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Given (assumption) that the Sierra's will be audibly better than the 170's and the 340's (based on the 170's tech), can we infer that using the S-1's up front with 170's/340's on the sides/rear would be ill-advised?

Obviously, it would be a compromise to some degree--the only questions are how much in practical use and whether it would be worthwhile to get a full set of Sierra-1s all around, which are both primarily subjective and dependent on the individual owners and their setups. For multi-channel music, it would be ideal to have identical speakers all around, because typically the surround channels contain much more than just diffuse ambience or effects; placing the speakers at the same height would also be ideal. For home theater use, while I think the notion of the surrounds being the least critical speakers because they reproduce so little sound relative to the other speakers has generally been overstated of late, there is much demonstrable truth to it and therefore more room to compromise without missing out on much. The main caveat would be that while this is what people generally expect today, there is no technical differentiation between the front and surround channels in the discrete soundtrack formats, so in theory, the situation could change in the future.

That's the big picture, but I think the more specific question here is whether matching 170/340 surrounds to S-1 fronts is more or less analogous to matching HTM-200 surrounds to 170/340 fronts, which many people apparently do satisfactorily. I haven't heard the S-1 (or the HTM-200, for that matter), so I cannot yet offer an opinion, but hopefully someone else could address this issue. That said, I would be rather surprised if the speakers didn't mesh well with regard to timbre, limitations aside.

As for myself, I decided with relative ease (compared to most of my decisions) to go with identical speakers (170SEs) all around. I've always wanted such a setup just so I knew that I wasn't compromising in terms of timbre-matching or capability relative to the soundtrack formats, and I do listen to some multi-channel music. I compromised for home theater a bit by placing my rear surrounds higher in order to simulate the expected type of sound field, and thus far have not found this to impact 5.1 music reproduction objectionably. However, I am now sorely tempted to try out the Sierra-1, as pleased as I am with my 170SEs. Let's see, Dave made the exact improvements I thought he needed to make and offers them at the price that I was hoping for, yet it makes me suffer...what kind of twisted hobby is this?! ;)

dallas
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Obviously, it would be a compromise to some degree--the only questions are how much in practical use and whether it would be worthwhile to get a full set of Sierra-1s all around, which are both primarily subjective and dependent on the individual owners and their setups. For multi-channel music, it would be ideal to have identical speakers all around, because typically the surround channels contain much more than just diffuse ambience or effects; placing the speakers at the same height would also be ideal. For home theater use, while I think the notion of the surrounds being the least critical speakers because they reproduce so little sound relative to the other speakers has generally been overstated of late, there is much demonstrable truth to it and therefore more room to compromise without missing out on much. The main caveat would be that while this is what people generally expect today, there is no technical differentiation between the front and surround channels in the discrete soundtrack formats, so in theory, the situation could change in the future.

That's the big picture, but I think the more specific question here is whether matching 170/340 surrounds to S-1 fronts is more or less analogous to matching HTM-200 surrounds to 170/340 fronts, which many people apparently do satisfactorily. I haven't heard the S-1 (or the HTM-200, for that matter), so I cannot yet offer an opinion, but hopefully someone else could address this issue. That said, I would be rather surprised if the speakers didn't mesh well with regard to timbre, limitations aside.

As for myself, I decided with relative ease (compared to most of my decisions) to go with identical speakers (170SEs) all around. I've always wanted such a setup just so I knew that I wasn't compromising in terms of timbre-matching or capability relative to the soundtrack formats, and I do listen to some multi-channel music. I compromised for home theater a bit by placing my rear surrounds higher in order to simulate the expected type of sound field, and thus far have not found this to impact 5.1 music reproduction objectionably. However, I am now sorely tempted to try out the Sierra-1, as pleased as I am with my 170SEs. Let's see, Dave made the exact improvements I thought he needed to make and offers them at the price that I was hoping for, yet it makes me suffer...what kind of twisted hobby is this?! ;)

I can't disagree with anything there, I pretty much feel the same way in most/all of your points. The utopia of uncompressed 7.1 channels on the current gen disc's is finally here, and I don't want to miss a lick of it.

At a rudimentary level, I have two competing thoughts in my head.

1) If the sierra is "Better" than previous ascends, then common sense dictates the others will sound "worse". (Who can disagree with that staement?)

2) All the ascends are built to sound accurate and without coloration, so they should work together well, with little noticable differences.

These questions lead me to beleive that I have way too much common sense, and way too little audio intelligence, which will likely result with me compensating for the lack of intelligence with 1 plastic credit card, resulting in good news for Dave and the sierra line.

dan121
05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Very cool news. I won't be updating for sure due to my room being small and already pushing it with my previous budget.

c_smith
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey, I know that the Sierras were to be added to the site, barring any problems, by Sunday evening. Is there new ETA on when they'll be up and we can place our order online?

Quinn
05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey, I know that the Sierras were to be added to the site, barring any problems, by Sunday evening. Is there new ETA on when they'll be up and we can place our order online?

Hopefully they are busy building my Sierras instead. :)

zkaudio
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Hopefully they are busy building my Sierras instead. :)

Amen

BOLTS
05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
What kind of stands are you people using (going to use) for the Sierra-1? As soon as I get a return authorization on the two 170-se and 340 center channel purchased just under a month ago I am pulling the trigger on the Sierra's front and center.

Abhi
05-22-2007, 07:29 PM
How much do they weigh?

BOLTS
05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
The size matches the 340 which is 26 pounds so I'm guessing the weight should be similar. However I do not know this. Perhaps someone will chime in.

drewface
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
The size matches the 340 which is 26 pounds so I'm guessing the weight should be similar. However I do not know this. Perhaps someone will chime in.i think only the footprint is the same as the 340s, meaning they are the same width and depth, but they are shorter since it is only one woofer as opposed to two. i imagine this would make them lighter since the cabinets are smaller, but any stand that works for the 340s should work great for the sierras

curtis
05-22-2007, 08:37 PM
drewface is right.

The Sierras are about 2/3rds the height of the 340's....and did not seem quite as heavy to me.

http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/153975538-M.jpg

zkaudio
05-22-2007, 11:06 PM
What kind of stands are you people using (going to use) for the Sierra-1? As soon as I get a return authorization on the two 170-se and 340 center channel purchased just under a month ago I am pulling the trigger on the Sierra's front and center.

dude... lovan affinity piano black 24" look to be a nice match

davef
05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
How much do they weigh?

Hi Abhi,

Speaker weighs in at 19lbs each. Shipping weight for a pair is 42 lbs.

davef
05-23-2007, 12:02 AM

Hi c_smith,

We are having some custom programming added to our shopping cart which is taking a bit longer than we expected. In addition, I thought it best to give forum members and others that "know" about them first dibs before they are on the site.

Give us a call if you want to get an order in.

Take care!

Mag_Neato
05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
No tracking number or shipping info yet :(

I was hoping my naturals would have shipped yesterday.

Curtis, I hate you.......in a nice sort of way!! :D

Quinn
05-23-2007, 09:58 AM
No tracking number or shipping info yet :(

I was hoping my naturals would have shipped yesterday.

Curtis, I hate you.......in a nice sort of way!! :D

I think a lot of us were hoping to get them in time for the holiday weekend.

curtis
05-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Sorry. :)

Really, I am.

Quinn
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Sorry. :)

Really, I am.

Oh, SHUT UP! We all hate you already! :)

JasonColeman
05-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, no word on shipping here either...too bad. James said that they've been overwhelmed and that they delayed shipping by at least one day. I'm hoping to hear at some point this afternoon, but I'm not going to bank on it.

J.

Mag_Neato
05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I got the word from James about the delay as well. They needed to make sure all documentation was prepared. They have been slammed since the release announcement.

I hope to have a confirmation by this evening.

curtis
05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
I got the word from James about the delay as well. They needed to make sure all documentation was prepared. They have been slammed since the release announcement.

I hope to have a confirmation by this evening.
Ahh yes.....that was the downside to picking up on Friday. I got no documentation and have to go back to get it.

Mag_Neato
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Ahh yes.....that was the downside to picking up on Friday. I got no documentation and have to go back to get it.

Boo-----hoo! I'm crying big boo-boo tears for ya :rolleyes:

randyb
05-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I am patiently waiting for mine too (well maybe not patiently as I have written James more than once), but I had to laugh at the flak Curtis is getting. Sorry, Curtis, but some of the posts giving you a hard time are pretty funny. Of course, you have the last laugh because you have the Sierras:)

curtis
05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
hahahaah....

I don't want to make the wait seem any longer for you guys.....

Grayson73
05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Craigsub and Girglemirt, did you get yours yet? I believe you were the 1st few to order.

boludaso
05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I've got your back Curtis. Thats why we live in socal. and the weather. I've been to the "factory" also, but not to pick up Sierras. So I cant brag as much.

when are you going to give us a detailed review of those beauts?

GirgleMirt
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Nothing so far, but I guess it's going to take a while for me because I'm in Canada. :o

curtis
05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I've got your back Curtis. Thats why we live in socal. and the weather. I've been to the "factory" also, but not to pick up Sierras. So I cant brag as much.

when are you going to give us a detailed review of those beauts?
Thanks bud.

I have much high praise for this speaker at the moment, I would much rather have people over to listen to it.

David has posted more than once that he would put his creation up against any other bookshelf speaker at any price, and I intend to do just that. It is a matter of finding willing owners and shops, because I do not have deep pockets.

That said...if anyone wants to come over for a listen, you are more than welcome...just drop me a line. I just charge a little housework. :D

zkaudio
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I ordered around 9am on the first day of availability and still haven't gotten the call that mine are ready to pickup... I'd say they took a ton of orders, which explains the delay... along with the obvious kinks that will arise from the first few production runs.

Quinn
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I just opened my e-mail to a receipt from Ascend for charging my card. :) Ascend doesn't charge until they build. I hope that means UPS will send me a tracking number tonight.

buzzy
05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Summary/specs -

"Exact same footprint as the 340 SE, but at 14.25" tall. 14.25" h x 7.5" w x 10.5" deep. Fits perfectly on the TP-24 stand. I feel the footprint of the speaker is perfect -- it actually appears to be smaller than a CBM-170 (but sounds even larger than a 340 SE)"

Tweeter: 26mm high-definition pre-coated fabric dome manufactured by SEAS of Norway
Woofer: 5.25” long-throw injection molded mineral-filled polypropylene woofer, cast aluminum frame

Read more about the drivers here:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2600

"Efficiency is about average, to gain this type of bass response - you must sacrifice efficiency. My numbers indicate 87dB.

Average impedance is 8 ohms with a minimum impedance of 5 ohms. Impedance is VERY linear and the speaker is an easy load for all receivers and amps.

Because of the efficiency drop compared to our other products (which were all high-efficiency), I recommend a minimum of 50 watts."

"Speaker weighs in at 19lbs each. Shipping weight for a pair is 42 lbs."

"Our introductory price for a pair of Sierra-1’s is $858 + $26 shipping for piano-black, $798 + shipping for natural. The piano-black center is $438 + $20 shipping, while the natural center is $408 + $20 shipping. Our standard package price discounts apply for 3 or more speakers."

Max power handling?
Shielded?
Frequency response?

Quinn
05-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Shielding is optional as few, that set up HT, have a CRT anymore for it to matter. Ascend called me to determine if I needed shielding.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/sr1_onaxis_uns.gif

"The accurate anechoic -3dB point of the Sierra is 44Hz. No bumps to provide added warmth, just accurate and exceptionally punchy bass, no bloat or muddiness. You can expect in-room response to be -3dB at about 40Hz, while still providing clean and detailed mids. I think the bass response from this speaker will surprise you It is deeper and more dynamic than many “full range” floorstanders I have auditioned."

I'll let Dave answer on the max power but I'm guessing it is a ton.

JasonColeman
05-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Mine shipped out yesterday, but won't be here until the 30th...damn you distant California! :D

J.

buzzy
05-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Thanks Quinn

Mag_Neato
05-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Got my tracking # and receipt! May 30 delivery. I thought Calee-for-nee-ah was closer than that!!!

Yeeee-Haaaaaa!!!

Quinn
05-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Got my tracking # and receipt! May 30 delivery. I thought Calee-for-nee-ah was closer than that!!!

Yeeee-Haaaaaa!!!

Holiday weekend. Mine will be in the Houston distribution center Friday afternoon and I won't get them until Tuesday. :(

ebh
05-24-2007, 08:53 AM
man, i'm very jealous of all of you. ;) i look forward to some impressions (and pictures) once the speakers arrive. maybe when I move to LA in Sept. I will be able to pick up a set of 3, and move my 170s or 200s to an office or kitchen or something.

randyb
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
30th delivery

dallas
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
FYI- considering the pristine finish on the S-1's, and that they are going immeadiately out the door with no shelf time, everyone may want to be careful about what they set them on the first month or so. Finish's like that usually take a full month or two to fully harden and dry out. Just a heads up. I'm sure no one want's to pick up a speaker after 5 months and find it partially adhered to a table and chipped when you picked it up to move it.

eagerly awaiting everyone honest and objective reviews, especially in comparison to the 340's

Mag_Neato
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, my comparison will be full circle from the speaker that started the legend of Ascend...the classic 170. I considered the SE upgrade, but could never get myself to box them up and ship them to Ascend for the conversion.

I will have the opportunity to see where Dave has taken loudspeaker design from his original creation. I can't wait!

JohnnyCasaba
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, my comparison will be full circle from the speaker that started the legend of Ascend...the classic 170. I considered the SE upgrade, but could never get myself to box them up and ship them to Ascend for the conversion.

I will have the opportunity to see where Dave has taken loudspeaker design from his original creation. I can't wait!

Cool, as I still have a full classic setup (4 -170's and 340c) I'll be really interested in your thoughts. Did you get the center too?

Mag_Neato
05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Just a pair of naturals! I have been using an older B&W 600 center with decent results. I'm worried that the Sierras will lay it to waste. I would then have to buy a Sierra center(or used 340SE). Keeping my fingers crossed!!

I'm also hoping I will not feel the need to replace my Denon AVR!!

zkaudio
05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
for those of you who have received your orders or tracking #'s already, did any of you order the center channel speaker w/ horizontal tweeter?

curtis
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes, I have the Sierra center.

I have an Ascend owner coming over this evening for a listen....you are welcome too.

Quinn
05-24-2007, 02:14 PM
for those of you who have received your orders or tracking #'s already, did any of you order the center channel speaker w/ horizontal tweeter?

I've got one on the way too.

Johnal
05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I too have bit the bullet and placed my order for the Sierra-1's. As excited as I am, I'm worried that I'm expecting too much of a difference and may end up dissapointing myself.

Before they come in I'll probably spend a few days listening to my favorite music without my sub and just really memorize the way it sounds since I won't be able to do a side by side comparison. I think if I even notice a slight difference I'll be more than happy.

Anyone else makin' the jump from the 340 classics to the Sierra's?

curtis
05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Johnal...you could have just taken your 340's to my place to compare with Sierras.

Johnal
05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Johnal...you could have just taken your 340's to my place to compare with Sierras.

haha...i was going to wait till i got home tonight to message you and see if you still had your Sunday free. I don't have to swap out my 340s till Tuesday so I was hopin' i could test them against your Sierra's but didn't want to count my chickens...err...eggs...uh, I didn't want to count my poultry products before they hatched. ;P

curtis
05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
haha...i was going to wait till i got home tonight to message you and see if you still had your Sunday free. I don't have to swap out my 340s till Tuesday so I was hopin' i could test them against your Sierra's but didn't want to count my chickens...err...eggs...uh, I didn't want to count my poultry products before they hatched. ;P
Mid to late afternoon on Sunday is good right now.

Johnal
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Mid to late afternoon on Sunday is good right now.

That's perfect seeing as how I generally don't wake up till after noon on weekends. :)

mziegler
05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I think if I even notice a slight difference I'll be more than happy.

Anyone else makin' the jump from the 340 classics to the Sierra's?

Based on your criteria I can guarantee you will be happy.

Just based on the sound the price difference between the two is quite appropriate. Throw in the fact that the Sierra is smaller and better looking...

I only had about 45 minutes of listening yesterday, but what a 45 minutes. I put on my usual test tracks and I was blown away.

At Curtis's the differences were subtle, but they were definitely there. My room is much worse acoustically, and the differences between the 340 and Sierra seemed much greater.

Dave mentioned in an email to me that he thought the Sierras would sound better in my room, but I don't remember what he said. I hope he chimes in here and explains (I think I deleted the email).

I got to meet Dave yesterday when I picked up my speakers. Just thought I'd rub it in.

Dave, don't read the following since it may give you ideas: The value of these speakers is off the charts, like all Ascend products. I listened to a very large number of speakers in comparison to the 340, and it held its own (actually beat) every one, even some costing as much as $1,200. Curtis and I are going to do a number of comparisons with much more expensive speakers, and I think the results will be similar.

My only regret is not being able to listen this weekend. I'll drown my sorrows while I down another glass of wine as I dinner with my friends from the bay area.

davef
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
How much do they weigh?

Shipping weight is approximately 42 pounds/pair. Each individual speaker is about 19.5 lbs.

smithb39
05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I ordered a LRC in Natural last night. I had a hard time deciding, but just liked the look and with kids thought it would be easier. I just hope Dave will come out with some surrounds to match.

Was planning a 7.1 purchase later in the year, but thought I would give them a try. Until HT is finished they will sit next to the HDTV so I went with 100% shielding.

This is my first Ascend purchase so don't have anything to compare against.

Only problem is I don't have a receiver to drive them, better get looking.

Brent

curtis
05-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Until HT is finished they will sit next to the HDTV so I went with 100% shielding.

The only time you need shielding is if the TV is CRT based.

Johnal
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM

Do you know if by default they are making them with shielding or without? I forgot to specify while ordering.

Sam1000
05-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Do you know if by default they are making them with shielding or without? I forgot to specify while ordering.

If yo need shielding, yo need to call them asap. That's what one of the message said from Dave.

smithb39
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Yes it is.

Thanks should have mentioned that,
Brent

Johnal
05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
If yo need shielding, yo need to call them asap. That's what one of the message said from Dave.

ah...slipped past me, thanks. I actually DON'T need the shielding and just wanted to verify what their default method was.

smithb39
05-25-2007, 10:20 AM
For what's it's worth nice gentleman on the phone last night said they are already 80% shielded only need 100% of being placed next to a CRT.

muzz
05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Just ordered a front threesome of naturals!!

COME ON DADDY!!!!

Yeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

DPlettner
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
My daughter is watching "Dancing with the Stars"...so I snapped some pictures:

http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/153975595-M.jpg

Hi Curtis,

Is that a Sierra center in this picture? The grill looks like it is longer on the center to cover the whole front of the speaker. The side speakers would look odd in a horizontal position since the grill leaves the bottom part of the front exposed.

Thanks,
Dave

muzz
05-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Curtis,

Is that a Sierra center in this picture? The grill looks like it is longer on the center to cover the whole front of the speaker. The side speakers would look odd in a horizontal position since the grill leaves the bottom part of the front exposed.

Thanks,
Dave

Yes, the Sierra Center has a rotated Tweeter, and a full length grille.

Other than that, I BELIEVE it's the exact same speaker.

DPlettner
05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Yes, the Sierra Center has a rotated Tweeter, and a full length grille.

Other than that, I BELIEVE it's the exact same speaker.
Thanks Muzz.

Did Dave even bother rotating the tweeter in view of the symmetry? In the crossover thread, he stated "OPPIX™ also allows the Sierra to perform exceptionally well as a vertical or horizontal main and a vertical or horizontal center."

I got a notification that my 5 piano black "B" stock Sierras shipped today, so I will probably have them on Tuesday.

-Dave

Edit: Never mind, I see where he said the tweeter is rotated.

muzz
05-25-2007, 09:17 PM
NP, thats why we are all here bud.

ebh
05-26-2007, 08:46 AM
curtis, do you think the bamboo clashes with the other light wood around (stands, your media center, etc.)? From the picture it looks like it works fine, but wanted to get your opinion.

Just wondering b/c my stands are a light pine (sorta the color of all your wood), my media stand a light maple (more like the hsu sub tucked in the corner) and my sub a maple similar to the pine. (yes my living room already clashes a bit, but I'm just curious if adding the bamboo would make things even more disastrous.) I'm considering the sierras as a post-bar present to myself.

curtis
05-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I would like to preface the following by saying that I don't claim to be an interior decorator by any means. :)

I don't think it clashes at all.

My A/V stand/rack is pine....faily light. My speaker stands are light maple. My Hsu sub is thier maple finish. I think it all looks fine together.

Mag_Neato
05-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Sierras are in Ohio.....should have'em in the morning!!

JasonColeman
05-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah....mine landed in Maumee around noon today (Tuesday). Should be here tomorrow afternoon! :) I'm excited to get them unpacked, hooked up, and heard!

J.

zkaudio
05-29-2007, 09:42 PM
picked mine up today, just hooking em up now, will be listening for the next few hours

curtis
05-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Looking forward to it.

debo
05-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Ed, Does that mean your blowing off work today!

JasonColeman
05-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Just checked and mine are out for delivery! Now I just need to find the time to make some bamboo-veneered stands...:eek:

J.

Mag_Neato
05-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Ed, Does that mean your blowing off work today!

:D .....Naw, can't hook'em up for a while. I'm moving Friday and won't have my system unboxed and hooked up for a while. It is going to kill me to have to wait, but at least I can take them out of the box and gaze lovingly at them!!

Mag_Neato
05-30-2007, 06:52 AM
THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!

I have the box under my desk at work :) :) :)

Now I won't be able to get anything done!!

c_smith
05-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Now I won't be able to get anything done!!

You mean not getting anything done, like, taking pictures of them done? :D

Mag_Neato
05-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I will try and unpack them later since I really want to see the bamboo cabinets. Should I take full 5MP pics, or reduce the rez to post on here?

curtis
05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
I will try and unpack them later since I really want to see the bamboo cabinets. Should I take full 5MP pics, or reduce the rez to post on here?
If you want to take the full 5MP pics, I can host them for you.

Mag_Neato
05-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Curtis! I took them home at lunch and pulled one of them out. WOW! The natural bamboo is gorgeous....and solid as a rock! The knuckle rap test is on par with hi-end speakers costing much more than these sell for. I am very impressed. Cannot wait to hear them.

Curtis, I will try emailing the pics to you in the next day or so.

debo
05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Ed, you know where I live. Your welcome to bring them over...I'll be glad to break them in for you!

Mag_Neato
05-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Jeff, once they are set up you are more than welcome to stop by!

muzz
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quinn
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I take it the speaker fairy came today?

muzz
05-31-2007, 05:54 PM
I take it the speaker fairy came today?

Nope.. but she's on the way!!
:D

drewface
05-31-2007, 06:53 PM

you guys are crazy... :p

i wish i had the money to spend on a decent stereo receiver and a pair of sierra's for my room. now that i have my system hooked up to the big tv at home, i'm really missing having a good sound system for music in my room. :(

YNOS
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Anybody in canada thinking of getting rid of their old sytem, please contact me.
YNOS

curtis
06-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Looks like dedicated Sierra pages are up:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1C/srm1c.html

muzz
06-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Yep, looks good too.

Now all that seems to be left, is including it in the package area...

Looks like dedicated Sierra pages are up:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1C/srm1c.html

BOLTS
06-01-2007, 08:16 AM
All that is left is arriving at our doorsteps next week.;)

muzz
06-01-2007, 08:52 AM
All that is left is arriving at our doorsteps next week.;)

This is true!!

What was I thinking?!!

Oooooops, I guess I wasn't........ :D

zkaudio
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
my poor dog, I've been leaving them on all day while i'm at work to break them in!

muzz
06-01-2007, 09:57 AM
my poor dog, I've been leaving them on all day while i'm at work to break them in!

Poor Dog?

Poor YOU!!

He's at home listening to great speakers, loving life, drooling etc..
Your at work, slaving away, without sweet sound!!
DOG WINS by a landslide!!

I'll take his spot anyday.. ESPECIALLY on a FRIDAY!!

Grayson73
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
If you have the Sierras with TP-24 340SE stands, please post a pic!

Johnal
06-01-2007, 04:44 PM
If you have the Sierras with TP-24 340SE stands, please post a pic!

I won't be home until 6:45pm (PST), but if no one has posted by then I'll do it. :) They are a little short for my current setup, but they would probably look fine if my TV stand wasn't so tall. Anyway, ya...later :)

Johnal
06-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Some quick pics -- don't hold these against me for their iffy quality...just did them really quick before I leave to get some food

340 Classic Setup
http://www.pbase.com/sntacruz83/image/79796127

Sierra Setup
http://www.pbase.com/sntacruz83/image/79796130

Sierra with grill on stand
http://www.pbase.com/sntacruz83/image/79796129

Sierra -- attempt to show scratches...instead a picture with crazy reflections
http://www.pbase.com/sntacruz83/image/79796131

Sierra - with flash hitting directly on half the speaker and oversharpened to accentuate fine scratches on B-stock unit.
http://www.pbase.com/sntacruz83/image/79796132

One last Sierra Pic
http://www.pbase.com/sntacruz83/image/79797177

Mitch G
06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error when I try to look at the pics.

dallas
06-01-2007, 07:31 PM
i get that too, but refresh eventually fixes it.

Is it me, or do the ascend badges disappear after the first picture?

Johnal
06-01-2007, 07:47 PM
ack! Didn't realize i had responses already! I was just refreshing the page and my post was the last one on page 24...oops... i added one last pic...sorry!

Johnal
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
i get that too, but refresh eventually fixes it.

Is it me, or do the ascend badges disappear after the first picture?

hmm...pbase isn't the quickest for hosting pictures and having them show up soon after being uploaded...kinda lame...sorry.

Also, the ascend badges are only going to be on the first pic of the 340 classics. I didn't put them on the Sierra's yet.

Oh...by the way...my room is pretty poorly lit so trying to take a picture of black glossy speakers with a white background....gah...tough

JasonColeman
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
It's all good. Thanks for uploading the pics.

J.

dallas
06-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Curtis. You sneaky bastard. :-)

lol, I didn't even notice the first pic were the 340's and not s-1's. Silly me.

curtis
06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I downloaded Johnal's pics, and combined them with mine to create a Sierra gallery in my smugmug account:

http://changpics.smugmug.com/gallery/2938302

I'll host everyone's pictures there if they wish.

Quinn
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow! Johnal has the original Ascend logo on those 340s.

Johnal
06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Wow! Johnal has the original Ascend logo on those 340s.

haha...well, I DID until i swapped them out. I was even telling James I was thinking about keeping the logos in case it became a collector's item. ;P Speaking of which...

Curtis, didn't you have a couple hats or something when they switched the logo? I remember you tellin' me you had one for me a couple years ago...lol...still have it lyin' around?

curtis
06-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Curtis, didn't you have a couple hats or something when they switched the logo? I remember you tellin' me you had one for me a couple years ago...lol...still have it lyin' around?
I will have to look to see if I have an extra, it might cost you though. :)